EXTREMELY important to everyone that uses the internet.

CityofAthos's Avatar CityofAthos12/20/11 1:56 am
12/20/2011 5:03 am
CityofAthos's Avatar CityofAthos
I thought it appropriate to address an issue that will be affecting the internet if it is allowed to succeed: The Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. This affects us too, guys. If this bill passes, we won't be able to post any links to YouTube, Wikipedia, Reddit, Facebook, or any number of sites that may contain links to "illegal" or "infringing" materials; Posting links would be risking a court order to take down the link, or have our website removed from the Internet's Domain Name Servers. The big issue is the unrealized snowball effect the bill will have on the internet's core structure.

I'm not normally this vocal about political issues, and normally I wouldn't enlist the help of our humble following, but this issue is a serious threat to all that we do, and all that we hold dear. This bill, if passed, will pave the way for even stronger internet censorship bills, limiting our freedom to express ourselves, just because the traditional media industry can't meet their sales quotas with outdated business models. It's time for us to act and make our voices heard.

The easiest and fastest way to help is to head over to Reddit's petition to Congress about the bill. I'll even post a link - Here you go. There's more info on that site on how you can help. We have 3 weeks before the council reconvenes to make the final vote. - Gephorian - Drunkserver.com

http://act.boldprogressives.org/survey/survey_sopa_reddit/?source=reddit1

NO ARGUING, PLEASE. This is strictly for anyone interested in keeping the internet the way it is.
CityofAthos
Level 52 : Grandmaster Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/20/2011 4:55 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Crafter
ecool377
SOMEONE QUIK DOWNLOAD THE ENTIRE INTERWEBS!!!
12/20/2011 5:03 am
CityofAthos
If only.
I like your sig btw. Lol.
12/20/2011 4:39 am
Level 47 : Master Hunter
Po1ntBlank
This one has no flaming, no trolling, no derailing, it all seems fine.

Unless things get out of hand, I doubt it will be locked. (plus Stud already saw this)

On Topic: I dont think this can really happen, I am agreeing with what most people above have said though
12/20/2011 4:45 am
CityofAthos
It most likely won't. What you've read is all true for the most part. The opposite effects are more massive then the effects they're searching for. They would be beyond stupid to pass it. But you never know.
12/20/2011 4:31 am
CityofAthos
I searched for one and I didn't see it. It was only until a couple of minutes ago that I saw it because of the scroll box on the front page.

It's my personal opinion and it gives helpful links to those who want to help and sign petitions. I'd appreciate it if it wasn't locked. I'd hate to have to go and re-post as a reply on the other forum. This topic is large, and deserves to be shared as much as possible. If moderators could just give it a few days then they can lock this. Sorry I didn't see it ahead of time.
12/20/2011 4:28 am
Level 42 : Master Lad
rageman96
There's already a topic on this, so it may get locked, just FYI
12/20/2011 3:57 am
Level 35 : Artisan Demolitionist
EvilBiscuit
People are saying it won't happen, I say it can't happen, the US must know that if they do this they will highly increase terrorism, hackings, protesting and more all pinpointed in the US, that is how much some people are wrapped up in the internet, some will even suicide!, the US must know that? the itnernet is fine as it is. if their is copyright on youtube then the video is not available in some countries (just the US, Europe and Canada)
oh and by those I mean countries within the US, Europe or Canada. Maybe I am wrong, but I know for sure that they block copyright videos from some/alot of countries, if it is not obvious copyright it just says 'Video may (blah blah blah) contain copyright'
What really sucks is that the US think that they are making it better for everyone, 'decreasing copyright' all they are doing is putting the world in chaos, it is like they are trying to destroy any chances of world peace forever, you have to be honest most people rely on the itnernet for everything. Youtube might be used for copyright, but it is used for entertainment, music, vlogs, education, gaming and more!
I am against SOPA, and I will be, till this crap is burried underground forever.
(Yes the ending of the conclusion is from TotalBiscuit)

PS: also by US i ment SOPA

Thankyoup
12/20/2011 3:01 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc78577
[deleted]
12/20/2011 3:37 am
CityofAthos
Sign the petition! Lets win this one!
12/20/2011 3:58 am
Level 35 : Artisan Demolitionist
EvilBiscuit
are you for SOPA or against?
12/20/2011 4:17 am
CityofAthos
The link I posted was to sign a petition AGAINST SOPA!
I love the internet the way it is, if this passes it'll be hell.
12/20/2011 2:25 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Artist
Aus_
Yup, point served. It isn't passing. There are no worry, I promise
12/20/2011 2:12 am
Aus_
The bill was basically made to gain congress popularity, in my opinion. Sorry to sound dry, but this bill is only making congress look stupid. If they played 1 hour of mw3, and watched one good mw3 montage, they would not even think about this bill
12/20/2011 2:22 am
CityofAthos
my boyfriend is big on the subject and he thinks that the opposition to it is massive, which generally means a bill like sopa wont pass. There are multiple organizations against it, even house minority leader nancy pelosi came out against it!
12/20/2011 2:08 am
Aus_
If this bill passed, PMC would be completely shut down, unless get permission from Notch himself. There is no reason to fight, if there is no chance it will pass.
12/20/2011 2:07 am
CityofAthos
I'm sure it won't happen. But we can do what we can until then. You know?
12/20/2011 2:06 am
CityofAthos
Agree'd. Help promote all you can, PMC should be more aware of this I think. We do a lot of promoting for servers, we have a lot going on for intense builders and designers, ect. I appreciate the acknowledgement!
12/20/2011 2:06 am
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
12/20/2011 2:05 am
Aus_
It is not going to happen. The USA is too sensitive, and the generation that we are in is called the "Technologic Generation" for a reason. If this was to pass, it would effect many jobs. Thus, it will lead to the economy getting even worse, and they are to stupid to change their little bill, so it would not effect us. All i'm saying is: It isn't going to happen.
12/20/2011 4:08 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
jobbenns22
were not saying wether or not it'll happen, were just trying to help incase it does ;p
12/20/2011 2:03 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Portalmasterx7
I totally agree with you man,we shouldnt have to give up our rights just because they dont want companies to have free advertisments on the internet (lets plays tutorials ect) and they want everyone to have a licence to post that video on facebook
12/20/2011 2:03 am
CityofAthos
Thank you!
12/20/2011 2:02 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Pixel Puncher
SvedCo
12/20/2011 1:59 am
CityofAthos
Moderators if you've seen this or heard of it, please promote it on PMC.
Youre site contains thousands. It's important.
12/20/2011 1:58 am
CityofAthos
Please comment if you've voted. This effects absolutely everyone, don't let it go unheard. Specially you server owners.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome