Is their any reason this wouldn't work?

iFallOffStuff's Avatar iFallOffStuff10/27/16 4:21 pm
1 emeralds 1.1k 10
11/4/2016 10:43 am
Azie's Avatar Azie
I had this idea, which I think is a good one.. but it probably isn't. Basically my idea is to buy custom parts for PC's, assemble them in a build and sell them for more...

But I don't know if it would work... I'd originally start with just hardware to create something that will be used mainly for applications such as word or excel. Nothing like a monitor or keyboard (but probably wi-fi).

Tell me if you think it would work , I don't want to spend £100 on a build then receive offers of £25.

Thanks!

Few extra things:
I'll be selling online most likely, on sites like ebay.
iFallOffStuff
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/04/2016 10:43 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I wouldn't start by trying to sell a computer you've invested in and already built. That's how you end up in the hole really fast unless you have a large customer flow. Line up a buyer first, figure out what they're looking for, ask for their budget, get them a quote, take payment, and then order the parts and assemble. This way there's no investment cost for you and you have a guarunteed buyer before you even start ordering.
11/04/2016 9:08 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Fish
EmbarassingOldAccount
Of course it would work. When all the parts are put together it has a higher price as a whole. Your only issue is sales per month. You definitely can't live off this as an at-home job.
11/04/2016 6:58 am
mikennar
I agree with the others, your biggest problem here is not being able to compete with large companies and make a decent profit margin. Don't forget, there's also your time and labour involved! Unless you build PCs for fun in your spare time anyway of course...
10/30/2016 8:20 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Noctris
Problem is, when people are buying from you its no longer considered NEW, therefore you cannot charge them the full price.

This will probably work better with used parts, rather then new ones.
10/27/2016 4:54 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
It would work but don't expect to make much profit from it at all - certainly not enough to act as a full time job.

You could probably mark up about 5% (So for every £100 you pay you'd get back £105). Much more than that and people will go with the bigger prebuild companies around ebay who offer warranties and are a legit business, or just build it themselves.
10/28/2016 4:15 am
iFallOffStuff
Here's a list I made on PCpart picker, I copied the exact same parts from here:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scan-H15i-Pre-built-PC-Intel-Core-i5-6400-Quad-Core-8GB-Corsair-DDR4-RAM-1TB-/122102247681?hash=item1c6ddc7101:g:DsIAAOSw65FXwNFF The build cost £585 on ebay, to make it myself would only cost £438, and i've even put in a most likely better power supply than they used. So with the 5% charge you suggested it's £459.. so just less than £150 pounds cheaper than the build off ebay.
10/30/2016 7:12 am
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
Two things to note here.
Firstly, that's made by Scan, a large company who deal in hundreds of parts. They have a fully dedicated support team, and that's part of what you're paying for there - if that computer breaks, you return it to them and you'd have it repaired and back to you within a week. You probably wouldn't have such a service (bearing in mind you would have to freely replace a potentially expensive part if you offered it), so you wouldn't be able to charge as much.

Secondly, fees. Ebay charges a flat 10% fee on the end of the listing, plus various fees to create it to begin with - the fees on that one would therefore be around the 60 mark. PLUS PayPal charges another 3.4% on the full amount; another 20 - so even before their warranties and service etc, they're only making 65.

(Also, as a third minor thing, you do not have a courier mass shipping contract - you'd have to charge more than 4.98 for postage because you'd be sending one-off parcels via royal mail/parcelforce etc, which brings up your total. As an example, PF48 on an average sized/weight PC in a MIDI case would probably be about 12.50, Royal mail signed for 16-17.)

My 5% suggestion was in terms of profit. If you sold the 438 computer for 459, you'd lose money. My 5% was maybe overzealous - if you wanted a 5% profit off of that, you'd have to charge 520.50 (459 + 13.4% fees) plus postage in order to cover fees. Without warranties, people would rarely pick that over the well known and reputable Scan.

--

A sort of related point as well; Scan get their parts cheaper, because they buy them in bulk and sell individual parts too, meaning they're actually making more profit-per-PC than you possibly could - which is what makes it so hard to compete with them.

EDIT: One one one more thing - PC Part Picker doesn't include postage fees. It depends on where your parts are sourced from, but that could drive your build cost up between 10 and 30 quid extra too.
10/28/2016 3:57 am
iFallOffStuff
Ok thanks, I'll think about it some more. But yeah, it won't be a full time job.
10/27/2016 4:28 pm
JakeCostaCoffee1
I say it would work for a little extra since you could save alot of hassle and help clueless rich kids!
10/28/2016 4:17 am
iFallOffStuff
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome