Should I Build A Proper Gaming PC?

Fanjawi's Avatar Fanjawi2/20/16 3:09 pm
3/13/2016 8:37 pm
Killertoad's Avatar Killertoad
Greetings!

So let me get to the point..

Years ago I was really against PC gaming.. but day after day I was starting to be "this could work out for me you know?" I have been playing Skyrim on my PS3, and it sucks. When I see the graphics of it on PC's my jaw drops. In the PS3 I have to wait an entire minute sometimes just to enter a city, but when I watch videos, it literally takes seconds. And mods.. I thought mods ruined the experience but hell no, it makes things better! So now I'm seriously considering building one.

I have a PS4 which I do all my gaming on. I mean it gets the job done.. but my day to day PC is broken right now, but even if it was working, It gets a hard time running Minecraft with mods. I have an XBOX One, but it has been sitting, collecting dust. And A PS3 which I only use to play Skyrim and Oblivion.

My budget is 600-700$. Is it worth it to spend that much money on a gaming PC even if I have a console? I mean, its not gonna be only for gaming, its gonna be my day to day PC too.
Fanjawi
Retired Moderator
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/13/2016 8:37 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Fanjawi
Killertoad
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Toshiba P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card ($303.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($7.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $723.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-13 19:55 EDT-0400

This is the build I'd recommend, Can't get Windows 7 anymore without it being over 120 (not mainstream supported anymore), so choices really are only 8.1 or 10, unless you buy the key from else where. (/r/microsoftsoftwareswap)

This is in USD, from US stores, so not sure how shipping would be from US to Oman, but I assume it'd be cheaper than buying from middle eastern stores (If I remember correctly, the stores there were marked up pretty high).

Can this run modded skyrim on high? Because that's the first thing ill do haha

Yes, very well too. Especially with the 8gb Vram, helps with the graphics mods and such for skyrim, since those seem to hog all the vram.
03/13/2016 8:19 pm
Fanjawi
Killertoad

Storage: *Toshiba P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($7.98 @ Amazon)

This is the build I'd recommend, Can't get Windows 7 anymore without it being over 120 (not mainstream supported anymore), so choices really are only 8.1 or 10, unless you buy the key from else where. (/r/microsoftsoftwareswap)

This is in USD, from US stores, so not sure how shipping would be from US to Oman, but I assume it'd be cheaper than buying from middle eastern stores (If I remember correctly, the stores there were marked up pretty high).

Can this run modded skyrim on high? Because that's the first thing ill do haha
03/13/2016 7:59 pm
Killertoad
Fanjawi
Killertoad
If you could, please fill this out (as best as you can, if you're not sure about certain things, then leave blank and we will fill it in ourselves.)
What is this computer going to be used for?
List what you will be doing with your computer.
What is your budget?
Include amount and currency. Also, are you fine with mail-in-rebates?
Where do you live? If in the US, do you have a nearby Microcenter/Fry's Electronics?
Your country lets us know what sites you can order from. If you have a nearby Microcenter/Fry's they have some great in-store only deals that you can take advantage of.
What is included in the budget?
Things like the tower, the OS, peripherals and monitors.
Will you be overclocking?
Overclocking will require different hardware than a non-overclocking build so we need to know this.
Will you be reusing any parts?
If you are reusing parts list them here.
What OS do you want?
Say which OS you want or say if you already have a copy of one.
Any specific case preferences?
Size (form factor), color, etc.
Any other special features that you want in the build?
Stuff like an SSD, large hard drive, RAID, and wifi

-Playing games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, etc.
-Photoshopping.
-Making Powerpoint presentations, but rarely.
-Browsing the web day to day.

What is your budget?
I'm not 100% sure yet, but the very most is probably 700-800 US Dollars.

Where do you live? If in the US, do you have a nearby Microcenter/Fry's Electronics?
I live in Oman.

Everything except monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I'm not sure what overclocking does.

Not reusing anything since the PC I have is an all in one.

What OS do you want?
Windows 7.

Not really, but a case that I can build easily on.

Wifi for sure. Also, the graphics card needs to be an HDMI cable, since my monitor has HDMI in and out.

03/13/2016 7:51 pm
Fanjawi
KillertoadAlso I saw you live in Oman, do you plan on ordering the parts from the US and shipping it there?

Yeah, but I really don't want to wait a long time just to recieve it.. if you find a middle east website with all the parts available that would be great.
03/13/2016 7:20 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Modder
takochako987
Build a PC. I'm building one soon for $800 and I will never regret it. Building a compuer yourself is WAYYYYYYY better than buying them pre-built. In most cases, you will get the same performance of a $1100 pre built PC for $700. If you want help choosing parts these are the ones I'm going to use: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vvFWVn
I'm going to be playing ARK: Survival Evolved a lot (and I mean a LOT) once I build the PC, and judging from what I've seen with about the same parts back in July and August of 2015, when my laptop couldn't even boot up the main menu without crashing and now my laptop can get 10 fps (Yes, I know that is terrible), but the computer I am going to build will be 4-6 times more powerful than my current laptop. Basically what I am saying is, BUILD A PC.
03/13/2016 6:28 pm
Fanjawi
Okay, so I found this website, and it sells already built custom PC's, and shipping will only take 1 to 2 working days, because they're right next to my country, so yeah.

I think custom built will help a lot since I am worried I will mess up my PC because I have never built one before. And I worry when buying separate parts that some may be broken or something.

So anyways, in the site there's this PC that goes for 750$, here are the parts. (Of course, it also comes with every other part you need, along with keyboard, mouse, WiFi adapter, mouse pad, gaming posters, LED Strip lighting and even GTA V installed.)
03/13/2016 7:32 pm
Killertoad
No, you won't mess anything up, it's not hard at all, and even if parts do come in broke (very rare) all you do is RMA it, and they'll send you a brand new one.

That PC is overpriced, and not to mention that CPU is very outdated. I'll make you a build in a minute, and a video on how to build one.

Also I saw you live in Oman, do you plan on ordering the parts from the US and shipping it there?
03/13/2016 6:38 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
With GTA 5 installed? wow... That sounds good cause you know how long it takes to install if you install it yourself? (takes ages) So thats a good away around it.
02/27/2016 4:47 am
Fanjawi
Killertoad
If you could, please fill this out (as best as you can, if you're not sure about certain things, then leave blank and we will fill it in ourselves.)
What is your budget?
Your country lets us know what sites you can order from. If you have a nearby Microcenter/Fry's they have some great in-store only deals that you can take advantage of.
Overclocking will require different hardware than a non-overclocking build so we need to know this.
What OS do you want?

-Playing games like Skyrim, Witcher 3, etc.
-Photoshopping.
-Making Powerpoint presentations, but rarely.
-Browsing the web day to day.

What is your budget?
I'm not 100% sure yet, but the very most is probably 700-800 US Dollars.

I live in Oman.

Everything except monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I'm not sure what overclocking does.

Not reusing anything since the PC I have is an all in one.

What OS do you want?
Windows 7.

Not really, but a case that I can build easily on.

Wifi for sure. Also, the graphics card needs to be an HDMI cable, since my monitor has HDMI in and out.
02/26/2016 6:57 pm
Killertoad
BeheasalIf you want a reference because -snip- reading all that, this is the specs to my custom built.

Intel i5 6600k @ 4,6ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
Gigabyte 980ti Extreme
Samsung 850-Series EVO 250GB
Corsair 240gb Force Gs
Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
Corsair CS650 650W
Corsair H105
Parvum S2.0

I have never had a frames per second problem and I use this for too many things.

Because that's a $700 build lmao. That 980ti alone is $720. lol just lol.
02/26/2016 6:05 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Beheasal
If you want a reference because fuck reading all that, this is the specs to my custom built.

Intel i5 6600k @ 4,6ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
Gigabyte 980ti Extreme
Samsung 850-Series EVO 250GB
Corsair 240gb Force Gs
Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
Corsair CS650 650W
Corsair H105
Parvum S2.0

I have never had a frames per second problem and I use this for too many things.
02/26/2016 2:44 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragonborn
BestAnarchy
Well kinda. Let's say you spend $700. I'm assuming you don't have a monitor. This will be around $100 for a decent one. Don't waste your money on keyboard right now. $25 for the keyboard. Mouse is $25 with a mousepad. Now you have $500 for the actual computer. You can make a decent computer with that. It'll probably run as well as your ps4 and xbox one. Keep in mind computer parts prices drop very quickly. This means you can get cheap used parts but if you buy them new and try to sell them later you are going to lose a lot of money. If you have a monitor keyboard and mouse I would say it's worth it. Otherwise it's up to you but I would say ps4 almost as good as a $500 computer.
02/26/2016 2:49 pm
Killertoad
He stated he has one, plus you can get a mouse/kb bundle at walmart for like 15-20 dollars....

and consoles aren't close to a $500 build? lol...
02/22/2016 2:38 pm
Level 1 : New Artist
Delletedd
I can help! i have a £3000 PC and it runs smoothly £700 is not a bad budget you can get a good PC for that kind of money. in the future i would consider upgrading specs though but feel free to private message me if you need any advise or help considering this subject or any other in this matter!

-EnDiAmOnD
02/26/2016 12:00 pm
Killertoad
I wouldn't listen to someone who brags about their $4160 computer, then tries to tell you about a $700 PC. Not to mention, won't post on the forum and help out, along with maybe a few other people.

But OP, with that budget, you can easily play any game on atleast high settings. If you were to sell your old consoles, you could easily get a really high end PC.

What is your budget?
What OS do you want?
02/22/2016 2:38 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Toast
Enn
I think, if you still have that old PS3 sell it along with the XBOX and with any games that you have for them. Then you should have a good amount of money for a decent PC.

Then you still have a PS4!

Hope I helped
02/20/2016 3:19 pm
Level 29 : Expert Taco
-Stuffy-
I say that if you have a PS4, sell the Xbox and PS3 get some more money and then you'll have around $1000. Then you can build/buy something that will run most games on highest settings.
02/20/2016 3:21 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Dolphin
Pandub
Yes thats probably your best bet and yes you should get a pc
02/20/2016 3:36 pm
Fanjawi
Thats a really good idea! It makes sense.. I want to have the PS4, and I dont need the XBOX or the PS3..

A question though. Would a 600-700$ PC be able to run Skyrim on high settings, with mods?
02/26/2016 11:48 am
Level 29 : Expert Taco
-Stuffy-
Yes I have a £500 pc and it runs most games on full settings. You'd need to look at the specs though and see if you could.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome