New Computer/Laptop

XBlack_LeopardX's Avatar XBlack_LeopardX9/25/14 3:00 pm
9/25/2014 8:24 pm
Skioo's Avatar Skioo
Before you say id be better off building a computer then getting a laptop I know but I take my laptop everywhere practically so I need the portability and I do plan on also building a computer but not for some time

Im looking at getting a new laptop to replace my other one and im just wondering what other's opinions are on which laptops would be best. I was looking at this one in particular http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GP70-Leopard-Pro-Gaming-Laptop
If you have anything you'd like to say about weather its good or bad or if you would recommend something else over it it's much aprecatied as for a price range id prefer nothing thats to far above $1500
Mostly ill be using the laptop for playing games mainly minecraft but ive got others like planet explores and stuff, watching movies and school work of course
XBlack_LeopardX
Level 16 : Journeyman Mage

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/25/2014 8:24 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Skioo
This laptop would do great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 834231521R

And you can build this PC for $900

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.00 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.02 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($263.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($9.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $874.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-25 20:24 EDT-0400
09/25/2014 7:30 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Skioo
The A10's arent bad at all, my friends have that laptop and they play BF3 and Portal 2 very nicely.

You can build a pretty awesome desktop for 900 too.
09/25/2014 5:45 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Theufoguy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
That link didn't steal my soul.
09/25/2014 6:02 pm
XBlack_LeopardX
D:
09/25/2014 4:36 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Woody239Oh really?

That's the old one. It'll work, but it's not 1/4 inch thick like the newer model.
09/25/2014 4:34 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
TheShadbusher
It's a shame they discontinued the lapdocks, though. You can still find them on eBay, but they're not always in great shape.

Oh really?
09/25/2014 4:25 pm
Leeberator
Woody239

You can plug PCs into lapdocks?

You need a $3 adapter, but yeah. The lapdock has micro HDMI input, so all you need is an HDMI-to-micro HDMI adapter.

It's a shame they discontinued the lapdocks, though. You can still find them on eBay, but they're not always in great shape.
09/25/2014 4:18 pm
Woodilicious
TheShadbusher
Find Them Creepers
That's true, but I don't think he'd be wanting to carry a monitor and a mITX tower around with him everywhere. For terms of portable power, the Y50 is one of the best.

mITX build + a mouse + this

Very portable.

You can plug PCs into lapdocks?
09/25/2014 3:41 pm
Leeberator
Find Them Creepers
That's true, but I don't think he'd be wanting to carry a monitor and a mITX tower around with him everywhere. For terms of portable power, the Y50 is one of the best.

mITX build + a mouse + this

Very portable.
09/25/2014 3:33 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
Find Them Creepers
Afootpluto
CodingBuckets
op wanted to have a gaming laptop for portability is a fullblown computer portable no plus op said he/she wanted to build a computer later on

Actually a mITX build us as portable as a laptop.

They make portable monitors.
09/25/2014 3:30 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Afootpluto
CodingBuckets
op wanted to have a gaming laptop for portability is a fullblown computer portable no plus op said he/she wanted to build a computer later on

Actually a mITX build us as portable as a laptop.

09/25/2014 3:27 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
This is generally considered the best gaming laptop available:

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/le ... eries/y50/

The MSI is good, though. It has more RAM and a bigger screen, but that's it. The Y50 has as much RAM as you'll need, the exact same CPU, and a better GPU.
09/25/2014 8:04 pm
XBlack_LeopardX
One thing I forgot to mention is that Im looking for the larger screen the 17 inch or so thats what my current laptop is and i really like the larger screen I do know thats not much but ive worked with smaller screened laptops and stuff and ive always liked my larger screen
09/25/2014 5:00 pm
XBlack_LeopardX
I looked into it and ill consider it thanks!
09/25/2014 5:27 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
You should do what random recommended.

Build a desktop for ~700-900 dollars, and spend ~600 on a laptop with an APU. That laptop will play minecraft and a good amount of games fine. And then you'll have your desktop for main gaming.
09/25/2014 6:04 pm
XBlack_LeopardX
I do plan on building a really really nice computer later but I want to replace my laptop with a newer one because I need the portability and like laptops for other stuff but dont want just some crappy laptop
09/25/2014 6:27 pm
Woodilicious
A lot of APUs will run games just fine. As far as the ~600 laptop goes, this isn't bad, but it's probably not the greatest. I honestly have no idea how good/bad and price/performance for laptops are, but I would guess that the specs would be similar.

I have a computer with very similar parts (the desktop-equal parts), and I will sometimes get 100+ fps with maxed out settings in minecraft. (16 chunk render distance)
09/25/2014 3:01 pm
Afootpluto
Never get a iBuypower.
09/25/2014 3:12 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Insanity
whats wrong with them?
09/25/2014 3:19 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Randomness3333
Overpriced and often use lower quality parts. Their "gaming pcs" are unbalanced often place a top of the line cpu with a low end GPU which is bad for gaming.
Anyways, OP you shouldn't get a gaming laptop. It will cost you hundreds of dollars more than a similar priced desktop. You'll save even more money by building the pc like you said you wanted to. With 1500$ you can easily get a laptop AND a desktop. Use the desktop for low end games and bringing it around and use the gaming build for high end games. Or you can get a Mitx build and just bring it around to other places.
Replace the italicized text with your answers.
What is this computer going to be used for?
List what you will be doing with your computer.
What is your budget?
Include amount and currency.
Where do you live? If in the US, do you have a nearby Microcenter?
Your country lets us know what sites you can order from. If you have a nearby Microcenter they have some great in-store only deals that you can take advantage of.
What is included in the budget?
Things like the tower, the OS, peripherals and monitors.
Will you be overclocking?
Overclocking will require different hardware than a non-overclocking build so we need to know this.
Will you be reusing any parts?
If you are reusing parts list them here.
What OS do you want?
Say which OS you want or say if you already have a copy of one.
Any specific case preferences?
Size, color, etc.
Any other special features that you want in the build?
Stuff like an SSD, large hard drive, RAID, and wifi
09/25/2014 3:24 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
CodingBuckets
09/25/2014 4:12 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
But laptops are much more expensive, with much less power. mITX is the way to go, and plus, iBuyPower is really over priced. They have AMD-A6 computers for $800...
09/25/2014 3:29 pm
Afootpluto
Actually a mITX build is as portable as a laptop.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome