Why are all PC games download only?

supernotch893's Avatar supernotch8934/16/15 4:46 pm
1 emeralds 204 4
4/16/2015 5:23 pm
MissMarifire's Avatar MissMarifire
I know this may sound like a dumbo topic, but in all honesty, why are all PC games download only? If console games are still primarily on disc, why aren't any PC games (PC games not being those casual games that you'd usually find, I mean hardcore games such as Portal and Grand Theft Auto) on disc? Is it because people are too obsessive about size and the sound their PC emits? I know this may sound like a small issue, but if one has a painfully slow internet connection (like I do, -snip- wireless g speeds.....grrr...) or a data cap, what will they do if their games on PC are all download only?

And before you ask, I am somewhat pro-Steam, but only as mod integration. Otherwise, I'm pro-disc.
supernotch893
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/16/2015 5:23 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Network
MissMarifire
Basically what Paril said. I feel it's for the best, however some people akin to myself have rather... abysmal internet and will be adversely affected by it.
04/16/2015 4:59 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Grand Theft Auto V is available on discs. Seven DVDs.

The main reason though is that they are getting too big, and Blu-Ray drives aren't common in homes. It's just not cost-effective. It's quite possible that the next generation of consoles will be digital-only; heck, a lot of us thought that they would be for this generation.
04/16/2015 4:50 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
Because, the majority of users perfect to download over the internet, of course there is still disc' you can buy, but that is hardly recognized now and days. For example, take Elder Scrolls Online, you can download the game or you can go into stores and buy it. A majority of users who didn't want to wait for the download can go into stores, buy the game and install it at home and stay ahead of the crowd.

Why take the time to package, ship and deliver something when you have the internet to do it for you. Same goes for Console games.
04/16/2015 4:49 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Scribe
wolv
they're not exclusively download though. you can still buy hard copies of PC games
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome