Team Fortress 3 discussion | How would you want it?

Zelkia's Avatar Zelkia12/16/16 11:04 pm
1 emeralds 671 3
12/17/2016 11:20 am
Monotone's Avatar Monotone
Let's face it, TF2 isn't doing as hot as it used to. Not that it's dying or anything, but it's weakening. Valve is making some silly decisions causing a lot of people to leave the game. Every time we think they're listening, they go do something like Scream Fortress 2016. Contracts didn't even work most of the update. For some, it didn't work at all! So, a lot of people thing its time for a facelift. Including me. So, how would you want a TF3? Would you want a separate game at all? Let's discuss that. Tell me what you think of mine, and if you disagree, tell me what you think it should be!

Items!
First off, the game should be relatively the same in content, but not in its systems. The item ranking system- Unusual, Vintage, Strange, things like that, would be reworked, in that the names would be different. THere's not much to change with the ranking system- The only major change they should make is telling you the chance you have of getting unusuals, stranges, and whatnot. And it would be different between each box.
Unusuals would generally be called unusual but each unusual item would simply be the unusual effect's name followed by the cosmetic's name. Like, "Bubbly Dangeresque, too?". Because Demopan memes!
Regular items would come in 2 flavors- Classic, and Brand-spanking-new, because we all know Valve's sense of humor. Classic would go for both TF2 items and items gotten early in TF3's life cycle. Essentially, they would rename each item rank, and possibly have the 2 equal ranks, similar to the Classic or New rank. Same rank, different names.
Classic/TF2 items should be obtainable by all means, and not limited to those who have TF2. There should be some way to differentiate items between Classic and New, but i haven't worked that out. Aside from the 2/3 equal ranks system, i've got nothing there.

Mechanics!
While the games mechanics would be completely overhauled, various ideas and gameplay styles would be kept the same. While movement, jumping, and crouching would be redone, Rocket jumping would be kept the same, with C-Tapping and Ctrl+Space+Rocket first still working despite the new mechanics. In favor of lost mechanics- Such as Crouch-jumping to jump higher- There would be new mechanics in place, such as the ability to grab ledges and jump onto them. Despite many common-used mechanics in TF2 being exploits of sorts, like crouch-jumping, they have become staples in the game, and should, one way or another, be carried over to the "new" game.
Perhaps, even take some ideas from Overwatch. With classes in TF2, the closest things you get to different mechanics is Scout's double-jumps and the different speeds of different classes. An idea is Scout being able to wall-run, wall jump, and whatnot, Soldier has rocket jumping, Pyro can fall slower and negate fall damage by firing his downwards, Demo has sticky-jumping, Heavy would have his signature speed (Or lack of it), as well as fall harder and sink, though he would take less damage than other classes. Engie would be able to grab physics items, health packs, ammo packs, and whatnot and carry them with his wrench, Medic would run the speed of other classes when healing them- just like he does now- Sniper would have steadier aim, and the spy would go invisible, sneak-crouch, put himself up against the wall Wind-waker style, generally the Spy would have a lot of common stealth mechanics. Characters in movement mechanics all feel the same in TF2, and they could easily fix that.

Content- Maps, gamemodes, and stuff!
They should divide gamestyles into 3 styles, not including training- Classic, which is a Quickplay/Casual combination, Competitive, for which they would hand development over to Hidden Path, the developers of CS:GO, known for it's competitive system, as well as Story/Campaign, divided into 2 styles- Mann VS Machine, and a game adaptation of the actual TF2/3 story.
Classic mode would be divided into 3 modes- Classic (TF2 only maps and weapons, excluding new stock weapons), New (Or some other name, which has new maps and gamemodes as well as old maps and gamemodes with the new weapons allowed) And Special, like Payload Race, Special Delivery, Mannpower, and so on.

Overall, the game should look the same on the surface, but when you dig in, it's a different game completely. Mechanics are different, items work differently, you get 2 stock sets (Classic stock and New stock for each class), movement is different, classes are easier to differentiate by their gameplay style, and most importantly, the game should be more open to newcomers. A full on training mode, as well as a story, will be there to teach the player how the game works.

Do you agree with my idea or not? Do you think it should simply be a massive update instead of a new game with the same face on the surface? Should it be a different game overall? Go ahead, tell me how you think a new Team Fortress should work out!
Zelkia
Level 39 : Artisan Nerd