Opinions on integrated graphics?

Find Them Creepers's Avatar Find Them Creepers11/30/14 6:49 pm
11/30/2014 10:00 pm
Seghas's Avatar Seghas
So, I've been thinking of making a build for a while now, and while I'm skilled enough in the art to make myself a build on PCPartPicker*, I'm wondering whether it's worth buying an actual graphics card if I'm just going to get a good one later on.

I mean, I don't really play too many intensive games aside from Fallout New Vegas and occasionally Kerbal Space Program and Skyrim, and maybe Fallout 3 in the future, and those aren't very intensive themselves, but I'd like to be able to play on decent settings. Since the games aren't intensive, I think I can last for a while on the integrated graphics. I mean, I don't really see the point in getting something like a 370 or something when they come out when I build this if I'm going to end up getting a 970 later in the year. So I guess my question is....

What are some good intergrated graphics? (P.S- I'd prefer it to be Intel)

*I've learned much... especially the parametric filter, lol.
Find Them Creepers
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/30/2014 8:34 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc337468
[deleted]
11/30/2014 10:00 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
Seghas
APUs are a great choice for budget builds, but the downside is that you need faster RAM to make it fully utilized.
11/30/2014 8:26 pm
Seghas
I'd definitely choose the processor and motherboard first, I tend to go from top to bottom in terms of PCPartPicker with a few exceptions (PSU before case)
Anyway the build looks good to me.
11/30/2014 8:22 pm
Find Them Creepers
Yeah, I know about i5s vs i7s, but I think I'd prefer an i7 for the hyperthreading, but I'll wait for a good deal, if one ever comes up.

Anyway, I'm not requesting a build, so don't modify it, but this is the general idea I have: (Also, ignore fact that there's no mobo or case; I was too lazy to find some that are all compatible)

Prototype
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: *Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.98 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: *AOC E2260SWDN 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Keyboard: *Gigabyte KM5300 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($9.76 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $618.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-30 20:22 EST-0500

I also realise the PSU is waaaaay to much. Remember I'll be getting a dedicated GPU later. Also, faster RAM to feed the iGPU. I'd prefer an Asus monitor as well but meh, who cares. I also don't care for mechanical keyboards at this time.
11/30/2014 7:56 pm
Seghas
If the build is just for gaming, I'd go with an i5 over an i7. You don't need the extra horsepower over the i5 unless you're doing intense rendering or whatever.
11/30/2014 7:43 pm
Seghas
It depends on what iGPU you're talking about. The newer Intel ones and the AMD APUs are both fine for what you described, but a good $120 video card is definitely worth the separate price if you'll be doing anything more intensive (note that I haven't been into PC building for a few months now, so my knowledge is a little rusty (lol).
Of course waiting to get a $250+ GPU will ultimately be the best option for gaming.
11/30/2014 7:49 pm
Find Them Creepers
Well, basically my plan was to get a really decent CPU first and all the other parts and then a really good GPU a bit of time afterwards.

So, for example, an i7-4790 has a HD4600. It's $324 CAD, but it should be plently powerful. So assuming I get a great deal on it if I choose to buy it, and some fast RAM, I think it should last me a while.
11/30/2014 7:40 pm
Level 20 : Expert Lumberjack
Al CatSplat
Intel Iris Pro graphics are Intel's best integrated graphics.
But you should get a dedicated GPU.
11/30/2014 7:23 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
i ran my pc on integrated graphics for a year before obtaining a graphics card, it ran minecraft @ min settings fine (w/optifine) just dont use big mods and you'll be fine
11/30/2014 7:16 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Lol I don't think I've ever seen a thread like this before...

I don't really know much about integrated graphics, but from just basic logic,
For Intel, I would assume that something like the 4600 would be the best... (Integrated in the 4770k, and probably some others too)... Honestly, they're all just so bad, though. It's not even worth picking a specific one, lol, it's like comparing poop from a donkey to poop from a mule. They're basically all the same thing-- poop.

If you're okay with going with AMD (since you said that you would only prefer Intel), then definitely the A10-7850k comes with the best iGPU, even though it's still pretty bad.

If you've got the patience to deal with Intel integrated graphics, then you have the patience of a saint, my friend.
11/30/2014 7:35 pm
Find Them Creepers
My laptop has something like a 3600 and it runs most games fine. Not spectacularly, but it goes at 40-60 FPS on semi-low settings, so I would guess a newer rendition on a newer more powerful CPU would be better, lol.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome