An increase in sob stories?

Skaldas's Avatar Skaldas1/25/15 9:42 pm
1/29/2015 3:01 am
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0's Avatar zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
I find it hard to not cross paths with someone who has this dramatic background story behind their lives whether it's on PMC or on any other minecraft server. It's either a dramatic background story or the person hates the world and "Doesn't have feelings".

Minecraft especially should be a place for players to interact with each other positively and cooperatively and yet we find people in this world who use tactics like this to slowly diminish the intended mood games were supposed to be played in. It's almost as if everyone has an upsetting background. What disappoints me the most is that people actually have issues in their lives. It's most obvious to me that people behave like this in public because they lust for the attention that comes with it.

I guess what I wanted to say is how often do you find people like this? What are your opinions on them? What do you normally do when you find people who do this?
Skaldas
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/29/2015 3:01 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
SasukeUchiha2214
"I'm literally crying right now"

[yt]ljWcpj8N6ws[/yt]
01/29/2015 1:39 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Ellielza
Everyone seems to forget that if your life is completely normal you're not going to be playing Minecraft all day. So complaining on an online chat about petty life issues (if they are petty) is entirely pointless and makes them look rather childish.
But on the other hand its going to be the first time they've experienced it so they're going to complain, which is all fine in my eyes it just can get irritating when its all day every day for attention.

I'm sorry Ellie but as usual I don't agree with your point :p
I'm a Minecraft regular, yet I've got the most normal life ever - I'm a student, I read books and watch movies in my free time, I attend every concert I can make it to and buy every music CD I have money for.
Being on PMC doesn't necessarily mean that you play Minecraft all day, in fact most of the people with these sob stories probably play it a lot less (if they played Minecraft all day there wouldn't be any sad irl-stories to talk about).

One thing I really want in this thread is the opinion of someone who actually writes stories like this, I don't want to keep hearing the opinions of people who all think the same with extremely minor differences.

I personally don't mind sob stories - I know there are over a million members here and that not everyone is the same and not everyone likes the same things. However, the part I do mind and find offensive to me and my kind as a semi-traditional blogger is the part where sob-stories like this that usually come from popular teen-skinners are worshiped like it's a story written by Edgar Allan Poe and not a story written by a random member on a community site.
01/26/2015 9:49 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Pyro
CrespoChimp
There isn't much to do with this problem. A lot of players are at that age that make them become self obsessed. They crave attention, so they do whatever needs to be done.

As far as I know, a sob story is the best solution. A lot of Minecraft servers are just like the real world surprisingly. Most people want to be accepted in society, and this somewhat relates to servers. Because people are liberal, players on Minecraft servers have accepted ideas that support what the current sob story problem is.

So when someone says how bad their life is, supposedly it is the 'right' thing to do to help and comfort the player. I sound heartless now right? That's what you are called when you step out of the liberal normality of a Minecraft server. In the real world, when you see someone like this, it really is considered nice to help out the person.

Because most of the sob stories are fake according to you experienced server people then you are not obliged to help that person because you are generally wasting your time and accepting what you think isn't really necessary.

It may all sound complicated, but if you don't like the sob story stuff, your best idea is to ignore it and don't say anything in the chat. Even though your chat may be spammed with players comforting that player you can't really do much to change a liberal society. If they question you why you aren't helping out, just simply say you are trying to enjoy a creative game and not trying to help out a supposedly fake attention seeking problem.
01/26/2015 9:06 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
funny bunny
VertziForte
And don't get me started on players taking advantage of their own gender. You know those people.

Actually, I don't know those people. Care to elaborate?

Oh, you know.

When people go on a server and feel as though it is of the utmost importance to inform everyone that they're a girl.
I mean, you don't see me joining a server and saying, "Hey guys! BTW I'm a guy!"
01/26/2015 3:47 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
Most of the players on servers are quite young and are in that stage where they become incredibly self centered and special snowflakes. Just happens, but most people don't just sit online and complain about their lives all day... as far as i'm aware.

Everyone seems to forget that if your life is completely normal you're not going to be playing Minecraft all day. So complaining on an online chat about petty life issues (if they are petty) is entirely pointless and makes them look rather childish.
But on the other hand its going to be the first time they've experienced it so they're going to complain, which is all fine in my eyes it just can get irritating when its all day every day for attention.
01/26/2015 3:01 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
This thread is so insensitive and soulless. I'm literally crying right now.
01/29/2015 1:15 am
Level 28 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
"I'm literally crying right now" this has got to be sarcasm right?
01/28/2015 11:48 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Procrastinator
Elizardbeth
Is this a joke on the subject? Or wat?
01/29/2015 12:19 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
Looks pretty legit to me.
01/26/2015 3:09 am
Skaldas
I'm sorry you feel that way.
01/26/2015 1:10 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Fisherman
Dominos
My real problem with these people is that they go around telling complete strangers their sob story, then except a "Oh, I feel so sorry for you" every time. I mean, of course it's really sad and tragic what happens to some people, but if you're really going through a emotional crisis, then you should tell a adult or friend; not some random people on the internet. If I don't know you, then chances are I really couldn't care less if you were bullied in school or have stress issues.
01/26/2015 1:03 am
Level 25 : Expert Hunter
bigf
I tell them 'ok what makes u think we can do anything about it' and everyone else says 'omg ur so mean u don't know what it's like'. Really, I doubt half of them know what it's like either, because at the end of the day they're a bunch random people happily playing video games on computers that sure has hell didn't come out of nowhere
01/26/2015 1:13 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
^ my comments in a nutshell, great minds think alike.
Call me insensitive, call me mean, heartless, call me whatever you like, in the end 80% of these with rare exceptions are attention seeking and are really nothing new. If you need help, talk to someone, I don't see a reason to put it into a community made to share creations.
01/26/2015 9:59 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Insanity
Yes, it's usually all about the attention.
01/26/2015 2:45 am
Skaldas
No, you're exactly right. As stated earlier the severity of the situation varies between how well you know the person. It's revolting for me to notice someone acting like this out of the blues.

People like that are just toxic and they're usually the source of drama as a whole.
01/26/2015 12:44 am
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
PizzaPenguin_
They get on my nerves too. Just ignore it, I guess.
01/26/2015 12:16 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Explorer
DreamConjurer
These people have too negative of a life attitude, and they tend to dwell in their painful past because, believe it or not, some eventually come to enjoy the darkness closing in on them, they become addicted to emotional pain, especially for the reason you mentioned, that it gets them attention, but in their pursuit for that attention, they have to remember the story that hurts them the most, so that they can replicate it multiple times to other people in order to get a 'caring response' and maybe a 'friend' or a 'boyfriend' or just to hear or read "Awww", to be honest I used to be one of these people, until I realized what and why I was doing it, I made a lot of fake friends. The world is brutal, I've dealt with worse now that I did in my teen years, and I'm not sharing my misery story with everyone anymore like I used to. But also in favor of those who do the sob story fiasco, it does feel good to release it. Some people choose not to let go simply because often takes them places and gets them what they want... sometimes.
01/26/2015 12:12 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
VertziForte
And don't get me started on players taking advantage of their own gender. You know those people.

Actually, I don't know those people. Care to elaborate?

Back on topic, I tell those people straight up that unless they are clinically depressed, or have some sort of reason why they are complaining to me, me and others on the internet do not care. While this may seem harsh, it is completely true. Most people just plain do not care. They shouldn't be on the internet then if they are depressed...

Oh my that rant felt good..
01/26/2015 12:04 am
Level 26 : Expert Artist
VertziForte
I keep a rule to myself to not be a Debbie Downer but when other people start rambling on how their life was just horrible just so they can get some pity points/ something out of it that's what grinds my gears..

I usually guide them to some options that would help them out though. If they take a turn to something else, I follow them and try to show them several solutions to help them recover from that as well.
There were actually some people I helped out and they thanked me. I was good acquaintances with them, helping each other out within the server; like nothing happened beforehand.

But if those people start getting irrational/ into denial, that's when my patience dims.
Unless I can point out the faults in their statements, people would stay silent in the chat, not knowing what to say. So I purposely push their buttons.
That may sound mean but it works. Especially when you can tell that they're just milking their story now.

Probably exaggerated"Life is so dark, like my soul. I'm emo since I wear all black and with tight skinny jeans. No one gets me so why should you be happy?"

Now this. These types of behaviors that'd make you cringe. It might be a passing phase but heck, they're a tad bit over-dramatic in their stories on trying to get attention.

These are the things I'd call people out for.

01/25/2015 11:10 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Lopunny
I come across this on nearly every Minecraft server I go on. One second, they're explaining how they're "emo" and "hate everyone." The next second, they're telling some dramatically fake sob story that only smart people can tell is fake. If you tell them to stop telling their story because it bums you and other people out, every other fake-sob-story teller instantly starts yelling at you and calls you a horrible person. There's almost never people on your side if you accidentally or purposely get involved.

There's also the "everyone hates me" stories. I think: "Well, according to your grammar, you're at least under 12. So, who bought your fancy laptop and got Minecraft for you if everyone hates you?" Once again, if you try to interfere, at least 20 other people who are "involved in the same problems" start to yell at you and threaten bans against you.

I also believe these fake sob stories affect people on servers and how they act in things like minigames, pvp, etc. Lifting even a single pinky toe against them will make the tides turn, and before you know it everyone is teamed against you and try to eliminate you first. Once they kill you, they shout "LOL WE KILLED DA MEAN PERSON XD" and start bragging. Then, it's just all of them and there's nothing to do except not kill each other for the infinite time limit and continue bragging that they killed you.

By the way, I am NOT saying there are people who do not lie about being depressed or abused. You can easily single out who is lying and who is not lying by the grammar and obvious realism of the story.

I apologize if this post seems like a rant, is off topic, and makes me seem like a rude person. I have been on Minecraft for 3 years and have never had the chance to discuss this topic. Congratulations if you got this far on my pointless post.
01/25/2015 10:44 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Programmer
phase
It's mostly kids wanting to get attention. Most the time when time when you look into it, they're lying.
01/25/2015 10:43 pm
Level 27 : Expert Mage
The Silver Paladin
I once told them to suck it up, and I got a whole bunch of Mail in MC that said some nasty things about me, and how I didn't understand, The Owner was a friend of mine IRL and knows that I was suicidal and depressed, and stressed, and I showed him everything, The person was banned the next day. I wonder how that person is doing...
01/25/2015 10:38 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
PetalIsWaiting
It's very annoying.
01/25/2015 10:23 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Procrastinator
Elizardbeth
I haven't ever come across this yet, but I do understand how some of those players must feel. The sad truth is, a lot of people lead hard and/or depressing lives but have no one in real life to turn to. Eventually they go on the internet to seek much-needed attention and comfort, but everyone just gets annoyed. They end up being drama-queens and going to extremes to get attention; much like the way children who don't get enough proper attention from their parents/gaurdians misbehave to get what attention they can.
I'm not saying there aren't people out there who pretend to be hurt/whatever just for attention. Or people who don't have it that bad but make a bigger deal of it than they should. It's poeple like them who make it harder for the one's who truly have it bad.

EDIT: Sorry if this is hard to read/understand. I got carried away while writing it so I probably over-used some words. ;-;
01/25/2015 10:18 pm
The Silver Paladin
And before you call me a Psychopath/Sociopath. No I'm not, I've dealt with depression, stress, and suicide. I get through it by perseverance, Video games, or Comedy (Sometimes, when grieving, a suicide joke can cheer me up.)
01/25/2015 10:13 pm
The Silver Paladin
I just give them the number of a suicide hotline, or tell them suck it up and see a therapist.
01/25/2015 10:07 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Demolitionist
KawaiiMiku
all you have to say is "IM LITERALLY CRYING RIGHT NOW!!11!!!" to get attention on Minecraft servers. Happens every day on the major hub server I play on. If a kid is just whining about how they have no friends, no girlfriend/boyfriend, no money or "depression", everyone ignores them or tells them to shut up. But when they add that line afterwards (the crying thing), the chat is flooded with 'support'. And when anyone dares to say "attention seeker", the entire hub turns on them and accuses them of being insensitive and soulless. We don't need to know, nor do we care. Random strangers aren't going to send you money, become your friend in an instant, or get you help for your "depression".
01/25/2015 11:55 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
WetsCwaft
I see it all the time. I also see people saying "Join this game lobby! Also I'm a girl!" Who cares?

What gets me is the fact that they bring it to this website. Go read some of the "blogs" people post. You'll find enough whiney, angsty, emo sob stories to last you a lifetime. I see it constantly and it's honestly the dumbest thing in the world. This is Planet Minecraft right? Can't they go post that vomit on tumblr or something?
01/25/2015 9:45 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
Some people (for whatever reason) feel like everyone has to know about how hard their life is, or how poor they are, or something like that.

I think it's mostly for attention, and it's sure getting annoying. If you have a bad life, we really don't need to know, and we don't really care.

Feeling depressed? Why would you ask random people on a website related to Minecraft? You talk to a trusted adult, counselor, friend, etc.

Nobody likes your skin? Maybe it's because it took you 5 minutes in MS Paint.

/rant
01/25/2015 9:47 pm
Skaldas
Well for me, it's not so much that I don't care. It's more of "Okay so you have a bad life, what do you think I can do about it?"

Some situations are more severe that others but it's a rare occasion. Typically I just ignore them.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome