Need Help With Finding a New Laptop!

StarOtter's Avatar StarOtter2/8/15 11:50 pm
2/13/2015 3:10 am
Killertoad's Avatar Killertoad
Recently I have been in search for a new laptop. I have always used a macbook pro and I absolutely love it but it seems that I can get a computer with better specs from a different company. I have listed a few things that I would like in this comp but they do not all have to be met.

Uses
- Multimedia (music, photoshop, etc.)
- Productivity (web surfing, school)
- Gaming (minecraft, star trek online)

Price
- 1000-1700 CAD (Canadian dollar)

Specs
- Around 13 inch
- Laptop
- 400gb Storage
- over 8gb of ram
- i7 Core
- 2gb vram.

Other
- Good Quality (I would like this comp to last)
- Preferably no acers. (I don't mean any offence to anybody but I don't like what they have to offer)
- Laptop, no desktops

Thank you all so much for replying!
StarOtter
Level 38 : Artisan Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/13/2015 3:10 am
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
starferret3
Yeah I know the specs are a little weird but I just want the comp to have it in and around that range. Also for that much it's easy to have 400gb storage and I did not specify it would be an HD it could also be a ssd. Ssd are far more expensive and I have only found around 256gb for that cost. For the size 15 inch is way to large for me, 13 will do.

It's hard to find a 13" laptop that has good enough specs for what you want to do with it.
02/13/2015 1:25 am
StarOtter
Anyway, @OP, this will suit your needs. However, I'm not sure if it's the best around. I'm not really an ultra expert on laptop prices. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6834152666[/quote]
much more tolerant? http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/amazing-alienware-alienfx-winamp-lightshow-addon-t445952-36.htmli dont think this is tolerance according to namechange i got scammed and i was getting loads of hate for going the direction of laptops this was around 2 months ago.... i was told it wouldnt run anything... it runs most of my library good, games it can barely play are payday 1&2 gta iv and saints row 2.... cant run crap my a**[/quote]
Tolerance to people wanting laptops due to portability, not tolerance to ignorance.
It can barely play those games? Do you know how old they are? That just validates their point. Anyways, that's not what OP asked for, and you're getting off topic.

@OP Just curious, why the weird spec requirements? Is 15 too big? And 400GB hdd? I'm not too sure you can buy a laptop with that budget with that little of space.[/quote]

Yeah I know the specs are a little weird but I just want the comp to have it in and around that range. Also for that much it's easy to have 400gb storage and I did not specify it would be an HD it could also be a ssd. Ssd are far more expensive and I have only found around 256gb for that cost. For the size 15 inch is way to large for me, 13 will do.
02/11/2015 10:01 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
gabiwabiA mac book air is what i'd get.

I'm not even going to critic this. I'm just going to simply say that a Mac will not suit his needs, considering he wants to play some games. OS X will suit some of his needs, but not his gaming need. Also, as everyone else in the history of Macs has said, they are overpriced.

lol123406
much more tolerant? http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/amazing-alienware-alienfx-winamp-lightshow-addon-t445952-36.htmli dont think this is tolerance according to namechange i got scammed and i was getting loads of hate for going the direction of laptops this was around 2 months ago.... i was told it wouldnt run anything... it runs most of my library good, games it can barely play are payday 1&2 gta iv and saints row 2.... cant run crap my a**

I remember that thread. A PC that can't run Saints Row 2 is a piece of garbage.
And how was Name scamming you?
And I said recently. That thread was nearly 4 months ago. That was last October. It's now February.

starferret3
Holy H*ll, those people are just flat out jerks. Would say another word but it would get me most likely kicked off this forum. Btw 150 for that comp... not bad. I am a bit of a hater towards alienware myself but that's just because I have been with apple for the longest time and I am not there target market. They still do preform very well on the gaming side of things.

We're actually not jerks. And as I said, recently, we're much more tolerant. Name is a good friend of mine, and he's the opposite of a jerk. Alienware is something that we will never recommend ever, due to bad build quality, and even worse technical support. That laptop was not worth $150. If I remember correctly, it had an old Core 2 Duo and a GT 630 or something. Spec wise it was decently priced. But just because it costs as much as building the parts doesnt mean it's worth it.
02/11/2015 9:57 pm
Level 27 : Expert Artist
gabiwabi
omg bruh laptops suck m8 desktops r better! JK! A mac book air is what i'd get.
02/09/2015 8:19 pm
Level 28 : Expert Narwhal
kayninesquad
Try looking on https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/. I know the computers are mostly focused on gaming but the beauty of site like this is that you can customize it for your own needs. This one looks cool https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xpl ... ing_Laptop
02/09/2015 8:39 pm
Woodilicious
Pro tip: Avoid cyberpowerpc like the plague.

starferret3
Hey thanks for the reply, although this laptop has nice specs it's much too large and seems to be focused purely on gaming. Gaming is an aspect of my search but it's one of my last priorities.

Ah, my bad. I didn't fully read the uses/specs list. Usually everyone on this site is a "give me the biggest and bestest for gaming for the lowest price" kind of person, so I just kinda looked for the laptop with the best specs that fits your budget. (Also apologies for listing that one which is over your budget. I had actually just put together a $1800 budget PC build list for my friend, and I forgot that your budget was $1700, instead of $1800, lol)
02/09/2015 2:36 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
watch out... i posted something like this a few times.... got so much hate and *desktops are better hergen dergen* when i said it was also for the portability. anyway you need cad prices? i can help i live in canada you can try newegg, best buy, future shop, canada computers, the source so many options but i seem to never pick the right "lapdesktop" so ill let the others help
02/09/2015 7:53 pm
Woodilicious
You must've posted a long time ago, because us people in the PMC group have become much more tolerant of peoples' wanting-ness of a laptop.

These days, we acknowledge the fact that you will get a much better deal if you build a desktop, and note the fact that an mITX build is just about as portable as a laptop.

Anyway, @OP, this will suit your needs. However, I'm not sure if it's the best around. I'm not really an ultra expert on laptop prices. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6834152666
02/11/2015 9:56 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
much more tolerant? http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/amazing-alienware-alienfx-winamp-lightshow-addon-t445952-36.htmli dont think this is tolerance according to namechange i got scammed and i was getting loads of hate for going the direction of laptops this was around 2 months ago.... i was told it wouldnt run anything... it runs most of my library good, games it can barely play are payday 1&2 gta iv and saints row 2.... cant run crap my a**
02/11/2015 10:12 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Yes, we are much more tolerant. I, have always been tolerant to laptops, but that... No... It was Alienware... No product by Alienware is good. Oh yeah, and you were getting suggestions and help, not hate. For the price you paid, you definately could have gotten something else that was much higher quality then what you got. And like I said, it was worth $30... Also... How can you not run them games? Looking at the minimum requirements for Payday 1 and Saints Row 2... Hahahaha. GTA 4 or Payday 2 aren't hard to run at all either, by the way. But meh, I guess that's what you get for buying an Alienware

Also, stop dragging this post off topic. OP doesn't need it, and you are just causing trouble.
02/11/2015 8:11 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Tolerance to people wanting laptops due to portability, not tolerance to ignorance.
It can barely play those games? Do you know how old they are? That just validates their point. Anyways, that's not what OP asked for, and you're getting off topic.

@OP Just curious, why the weird spec requirements? Is 15 too big? And 400GB hdd? I'm not too sure you can buy a laptop with that budget with that little of space.
02/11/2015 5:12 pm
StarOtter
Holy H*ll, those people are just flat out jerks. Would say another word but it would get me most likely kicked off this forum. Btw 150 for that comp... not bad. I am a bit of a hater towards alienware myself but that's just because I have been with apple for the longest time and I am not there target market. They still do preform very well on the gaming side of things.
02/09/2015 8:11 pm
StarOtter
Hey thanks for the reply, although this laptop has nice specs it's much too large and seems to be focused purely on gaming. Gaming is an aspect of my search but it's one of my last priorities.
02/09/2015 7:36 pm
StarOtter
Yeah I was a little worried at first about posting this but then I thought I could maybe take some of the hits people will throw at me but you know... people will always be people. Oh and don't forget all the people yapping about how "Ow you build a pc, it's way cheaper" xD

Also thanks for some tips!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome