Things I learned about gems

Lordslash2007's Avatar Lordslash20078/13/21 2:34 pm history
12/3/2021 1:58 pm
Lordslash2007's Avatar Lordslash2007
  • Refraction: Refraction is when light enters the gem bounces a bunch inside then exits the gem.
  • Birefringence: Birefringence is the chance of double refraction occurring.
  • Double refraction: Ok so say that light enters the gem and bounces five times, but if double refraction occurred it would bounce ten times instead.
  • Index of refraction: The index of refraction Is how reflective the object is based on the angle you look at it.
  • Luminescence: Luminescence is when a gem absorbs light over time and disperses it causing the gem to glow.
  • Dispersion: Ok right now search up an image of a diamond do you notice all the different colours inside of it that's what dispersion Is.
  • If you have read this far then post in The replies please if you learned something.
Lordslash2007
Level 25 : Expert Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/12/2021 12:02 am
Level 30 : Artisan Zombie
RockinReptite
This might not be the most scientific thing in the world, but something I've known for a long time that other people just don't seem to understand is that diamonds in particular are actually a very common gemstone. Sure, they're kinda rare on Earth (although, they are still one of, if not the most common gemstone we've found here), but space is literally full of them. The main reason why they cost so much to buy is not because they're really rare and hard to find, but actually just because people really want them because they think they're really rare and hard to find.

Also, diamonds are normally colourless, and only develop colours if they develop impurities, form with some extra materials, or are affected by radiation. Diamonds which form with nitrogen will appear yellow and sometimes brown, diamonds which form with boron will appear blue (this is why Minecraft diamonds have a bright blue colour), and diamonds which have been affected by radiation, normally in the form of alpha particles, will appear green. Diamonds which experience plastic deformation of their crystal lattice may appear brown, and it's thought that this is also responsible for the red and pink colours that some diamonds may develop. Some diamonds may even appear black in colour, and they simply have numerous dark inclusions. These inclusions are sometimes seen as small dark spots or patches in other diamonds.

...I think that's quite enough about diamonds for one day, but if anyone's particularly interested, I could talk more about diamonds, or some other gemstones. Perhaps I should consider teaching the world about the many wonders of precious stones sometime.
12/03/2021 1:58 pmhistory
Lordslash2007
Diamonds still have color even when they haven't developed impurities. Because of a phenomenon called dispersion. I put what dispersion is simply up in the list of things I learned. but to put it more complicated dispersion is when a white beam of light is split into it's seven constituent colors when it passed through a transparent object. Diamonds only develop color impurities when there's traces of nitrogen in them or radiation.
10/14/2021 6:25 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
The reason they're expensive is also the same as why lobsters are expensive
lobsters used to be peasant food and then the rich basically picked it up and made it a delicacy
09/12/2021 9:11 amhistory
Lordslash2007
I know that diamonds are the most common of all the gems but the actual two reasons they are the most valuable gem is because its the only gem in the world made up of only carbon and a diamond also represents love and commitment so that's why it's a popular choice when getting engaged.
09/11/2021 11:36 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
All of these are just physics concepts*
10/14/2021 10:13 amhistory
Lordslash2007
Lol.
09/11/2021 3:38 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Papa Enny
Awesome