Need new Processor...

1Zera1's Avatar 1Zera17/9/15 3:56 pm
7/12/2015 1:10 pm
robot_26's Avatar robot_26
I need atleast a 4ghz processor my dad will probably not pay more then 300 dollars for it.... it needs to fit a 775 socket so i need some help to find one.

P.S.
Please let me know if i posted incorrectly...
1Zera1
Level 25 : Expert Blockhead

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/10/2015 4:41 pm
1Zera1
So Basically What I'm getting From This Is That I Would Have To Replace My Mother Board In Order To Get a Better Socket??
07/10/2015 5:23 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
Exactly. But you might have to replace your gpu and cpu too. And probably the ram. After replacing those the power supply might not be enough, and if your using an old hdd/ssd(probably hdd) with an old mobo you might need to change the hdd too. The case should be changed too if it doesnt fit. it probably will fit and the hdd will be ok probably too. but you might need to completely rebuild.
07/10/2015 8:52 pm
Level 45 : Master Robot
robot_26
You don't need to change the case unless the case was designed to be proprietary.
GPU and HDD should be fine until they wear out (apparently 4 years now for HDD)
07/11/2015 2:49 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
I was going to say if its a really (like REALLLLYYYYY) old gpu and hdd, the new slots for them might not be compatible. Some really old hdd's used different slots i think.
07/12/2015 1:10 pm
robot_26
Its not that old. not 70s old. and there are like 2 types of formats with a bunch of revisions. SATA and PATA/IDE. If it has something like a 2007 core duo in it, it most likely has a SATA I/II in it.
07/10/2015 3:20 pm
robot_26
seijinshu
I Iz ShahidHOLD IT!

Do you have a graphics card at all!?!?!

Wow... Just Wow...

In order to see anything on a computer, you must have a graphics card. I think he can see an OS (most likely cheap Windoze trash) let alone plug a monitor into his computer (unless it is intergrated).

Not exactly, if the motherboard comes with imbedded graphics, you wouldn't need a graphics card (If you're doing light stuff that is). If we are trying to be cheap on a new board and cpu get an AMD APU bundle from Microcenter. an APU is essentially a processor with a built in graphics processing unit on it.
07/10/2015 3:07 pm
1Zera1
I Iz Shahid
RoboShadow
That doesn't mean the GPU is the problem. The CPU is probably really weak. (which would mean it has a weak iGPU more then likely)

My CPU barely clocks at 75% of its max potential when running the said modpack. It is definitely the IGPU. Anyways I believe that this discussion if out of the scope of the post

I have plenty of RAM for the said modpack to work on and my graphics card is a good one.... so it has to be my CPU.
07/10/2015 3:04 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
I Iz Shahid
RoboShadow
That doesn't mean the GPU is the problem. The CPU is probably really weak. (which would mean it has a weak iGPU more then likely)

My CPU barely clocks at 75% of its max potential when running the said modpack. It is definitely the IGPU. Anyways I believe that this discussion if out of the scope of the post
07/10/2015 3:02 pm
1Zera1
In reply to Jedi: I'm not a complete nerd that knows which piece to switch/change and what not to use a different socket but most people would be amazed at how much i know about computers so yea not false....
07/10/2015 2:30 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
I Iz Shahid
RoboShadow
I Iz Shahid
I mean't deticated GPU , OFC the CPU has integrated graphics but as we all know, its very weak...

Integrated it good enough for minecraft.

That's the beauty of minecraft

but my computer, a laptop with integrated graphics poops out completely after 50 mods and my newer laptop, still integrated, gets 30 FPS on 50 mods

07/10/2015 11:30 am
I Iz Shahid
RoboShadow
I Iz Shahid
I mean't deticated GPU , OFC the CPU has integrated graphics but as we all know, its very weak...

That's the beauty of minecraft

but my computer, a laptop with integrated graphics poops out completely after 50 mods and my newer laptop, still integrated, gets 30 FPS on 50 mods
07/10/2015 11:27 am
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
I Iz Shahid

07/10/2015 11:24 am
I Iz Shahid
seijinshu
I Iz ShahidHOLD IT!

Wow... Just Wow...

In order to see anything on a computer, you must have a graphics card. I think he can see an OS (most likely cheap Windoze trash) let alone plug a monitor into his computer (unless it is intergrated).

And yea, the socket is usually implanted on the board so you would need a new mobo to boot. but you could find a good one for 150-200 bucks, but that would wash out your budget for the CPU. Your choice a CPU that you Can't use or replace your mobo which won't change game performance. That is unless your new CPU fits in the LGA-755 socket
07/10/2015 6:20 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Jedi
To get a different socket type you would need to COMPLETELY REBUILD THE COMPUTER, not buy all new parts, just completely reassemble it with a new Motherboard.

lol you'd just need a new mobo and processor, why would you need to rebuild the entire thing?
07/10/2015 1:21 am
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
1Zera1
seijinshu
I Iz ShahidHOLD IT!

Wow... Just Wow...

By the way im not a he i'm a she...that happens to be a computer nerd unfournately atleast i don't have braces and glasses to complete the look XD

Also what piece of hardware would have to be switched out in order to have a different socket for a processor...??

This statement is truely false..

First you say you're a computer nerd, then you ask a very basic computer question.

To get a different socket type you would need to COMPLETELY REBUILD THE COMPUTER, not buy all new parts, just completely reassemble it with a new Motherboard.
07/10/2015 12:55 am
1Zera1
seijinshu
I Iz ShahidHOLD IT!

Wow... Just Wow...

By the way im not a he i'm a she...that happens to be a computer nerd unfournately atleast i don't have braces and glasses to complete the look XD

Also what piece of hardware would have to be switched out in order to have a different socket for a processor...??
07/09/2015 11:41 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
deleteplz
I Iz ShahidHOLD IT!

Wow... Just Wow...

07/09/2015 8:55 pm
I Iz Shahid
HOLD IT!

Do you have a graphics card at all!?!?! if not then do not buy a new processor, Minecraft will barely use half of your CPU capability but a graphics card albeit a semi-cheap $300 one will boost your whole system for ALL games at least 3 times as much as a new processor will. in fact a mobile processor with a good GPU will runn almost all games at 1080p max settings.

As for a graphics card I would go for either one of these:

AMD R9-290A:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150697

OR

NVIDIA GTX 970G1:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 814125684R

I would go for the Nvidia but both will be amazing boosts for your system

There are many more options, go to newegg.com and go to video cards, select your price range and get the card you would like, preferably higher clocks usually mean better performance and 4GB cards should be your max since you wont need even 1 GB for Minecraft.

-EDIT-

The video card would be the best investment you can make ATM untill you could save up for the other parts in the setup build in the post above. Games need GPU's to run a best settings, This is for sure
07/09/2015 10:16 pm
1Zera1
I have an AMD graphics card an expensive/good one at that and the modpack i want to play uses a bit more then half my CPU....soo yea....
07/09/2015 7:12 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Do you have DDR2 or DDR3 RAM in your system? Depending on the motherboard, you could have either or.

Socket 775 was one of those sockets that lasted for a long time. It started out on motherboards with DDR memory controllers and was discontinued at the start of the DDR3 era.
07/09/2015 7:38 pm
1Zera1
I have no idea.....sorry...
07/09/2015 7:59 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
53MP3RF1
Follow one of these instruction sets, it'll be easy and fast. I promise.

Method One
• First, hold down the Windows key and simultaneously press R.
• Once a small dialog box shows up, type in “dxdiag” without quotations.
• When a prompt box appears, click the “No” option - we don’t need to check to make sure your drivers are signed at this moment.
• Once the diagnostic tool has finished, take a screenshot of the “System” page and of the “Display” page. If you don’t feel comfortable with letting us know your computer’s name, simply draw over it with Microsoft Paint. If you have a service such as Gyazo, Lightshot, or puush, upload to those websites respectively. If you do not, use the snipping tool built in to Windows and then upload the result to a website like Imgur or tinypic.

Method Two (Requires Speccy)
• Download Speccy, and install it.
• When run, take a screenshot of the main page that lists all of your specifications on it. If you have a service such as Gyazo, Lightshot, or puush, upload to those websites respectively. If you do not, use the snipping tool built in to Windows and then upload the result to a website like Imgur or tinypic.

Piriform’s Speccy - a tool for analyzing your system’s specifications. It also has handy dandy temperature meters available, should you have them. • • Download

As for an ideal PC, you can probably get away with playing a modpack like the one you described for about $600, not including the cost of an operating system.

Build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($192.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $599.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-09 19:56 EDT-0400

As for your current $300 budget, I'd recommend you to ask your dad if you can splurge a little more so you can set yourself up for a nicer upgrade in the future.

Set-up Build

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $374.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-09 19:58 EDT-0400

This build has no discrete graphics card, but it should suit your needs fine for Minecraft until you gather up some more cash for one. Your whole system is quite old, and perhaps the only things salvageable to reduce cost would be the hard drive and possibly the memory, assuming it is DDR3.

Good luck!
07/09/2015 7:08 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
well, if you can run normal minecraft at 100 fps, modpacks with 200+ mods should not be a big problem. it should be possible even with your current setup, except you'd need to get your video settings as low as possible.
If you follow the suggestions that have been made and give whatever modpack launcher you use at least 1GB of RAM, you should not have any trouble. if the F3 screen shows that the memory usage is 90% or above often, up it to no more than 2GB of RAM, that is the absolute max you should need. With a decent video card as well, you should be able to play any minecraft modpack out there (not counting shadermods)
07/09/2015 7:10 pm
1Zera1
Yea i thought so to except apperantly this particular modpack i'm playing laggs a lot and when my dad checked my cpu it was using it up like crazy so yea....
07/09/2015 6:52 pm
1Zera1
Here is another question I play Minecraft alot and i enjoy the bigger modpacks like 200+ mods soo what would be the ideal computer to build??
07/09/2015 6:41 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
With that socket type, you have very few options.
However, since you can go up to $300, I threw together this

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $266.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-09 18:39 EDT-0400

Since you have a $300 budget, that is more than enough money to get a good processor, as well as a decent motherboard. (I threw in a new PSU, because with your current setup, I'd imagine you have a very low-wattage PSU)

If you can go slightly above $300, you might be able to get away with a 4690 and a slightly downgraded motherboard.
(But with personal experience, that motherboard and cpu I listed above are very good, and suit all of my needs)
07/10/2015 4:01 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
What this guy said
07/09/2015 6:48 pm
1Zera1
Great i will see what my dad thinks..
07/09/2015 4:48 pm
1Zera1
These are my current stats.....

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 DUO CPU E7500 @ 2.93 ghz 2.94 ghz

Memory: 8 gb

System: 64 bit operating system
07/10/2015 3:56 pm
robot_26
The Intel socket 775 chipsets are now obsolete (not exactly sure what date but I guess would be in 2009 when socket 1156 came out.)
NON TECH SAVVY SUGGESTIONS BELOW
If you don't know what you or anyone else is doing when building a computer, go buy a new one for 500 and it will save you the hassle of figuring out what goes where as well as lasting for another 6 years. If this applies to you, please ignore the ridiculous amount of text below.
TECH SAVVY SUGGESTIONS BELOW
From what I know, the Core 2 Duos are the last processors to be developed on that socket and therefore the most powerful processors ever developed on that socket. I don't know about you but if you still want to use mainboard, I suggest looking for the most powerful CPU developed on a 775 socket which is located here, although I'm not sure if your board supports it (I'm pretty sure it does).
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288597-28-what-powerful-socket-processor
Now If you want to upgrade both motherboard and cpu you can find it online in bundles starting from 100 bucks, I personally recommend Micro Center since they have the best deals.
Since you don't know what format of RAM you have whether it be DDR2 or DDR3 and may be wondering if it's still useable in the combo, compare yours with this picture below.

There are a lot of compatibility specs for the motherboard so check out the technical specifications to see if your current RAM is compatible with it.
Another thing to note is wattage, if your new board and processor is taking much more power than the previous one and your computer randomly sputters out, upgrade your power supply.
Once you have rebuilt your computer, you will need to remove previous motherboard drivers and install new ones, although I'm not sure about Microsoft's OS as I read though an article somewhere claiming that the OS will lock if they find the parts to be different.
~Trust me on this one as I'm a certified technician (A+ cert)~
07/09/2015 4:19 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
the adman2315
I mean you are definitelynot finding a 4 ghz processor for that price/socket
but there is this
07/09/2015 4:16 pm
I Iz Shahid
Why would you want a new CPU, most systems are bottle-necked by a GPU. To boot, gigahertz isn't even a good measure of CPU power, look at this video and it will explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcVBqwlnmlM

Post your computer stats (including motherboard) and I will get back to you .
07/09/2015 4:13 pm
1Zera1
Okay but it has to be new ish and it has to fit a 775 socket..
07/09/2015 4:07 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Programmer
deadrecon98
Haha! You can't get a 4 gigahertz processor for under $100. They all cost about $300-400.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome