A General Discussions about "Agiesm"

Knyghtfalcon's Avatar Knyghtfalcon6/13/13 10:00 am
1 emeralds 2.4k 106
6/14/2013 12:21 pm
Aether_Angel's Avatar Aether_Angel
There has been a lot of discussion of people being hateful towards younger members, and the younger ones hating right back. Some people are angry about older members not treating younger people with respect, and not treating them like everyone else. While older members complain(For very good reasons) about not caring, or not liking the younger generation.

I do i lose my temper sometimes while dealing with the younger people in life in general. Here are my few points as to why:

1: They tend to be immature
The younger population tend to make a lot of senseless, sometimes offensive and sometimes horrible jokes. They sometimes will try and swear to try and be like the "Adults" and make inappropriate comments they may or may not understand themselves. I was a younger kid once, and i always tried to do as my older cousins did, which was not my best choice in life.

Other than trying to act older than they are, they make a lot of grammatical errors, and sometimes they misspell things because they think its cool to do. Why talk like this? Wh3n 1 caan talkh liek dis? Another thing, and im just going to say it. Any kid who says "Budder" I will backhand, spit on, and never talk to again other than to yell obscenities and rude comments directed towards them and their mothers.

2: Younger kids can get very hostile if you restrict what they can do because of their age

I
also tend to find younger people generally get hostile if you mention
anything to do with their young age, or "Age discriminate" for a good
purpose.

If i were to say "Sorry, I'm afraid i can't let you
handle website building or taking in money from buyers and donators.
Your just a bit young to be handling this, and it is very important. I
can't afford to take risks while dealing with other peoples money, or
something as important as our webpage."

Is that rude? Is that being "A jerk" or being "Ageist"? I think its a perfectly good
explanation for why i would like to leave the jobs to people a bit older
and more experienced. Does anyone else agree/Disagree?

3: We tend to get along with others who are closer to our own age. Also, personal preference.

I always set an age limit along the lines of "14 years old and up only."
Its a personal preference. People who are around my age (16), tend to
see a lot of the same things, grew up around the same time, and i find
they have a better chance of getting along and behaving correctly.
Nothing really against younger members, but i find a lot of them DO
happen to be immature and unbearable to be around. Many of them crack
horrible, non-witty and sometimes insensitive jokes at the expense of
others. However, if someone i know cracks a joke about something most people our age know about. Its hilarious and entertaining, because we get it and it makes sense.

4: They expect to be treated like they are older, but they are not.

When a child tells me "Treat me like an adult, its rude to treat me like a child" I mentally facepalm, and say something along the lines of "But... You are a child, therefore i shall treat you like one."

I understand, i was little once too, i wanted to be like all the older people, i wanted to do what i wanted, and i wanted to be treated with respect. But its just not how it works. The older you are, typically the more experienced you are. You have had more time to learn more things. You have(Usually) Been through better education and have had more of a hands on experience.

Also, if a kid were to ask me to treat them like an adult, without any reason for them to do so, that just makes me feel like they are not dependable, or that they know they will do something wrong. It just makes me uneasy.

Does anyone else want to argue or agree with me? I would appreciate comments from others, join the discussion!
Knyghtfalcon
Level 28 : Expert Ninja

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/14/2013 12:21 pm
Level 27 : Expert Scribe
Aether_Angel
ReaCraft
Overlord Xcano
Cipher_Punk

That's kinda mean. It's just their preference.

Note that a site moderator posted that picture.

Note that it's a Supernatural GIF.
06/14/2013 12:11 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lego Builder
Mercurythedark
Site moderators are entitled to their own opinion.
06/14/2013 12:07 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Nerd
ReaCraft
Overlord Xcano
Cipher_Punk
KnyghtfalconAny kid who says "Budder" I will backhand, spit on, and never talk to again other than to yell obscenities and rude comments directed towards them and their mothers.

That's kinda mean. It's just their preference.

Note that a site moderator posted that picture.
06/14/2013 11:31 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter
carokon123
KnyghtfalconI was a younger kid once

That.
Is.
The.
Best.
06/14/2013 11:28 am
Mercurythedark
Imagine age as numbers of pmc experience points, it shows how much experience you have and how much knowledge of the world (knowledge of pmc in my other statement)
the bigger the experience points he bigger knowledge you have, I don't want any enemies, but it is true in my opinion, however, I couldn't keep it to myself it had to be said, for the people of pmc.
06/14/2013 11:24 am
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
final thought, then i think I'll leave this thread before I cause a riot...

Age is just a number marking the years you've lived

Maturity is how responsible you are and how well you handle certain situations

Case closed, maturity matters more then age, some people often mix them up
06/14/2013 11:16 am
Mercurythedark
Ageism, if an adult is being abusive, mean or taking right out of the world, I am not afraid to step in and say 'No!'
06/14/2013 11:22 am
-Rusty-
I know, at times when I do that, say "No! I am mature, and my age doesn't matter", they always make me feel bad and say I'm "immature".

This next saying maybe immature, but I just want to punch them in the face and say "Age doesn't matter, you jerk!"
06/14/2013 11:02 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
eminemfan33
I'm 11. I act as mature as possible, and I hate most stereotypes. I agree with almost everything on the first post. I really dislike people my own age or younger. In fact, some people who are older can be stupid. There are 12 year olds who have usernames with brackets of uneven xX's.
06/14/2013 10:43 am
Level 20 : Expert Network
Imadbush
I am 13 and technically i am a teenager but still feel like a child
All you guys are huge stereotypes. Cmon juct becausree you have met some very stupid immature children doesnt mean all are
I can be mature at times and somethimes i am not
But dont go saying all children are annoying immature and whatever your stereotype is
Saying that your not much better than the children
06/14/2013 10:27 am
-Rusty-
do you ever find that kids often use misspelled lingo and acronym's because they think it's cool, when really it makes you sound like a kid?

I mean seriously, who came up with talkn leik yoo dount no howh too speel

and who came up with wtf, ttyl, stfu, bbl, brb, cya, etc...

OR, who even came up with the unefficienant symbol talk? ! ^3@% ^#0$ &^%%@ ^$3 ##!$? (Reply if you understood this message )

I mean, I just would like to meet these people and say "Man, you've made a nice language, but what the nether have you done"
06/13/2013 10:05 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Henry_Jekyll
I agree with everything this said. I mean, I am even am what some might call a 'child'. The only thing the irritates me is when, lets say, a 11 year old is applying for staff who the owner is 15 or 16. He sets everything up, adding more than asked for, but doesn't mention his age, then sends it in. After a few days, the owner replies, "This application is perfect! You are mature, nice, and a great staff member on a few other servers! But I would like to know your age, you know, so see how old the person I'm working with is."

The 11 year old responds with the truthful answer the the only word they get back is... Denied.
06/13/2013 10:59 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
That happened to me, also lost my company on the server. I'm same age and everything.
On a side note about this topic, I am 11 as I have mentioned and am in my schools gifted program. I worry about world problems as much as my 40 yr old parents. Thus proving that not all 9-14 yr olds are immature persons as many stereotypes and posts suggest.
06/14/2013 10:27 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Henry_Jekyll
This is awkward.... You just described me o.o.... are you stalking me?..... It's just the age that is different. Or maybe it isn't. Or maybe it is.

I mean, I'm already coming up with a high school project to make a metal ball levitate. And stop world hunger by cloning animals. Gene splicing..... it's awesome.
06/13/2013 9:51 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Zeata23
Sounds about right, but they do seem to be responsible for quite a bit of spam on this site (Butter Packs -_-, Steve Skins, Herobrine etc etc) (( I think))
06/13/2013 9:56 pm
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
I'd just call that a statistical bias, really. If the majority of the population of a community is of a specific demographic, then of course they are going to account for more of the crime. Just like you can't stereotype 'minorities' for causing inner-city violence (because the majority of inner-city residents are 'minorities') you can't judge all PMC users for the spam. It's all about the ratios.
06/13/2013 9:44 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Zeata23
My general experience is that people under 15 or 16 tend to be very frustrating to be around, they're:
noisy
bad players
run in and do stupid things
griefers (stopping the list before it gets too long)

but I've played with people my age (16+) that are just as bad and people in that age category that are decent and tolerable, in the end I don't really like most players other than the ones I know IRL.
06/13/2013 9:47 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
UnDyingChild132
I have actually had more bad experiences with grown men than kids. Kids CAN tend to be incompetent in-game, but not always, and some are much nicer. It all depends on the person. Basically the moral of this whole post is: People on the Internet are assholes. Kids can be immature. Kids can be more mature than people older than them. Judge each person according to their actions. It's that simple.
06/13/2013 9:40 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Princess
bubbles1499
Personally, i try to judge people solely according to their actions, not age.
Although, sometimes it's hard not to think that all kids younger than me are annoying or immature because a lot of kids are. But then again, i've met 10 year olds that acted more mature than 17 year olds.
06/13/2013 9:27 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
XxTheMasterxX
Many kids play Minecraft and yes we can be ass holes at times, BUT you were just the same too When you guys were young. So thats why i think teens should be nice to the kids
06/13/2013 9:36 pm
Cipher_Punk
No. When I was obnoxious on the internet (15 years ago), people told me to cut that shit out. I probably would have kept doing it if nobody had said anything. This is why we should keep telling the kids that they're annoying - so they stop.
06/13/2013 9:40 pm
UnDyingChild132
This is true also. It is a delicate balance, between supporting those youngsters who SHOULD be allowed a voice, and discouraging/disciplining those who should not be allowed a voice.
06/13/2013 9:35 pm
UnDyingChild132
This is true. And we are not necessarily predisposed, for the most part, against younger kids. I personally have had some great experiences working with younger crafters. They just need to understand that they are younger, and therefore should respect. Which some do. And it's truly wonderful to see.
06/13/2013 9:22 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Dragon
Ben10Omnicraft
ok, so my grammar is not perfect, i can be immature at times, but im not one of those stereotypical "LOLOLOL GO TO HELL YOU F****T, F*** UR MOM" kids, if you think all kids are like that, you need to go and get some fresh air
06/13/2013 9:21 pm
UnDyingChild132
Zatronium
SnowylipsA few things: Kids act immature because they are immature. No matter how mature they can act, they're still kids. It's not just "Oh you're young so you're dumb" it's "Oh, you're still young, there's still room for development both mentally and physically that can be seen as critical in this area of _______"

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I appreciate the attempt at disambiguation.

And I don't see the point of your second argument. By that logic we wouldn't have anyone today working on boats, for example. Young adults take up that gap, not 13 year old kids. While you might like to think they're ready to work professionally, 99.999% of children aren't. You can't take outliers of a group and base your arguments of them. Talents are developed over time, it goes hand in hand with skill, and as well with experience, a person must also have age, maturity and life experience to fill that gap.

You don't see too many competent coders at 13, so obviously that was not the intent.

You, sir, have earned my respect.
06/13/2013 9:07 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Zatronium
SnowylipsA few things: Kids act immature because they are immature. No matter how mature they can act, they're still kids. It's not just "Oh you're young so you're dumb" it's "Oh, you're still young, there's still room for development both mentally and physically that can be seen as critical in this area of _______"

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I appreciate the attempt at disambiguation.

And I don't see the point of your second argument. By that logic we wouldn't have anyone today working on boats, for example. Young adults take up that gap, not 13 year old kids. While you might like to think they're ready to work professionally, 99.999% of children aren't. You can't take outliers of a group and base your arguments of them. Talents are developed over time, it goes hand in hand with skill, and as well with experience, a person must also have age, maturity and life experience to fill that gap.

You don't see too many competent coders at 13, so obviously that was not the intent.
06/13/2013 4:54 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
ToonTaco
Xeno_Stryker
ToonTacoGRAY PANTHERS! GRAY PANTHERS! GRAY PANTHERS!

GRAY POWER! GRAY POWER!
And you were saying Im immature

I didn't say you were immature, I was saying enjoy childhood.
06/13/2013 4:21 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Shahkulu
Children are supposed to learn things as they age in life, but some of them act superior whenever they hop behind a computer screen, it's like their ego skyrockets. And yes, this is coming from a 13-year-old.
06/13/2013 4:16 pm
UnDyingChild132
I partially agree with the OP, but not fully. I think, 100% that younger members of the community should not be treated as adults. I think they should be treated as they prove themselves. I do not generalize against younger people. Any younger man can and definitely will on occasion step up. There was, once, a boy, of age 11, in a war off the US coast, I forget which one. Maybe 1812? I suck with history. Anyway, this boy, at age 11, was captain of a ship, and overtook 7 enemy vessels. There are countless other stories of the sort, but the point remains. Young men and women have infinite potential, and there are often many great benefits to both parties of working with them yes, there are restrictions, based on life experience. Does this mean they should be excluded? NO.
06/13/2013 4:16 pm
Cipher_Punk
THE POINT: There is absolutely no reason to ever tell anyone your age online. If someone can tell your age from your behaviour, and begins treating you differently, then it's your fault, not theirs. You are not being discriminated against for your age, you are being discriminated against for how you act.

If you are acting like a child, you will be treated like one. If you do not wish to be treated like a child, don't act like one.

If you are acting like an idiot, you will be treated like one. If you do not wish to be treated like an idiot, don't act like one.

This applies everywhere, not just Minecraft, not just video games, not just the internet. #LifeLessons
06/13/2013 4:17 pm
UnDyingChild132
^^ this
06/13/2013 4:15 pm
DrBloodbathMC
I will fully defend kids being able to play on multi-player servers, if they can show they can handle the responsibility I would even say they can take over some Moderator roles. They have to accept though that it goes two ways. If they show they can not handle the community or their role it should be able to be taken away from them.

I also agree that some kids can be much more mature than some adults, but I hate to say it, the vast majority is not. That's not to say I wont trust a kid with stuff, they just have to work to prove they're mature enough.
06/13/2013 4:08 pm
bloopy8080
I think A lot of this is accurate but it's a little stereotypical. I am 12 years old but I have never done anything that you described as a kid. But if you said to someone they couldn't have a job just because of their age that would be a pretty close minded act. Some kids are gifted with technology and to tell them that they are bad just because of their age is pretty discriminating. Another thing is that if someone is older it doesn't necessarily mean he has more experience, It just means that he/she had (and possibly didn't use) more time to work on a certain topic. What I mean is that there could be a 12 year old with three years of experience and then a 20 year old that has had one year of experience... Would that be fair to tell the kid that he is to young to do the job even though he has three times the experience of the adult? I know that kids are sometimes immature but there are adults like that too. To have a job that requires working with other people you need tolerance and if you don't have tolerance and start saying discriminating things you will be fired.
06/13/2013 3:58 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Explorer
Slenderpy
I hate this so much.

Everyone I ever mod with ditches me just because I'm young. They even go as far as to take the entire mod, which I usually make most of, with them, thinking they have authority to steal my work. One guy even stole my mod right off a forum post saying "This is my mod, the kid stole my work". I mean, really. I'm usually better at modding then the adults, and they still only care about my age. Thats why I like a group my age.

Same goes with football, at my school many kids on my team deliberately jump infront of me and hit the ball to the ground for no reason but I'm young.

It just makes me so mad.
06/13/2013 3:53 pm
Zatronium

Aside from what I highlighted above, you also crack crude jokes, but dislike jokes you don't relate with. Crudity is crudity regardless of how you feel about it. You also claim that your life choices as a kid weren't best, but then do nothing to stop other kids from committing the same mistakes. You complain about kids' hostility toward restriction when that's a nearly universal human trait. It's absolutely hilarious - you're almost complaining about yourself. Kids act immature because they're literally immature. Adults act immature because they haven't learned to recognize hypocrisy.

The reason it's problematic to always want more experienced people is because you end up creating a talent vacuum. The experienced people retire eventually - where's your new talent going to come from? Public schooling doesn't count as experience, so... They need experience to get experience? Hello paradox. It's perfectly reasonable to hire a young programmer and have them write page-specific widgets while the experienced pros code the important site-wide features. When the widgets don't work (and some won't... at first) you give them critical feedback. What can they improve? What should they study on their own time? How can they manage their resources more effectively? You might find yourself with a cheaper and more efficient web designer than the pro you hired originally.

Lastly, who are you to determine what kids can and can't do? If they're committing a faux pas then TELL THEM; preferably nicely. The fact you bothered to say something will likely have more of an impact than you'd expect. They might not acknowledge that impact, and they might even be rude in return, but the experience does matter. It's counterproductive to be a jerk right back or to limit their social exposure. How will they learn differently if they're never exposed to anything else?

You have to deal with nonsense, that's just how life works. Though it becomes easier if you resolve problems instead of making them worse.
06/13/2013 7:52 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
A few things: Kids act immature because they are immature. No matter how mature they can act, they're still kids. It's not just "Oh you're young so you're dumb" it's "Oh, you're still young, there's still room for development both mentally and physically that can be seen as critical in this area of _______"

06/13/2013 4:20 pm
DrBloodbathMC
This.......this has got to be the most well written argument I've seen for Anti-Ageism.
06/13/2013 4:24 pm
UnDyingChild132
Agreed. Although I do not 100% agree, he makes a lot of great points.
06/13/2013 3:45 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Engineer
Apple Bruce
The only people who seem to complain constantly about the 8-13 age range are the 14-17 age range. I have found that the 20+ players really don't care that much about the younger kids and generally work well with them. I am 21, which I know is not that old but is still pretty old for most minecraft players. I used to build all the time with a 10 year old boy and a 12 year old girl - they were some of the most mature, nicest, best builders I have ever worked with and still miss working with them (they dropped out of contact as they grew older and pursued other stuff). I remember what I was like when I was that age, and I was way more of a little s**t than they are. I would rather work with a younger kid any day than with the often butthurt, angry, and insecure older teens.

Don't let the few rotten ones spoil it for all the well-behaved, nice ones. One of the ways I learned how to get along with people at a young age was through online interactions. Let the younger kids play.
06/13/2013 3:29 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Necromancer
creeperinmyhouse
Restrictions are there for a reason. Whether your mature or not it doesn't matter. Restrictions are there because children are too young for it. someone said earlier that young kids should be able to manage a servers money. Well they are way too young and have absolutely no experience where an older person who has experience with jobs and money has a better understanding of it. Other people say how kids should be treated like an adult. That is the dumbest thing i've ever heard lol. Why would I treat you like an adult if your not one of course things like being mean to a person or bullying them because of their age is stupid obviously but restricting things based on age isn't because younger people need more experience to not be restricted.
06/13/2013 3:41 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
Famousie0
the thing is with restrictions you see, that they take away restrictions when your mature enough. kids who arent mature really just should be on the internet, honestly. but if the kid is mature enough and can control themselves then why not. you can tell if a kid is mature enough if you dont even know there a kid until they tell you/you ask them.
06/13/2013 3:46 pm
creeperinmyhouse
lol restrictions are based on age not maturity. If a 13 year old is mature enough to drive, do you let him? if a 16 year old is mature enough to drink, do you let him? if a 15 year old is mature enough to join the army, do you let him? We have restrictions because the persons age group should not be allowed to do that. Just because someone is mature enough doesn't mean they should be allowed to do that, only until they get past that restriction
06/13/2013 3:49 pm
Famousie0
theres no restrictions to play minecraft though. drinking beer underaged is FAR over the line from playing minecraft. if anything, its a kids game. theres no restrictions on minecraft, no law against it. dont take things like playing minecraft, to joining the army at a young age.
06/13/2013 3:58 pm
creeperinmyhouse
Not trying to start a flame war but this is a general discussion, it even says it in the name. Everything we talk about doesn't have to relate to minecraft. I'm relating this to real life not minecraft
06/13/2013 4:10 pm
Famousie0
ok well this is about ageism. wich is judging somebody about there age. well, think of it like this. the best staff on your server is amazing. he/she... lets call them it, helps out with everything, has perfect grammar, and knows everything there is to know about plugins. your about to promote "it" when you figure out "it" is a 13 yeear old kid. it doesnt make a difference. if you choose to not promote them just because of that, well then your just an ageist. your judging them based off of there age. and about there grammar. what if english isnt there first language. or doesnt really have such a good education. well, then your going to HAVE to deal with there grammar. well as long as its not out of control.
06/13/2013 3:33 pm
Level 28 : Expert Ninja
Knyghtfalcon
Exactly, this is what i was trying to say to the little ones
06/13/2013 2:48 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
TheDarthReptile
ageism is only because adults think all kids are idiotic seriously we kids are stupid just not that stupid okay some kids are that stupid but, not every kid is
06/13/2013 2:30 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
meharryp
Theres being too many people bringing kids to a bad name. I managed to set up (and am still running) a garrys mod server and take donations, and now I have a minecraft server with the money I made. Theres too many people who do this "OMG skydoesminecraft butter butter im awesome a minecraft im a hacker because i have zombies fly mod lololololol". That is where we get the bad name from.
06/13/2013 2:21 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Nerd
ReaCraft
I'm a good kid. This just is aggravating reading posts saying that children should be restricted. I haven't done anything bad, I'm mature.
06/13/2013 2:00 pm
Level 29 : Expert Ranger
Xeno_Stryker
ToonTacoGRAY PANTHERS! GRAY PANTHERS! GRAY PANTHERS!

GRAY POWER! GRAY POWER!
And you were saying Im immature
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome