Quick Question

Killertoad's Avatar Killertoad8/14/15 3:07 am
8/14/2015 8:28 pm
Johnanater's Avatar Johnanater

Does anyone know why this computer would be overheating? Who can spot the issue?
Killertoad
Level 22 : Expert Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/14/2015 6:21 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
searchndstroy
Ab Aeterno
Killertoad-snip-

Does anyone know why this computer would be overheating? Who can spot the issue?

Holy...

For starters, it's a pretty old CPU with a manufacturing process which is 4nm larger than today's standard, which makes it much worse at cooling. Aside from that, you have a core voltage of 2.856V, why? Did you OC it insanely high? I have no experience with older processors so I don't know if that's it's stock voltage but that's very high, which is most likely causing a lot of your issues.

In physical terms, check your cooling fans and vents and literally just clean them out. Make sure there's nothing clogging your fans.

KillertoadFor anyone that doesn't understand, 2.85v is insanely high. Stock for this said CPU is 1v-ish. For most haswell CPU's, 1.35ish is the max for a high overclock. 1.8v will fry a CPU beyond repair, and well, you can imagine what 2.85v will do to a CPU. You will be able to smell the CPU from a block away, lol.

I just wanted to see who would notice the issue, and who was just trying to be helpful. A few people here knew the issue, but didn't comment on the issue lol.

P.S. The cpu really isn't running at 2.85v, the sensor in the motherboard of CPU is bad and is putting this insane number out. I've never seen a CPU higher than 1.35v till this one haha.

Killertoad
SearchndstroySupplying too much power? I don't see a 2.6GHz clock requiring 2.8Volts...
Then again I don't work with hardware.

Wow you don't work with hardware yet give such a great observation?

Magic!
08/14/2015 5:56 pm
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Lacuna Corporation
Killertoad

Holy...

For starters, it's a pretty old CPU with a manufacturing process which is 4nm larger than today's standard, which makes it much worse at cooling. Aside from that, you have a core voltage of 2.856V, why? Did you OC it insanely high? I have no experience with older processors so I don't know if that's it's stock voltage but that's very high, which is most likely causing a lot of your issues.

In physical terms, check your cooling fans and vents and literally just clean them out. Make sure there's nothing clogging your fans.
08/14/2015 5:46 pm
Killertoad
For anyone that doesn't understand, 2.85v is insanely high. Stock for this said CPU is 1v-ish. For most haswell CPU's, 1.35ish is the max for a high overclock. 1.8v will fry a CPU beyond repair, and well, you can imagine what 2.85v will do to a CPU. You will be able to smell the CPU from a block away, lol.

I just wanted to see who would notice the issue, and who was just trying to be helpful. A few people here knew the issue, but didn't comment on the issue lol.

P.S. The cpu really isn't running at 2.85v, the sensor in the motherboard of CPU is bad and is putting this insane number out. I've never seen a CPU higher than 1.35v till this one haha.
08/14/2015 11:26 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
-Woody-as you make a sacrifice to the demon (CaptainMurica is a good person to be used for this )

08/14/2015 11:00 am
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

If not, your PC has a heat demon. To banish it, you must acquire five candles, and position them all equidistant from each other around the PC. Then light them, and play the motherboard driver disc backwards, as you make a sacrifice to the demon (CaptainMurica is a good person to be used for this ). As he is sacrificed, you will immediately see a drop in cpu temps, and the demon will be banished.
08/14/2015 9:28 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
UltraFireFX
Killertoad

I fail to see the actual core temperature of the CPU, download Speccy with the link I attached below and check the average core temperature, 20-40 degrees idle and 30-60 degrees should be absolutely fine, really.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
08/14/2015 9:18 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc771545
[deleted]
08/14/2015 9:22 am
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
Yes, overclocking will sometimes cause it to overheat.

And last year when this happened, it turned out my Power Supply had broken causing the fan to stop running and then it literally melted them motherboard and the CPU from overheating. Don't think yours is this serious, might be just dust in the fan. I'd recommend checking
08/14/2015 9:25 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
UltraFireFX
You should NOT need to under-clock a CPU from stock settings to maintain a good temperature! If you don't have good temperatures and you overclocked, I'd suggest you pull them back a bit, however.

Also, may I ask why you didn't check if your fan was operational? And how was it setup because you should ALWAYS have you CPU fan connected directly to your motherboard (if the fan gets cut, so the does the CPU 99.99% of the time).
08/14/2015 9:32 am
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
I didn't say he had to. I said overclocking can SOMETIMES cause overheating, which is definitely true.
08/14/2015 7:44 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
searchndstroy
Supplying too much power? I don't see a 2.6GHz clock requiring 2.8Volts...
Then again I don't work with hardware.
08/14/2015 5:38 pm
Killertoad
Wow you don't work with hardware yet give such a great observation?
08/14/2015 7:34 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
Make sure nothing is hogging CPU
Check fans work and their speed matches temperature
Change thermal paste
Clear out any dust
Keep the PC in a place where air can move freely
08/14/2015 7:05 am
Level 40 : Master Nerd
Rawstrus
Try a fresh coat of thermal paste, perhaps a new heatsink or clear out any dust on the current one. You should also clear out intake and outtake fans, as they may be clogged with dust. Do not get dust on the thermal paste when changing it.
08/14/2015 8:28 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Thermal Paste. Heh.

@OP It's really hot at my house right now. I have no AC... Try to make sure the fans are facing the right way? You might like this idea
[yt]QmSBaizEqkk[/yt]

This would be awesome.
08/14/2015 5:03 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
12345elli
I did the same thing as AnimeFanFTW, works a charm ^_^
08/14/2015 4:57 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
I had the same problem, where my computer would just shutdown. I cleaned the ventilation, and put a fan near it, and it works fine.
08/14/2015 4:02 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Technomancer
infered5
Check the fans and ventilation, make sure the intake isn't clogged or obstructed. Otherwise your computer may have grown aware of its own miserable existence and is attempting to end its own life so that it may finally know peace from this torment.

Or maybe it's just getting old, I dunno.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome