Website Template opinion

planetminecrafter52342's Avatar planetminecrafter523424/26/14 5:57 pm
5/2/2014 10:39 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
I've been working on a template for a while now, and figure I should get opinions on what should be changed/modified.

So what do you think of the template my website is using.
http://galacticarc.ca

Here is a few things to check out for the layout as well:
My profile for example: Profile link

Ps. I did make the entire website from scratch, the programming, and the template itself.
Posted by planetminecrafter52342's Avatar
planetminecrafter52342
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/02/2014 10:39 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Bug #2: Registration now works, but activation link in email leads to 404.
04/29/2014 9:07 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
kogan007
By modern, maybe something neater, like using bootstrap, just try not make it too "cookie cutter", but it would modernize the website in some ways. My mom is a web developer for her job, and she uses just a touch of some frameworks to make a site look good, as well as simple like you previously mentioned, but the farther we progress into the website industry, the more modern websites should become, and you can always make your own css, but it kind of looks like a old school wiki page, not what you are doing at all.
04/29/2014 8:55 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
alan
looks alot better then when i first saw it! great job!!
04/29/2014 8:37 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
eminemfan33
Looks like Webs SiteBuilder 2 site with heavy custom CSS work to make it look like it's older than the universe. Perhaps make it appear more modern?
04/29/2014 8:45 pm
planetminecrafter52342
How would I make it more modern?
04/29/2014 8:00 pm
Level 45 : Master Dragonborn
Ninniy
It's a little...
gray.
04/29/2014 7:58 pm
Level 42 : Master Modder
A5H73Y
Wow.
This website is incredible, the login / register system is secure. (Tried a few injections (Always returns back to the home page, Odd.))
The code used is very good and advanced.

Whoever says it looks boring REALLY needs to try and make a website like this from scratch and see if graphics are the most important thing. -.-

I had a job as a web developer, and I couldn't produce anything as complex as this.
Very impressed! Keep it up!
04/29/2014 8:20 pm
planetminecrafter52342
Thank you a lot man! Also I thank you even more for doing injections, it makes me happy to know how secure it is

I worked very hard on making sure that security is good, so I am proud of that. I've been working on that website since last summer, which makes it my longest and biggest project yet. And I am looking for people to possibly join in on the project.
04/29/2014 7:05 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Pyro
Supernova666
In my opinion the blues are a little boring, if it were me I would change the blues to a single blue.

You might also want to try adding a font-family to the body in the CSS. Helvetica might look nice, anything will look better than Times New Roman.

The class "bbcode_code_body" needs to be fixed for mobile (iPhone in the least) view, the text over spills. That is the main thing for mobile viewing, the site as a whole could be improved for mobile viewers. @media(max-width:####px){css code} could be used, it's not ideal, but ti works nonetheless. This ought to help for display sizes for mobile devises.

You're welcome to PM me if you want any more feedback or have any questions.
04/29/2014 6:46 pm
planetminecrafter52342
If the website is messed up while viewing it, post your browser, and an image, and I will try to fix the CSS for it.
This is what it should look like, with some links not there as well.
04/29/2014 6:30 pm
planetminecrafter52342
Ok, I did quite a few changes, I made the menu so it no longer scrolls with the page, and added a header area.

Edit: Seems google chrome didn't like the changes, I will fix that.
04/29/2014 6:37 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
Jeffrey7747
My Chrome doesn't like it, nope... But I like where this is going, those buttons look more modernized, and it really "feels" like you are pressing them when hovering over them. It is also good to see that more colour is being implemented, and large 1-coloured parts are getting more colours. This might be a bit more appealing for people to actually look at.
04/29/2014 5:38 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
I suggest trying a lighter background color. Just my opinion. Looks pretty good to be hand made though.
04/29/2014 5:37 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Modder
xAstraah
Since i like simplicity this theme is perfect for people like me.

Good Job!
04/29/2014 5:30 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Warrior
xxUnbeatablePro
NOTE: This if from a proffesional view.

Although you want an simplistic website, I really suggest making some modernized things. Its a server website... Nothing more. You want to attract people, not give them information, not even discussing if its for monetizing or fun. Its made from scratch okay, but guess almost everyone who is at least a little bit serious about websites can make this. The resizing is done good though! (with a few bugs like text going out of the box, but thats fixable).

So as I said, modernize it, and MAKE people come to your website.
04/29/2014 5:32 pm
planetminecrafter52342
It is not a server website, but I will work on modernizing it a bit then.
04/29/2014 5:07 pm
Jeffrey7747
I have one little thing to report, that might be a bit "dumb" but I'm going to do it anyways.

As I earlier said, the template looks amazing. But when hovering over "Community" and "Information", do you see the little red line on the right of the button? Underneath the dropdown menu, you have an onHover image. You could fix it by making the image there not an onHover one, or make the dropdown menu a bit wider. I have no idea if I am saying it right, I have little experience with coding, I'm an artist! :p

Oh, and the grey line of the menu is an other color then the rest of the non-menu line and the dropdown menus

If you think that I am typing some random stuff, don't worry. You don't have to look into it if you think that it is unnecessary xD
04/29/2014 5:10 pm
planetminecrafter52342
The menu bar does not use on hover images at all. I use all CSS for that menu. It just changes the border on the bottom to a different color. But I see what you mean by that. Its a 5x1 red thing appearing. I will fix that.

Also I already know the color is a bit different, I am not sure why.
Edit: Fixed the little red line appearing.
Edit 2: Fixed the bottom line color after the menu
04/29/2014 5:06 pm
planetminecrafter52342
SnowyfoxI actually love the old style. No website does this kind anymore; it's a practical layout that's easy to read and navigate around in, not to mention being pretty.

So far,

Although, you might want to move the User Panel window a bit to the right so it doesn't touch the edge of the browser's window.

Ok thanks for the feedback, I'll try that.

Edit: The spacing from the side of the window actually does make it a bit better, awesome thanks.
04/29/2014 5:05 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
I actually love the old style. No website does this kind anymore; it's a practical layout that's easy to read and navigate around in, not to mention being pretty.

So far,

Although, you might want to move the User Panel window a bit to the right so it doesn't touch the edge of the browser's window.

*EDIT* The profile actually looks awesome, and I like the touches you did on the dropdown menus on the top.

Also, I tried to register, but I kept getting username problems even though they were legal usernames. Check if bug?
04/29/2014 5:01 pm
planetminecrafter52342
Ok, Well I changed a bit more to the website, removed some duplicate links. Any other opinions?
04/26/2014 6:12 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
DrMedia
I'm not going to lie, but in my opinion, it looks.. 'eww'?

As somebody else stated, it's pretty old school. It looks like an IBM BIOS screen back from the 2000.

Content and layout wise, looks decent, but design aspect just hurts my eyes.
04/26/2014 6:09 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Fanjawi
It's simple, but looks a bit.. old school. I think doing it graphically would be better for this time and age, but whatever suits you is fine.
04/26/2014 6:11 pm
planetminecrafter52342
I am trying to keep it simple, and not have a ton of CSS files/images to load, so pages load fast and efficient.
04/26/2014 6:07 pm
Jeffrey7747
It is getting somewhere nicely built up by hand. Graphicallywise, you might want to add a few more colours in the theme, and change the font, since this font reminds me of pages that are not being loaded properly or to error-codes when a page doesn't load.
04/26/2014 6:04 pm
Level 22 : Expert Cake
megamx360
Its pretty good, informative yet simplistic, great job
04/26/2014 6:00 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Toast
WillyWonka125
I get that it's all hand-made and all, but it looks like a dinosaur. Modernized, however, I think it'd look pretty awesome. Good job.
04/26/2014 6:07 pm
planetminecrafter52342
I take looking like a dinosaur is bad, any suggestions?

And also, the template does have mobile support, re-sizing screen works to.
04/29/2014 5:18 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
I think he means that it looks like a template you'd see using Windows 95
04/26/2014 6:00 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
VortexPit
Well in my opinion as a Graphic designer I think that it is great for being handmade from scratch! Now if it was made by some professional company I would expect a lot better work. But for a average person making it I think it looks great!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome