Hi im looking for a laptop

SabreGames's Avatar SabreGames8/2/13 11:56 am
8/2/2013 3:55 pm
SabreGames's Avatar SabreGames
Hello im looking for a laptop here are the requirements if its possible.
======================================================
$300-$400
With 50 fps or more
12-15 in. if possible
4GB
Good Enough To Run Tekkit and Minecraft [not at the same time]
======================================================

Thanks, bps
SabreGames
Level 13 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/02/2013 3:55 pm
SabreGames
lucky do u have any laptops like that do you mind linking me??

Thanks, bps
08/02/2013 3:04 pm
SabreGames
hello someone please respond i need to know of good gaming laptop under 400$ with 4-8 GB and 50 Or more fps thanks!

~bpsboy
08/02/2013 2:42 pm
SabreGames
so its not good for gaming anyone have a laptop that they coould tell me that would be please.
08/02/2013 2:32 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
GeneralApathy

Your processor is incredibly important to performance. If it's too underpowered, your computer won't be able to process all the data on time, causing performance drops.

What?

The processor has a threshold value - you either make that threshold, under which any
game is completely unplayable, or you're above it, in which case, the performance is based upon other factors, like your graphics card. There are virtually no "Core series" intel processors that won't meet this threshold.

If getting a processor is seen as a "critical point" in your purchase (and you're purchasing something modern), you're doing it terribly wrong.
08/02/2013 1:59 pm
SabreGames
so can someone just tell me if this would be good to run minecraft or tekkit and tell me around how much this laptp witll put out
Laptop Im hoping will work http://www.google.com/shopping/product/ ... EPMCMAc4Cg
08/02/2013 3:49 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Toast
BreakfastPizza
It will be good but its not from a well known brand, so be careful with your warrenty etc.
08/02/2013 3:47 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
luckygamer101
No, it has an integrated graphics card. look at computers with an intel i5 processor, an nvidia GeForce 630m and up. plus, 6 gigabytes of RAM. that would run at about 60 FPS
08/02/2013 2:03 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
This might get the job done. Pentiums were good processors, but now with the Core series (i3, i5, and i7), they're old news. Other than that, this seems like an alright computer.

(Posted from a computer running a Pentium 4 xD Hey, it's 7 years old and records at 30 fps and plays at 70+. Don't judge me.)

EDIT: It has shared video memory. Running with 4 GB of RAM that is both used for the CPU and GPU is not going to be pretty for games.
08/02/2013 1:42 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
GeneralApathy
First off: The processor has little to nothing to do with your gameplay. Most standard processors from within the last three years will be able to EASILY run an instan ce of Minecraft. I have an old i5 from 2010 that can run Minecraft at 25% CPU usage - I could easily run three instances of Minecraft without having to worry about any sort of lag as a result of the processor. I currently have an i7 right now, and let me tell you, buying it for Minecraft, and at that, for any gaming, was a huge waste of money - an i5 could have done the job just as efficiently at a far lower price.

Notice - they both get around the same FPS (the i5 actually gets a bit higher overall, but that's for reasons unrelated to the graphics card and processor).

Another concern you might have would be RAM, and justly so, as RAM does have some sort of significance when it comes to gaming. Games and applications allocate your RAM as they process throughout time, so having a high quantity of RAM (quality is good too, but for now, the best you can normally get is the standard DDR3 RAM) helps in the sense that it prevents the application from totally freezing up. Running a game with an inadequate amount of RAM is not fun - you'll lose major FPS, the game will slow down in loading, there will be a lag between input and output and (at worst) your game may crash and/or freeze up. So, how much RAM is good enough to run Minecraft? Technically, 4GB will get you over the hill. How much RAM is good enough to do gaming? 6GB. You'll have more than enough space to run every game (and multiple instances of any game, at that). Anyone who says that 8GB+ is necessary to have a "gaming computer" is a flat out liar or has an inordinate amount of money to blow - you can run all you need on 6GB or 4GB (at worst). If you have to cap your RAM purchase, cap it at 8GB, but always be on the look out for computers that have additional slots for extra memory (e.g. laptop comes with 8GB but can be extended to 16GB). This allows you to keep your computer up to date with whatever you need (today we don't need 8GB, but in two years, I might be eating my own words).

Now, the hard drive. Doesn't really matter*. The amount of space it has is dependent on your ability to manage said space. Little to no effect on performance. Some may argue that the RPM of the hard drive (5400 RPM, 7200 RPM, 10k+ RPM, SSD, etc) has a noticeable effect on performance. The only area that a hard drive speed can actually effect (in gaming) is your boot up speed (for said application, rarely) and then your loading times.

*note - A hard drive does matter for those of you who record in game, but that's a different story.

Finally, the graphics processor. I've saved the best for last. The graphics processor is, HANDS DOWN, the MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN BUY FOR ANY GAMING. Graphics processors are key to getting a high FPS in any game, period. In Minecraft, you might be able to get away with an integrated (as I did during Alpha+Beta with my old laptop) as it isn't too demanding, but for high quality, high fps filming and general gameplay, getting a discrete graphics card is key. Spend as much of your budget as you can on your graphics card, for it is THIS one piece that will get you the greatest return for all of your money. Additionally, get as much RAM as possible with your graphics card. Both quality and quantity are important in this area - aim for 2GB of DDR5, if not 4GB. Any graphics card listed with "shared RAM" is a graphics card that simply leaches off of your main RAM and thus are both slower and have less RAM to access, as a general rule. Try to avoid these.

Hope this helps!
08/02/2013 1:16 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
_NuclearManx_
I had a hp pavilion, and... It kind of burnt itself. Well when I say burnt, I mean CPU melted and the air vents melted. While it worked (2-3 years), it worked very well and very smoothly.
08/02/2013 1:12 pm
SabreGames
THANKS!!
08/02/2013 1:01 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
homeskooler24
Yeah, it would be around there, maybe between 45-55 fps. Getting Optifine would help too. It doubles the fps on my desktop which is an old windows xp.
08/02/2013 12:53 pm
SabreGames
homeshooker so u think it would have 50 fps or more? and will preform tekkit and minecraft decently?
08/02/2013 12:42 pm
SabreGames
??
08/02/2013 12:35 pm
SabreGames
Homeskooler please look at the link i posted.
08/02/2013 12:34 pm
homeskooler24
That's a mac... I'm talking about a windows laptop with an intel or AMD processor.
08/02/2013 12:44 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Macs have Intel processors
Derp.
08/02/2013 12:33 pm
SabreGames
eh tell me if this would be a good one http://www.google.com/shopping/product/ ... EPMCMAc4Cg
Especially homeskooler since you know more about fps but all of you please take a look at this and see if it would follow my specs
08/02/2013 12:37 pm
homeskooler24
I think this would work for you, 2.2GHz should be enough to get good fps and it's at a good price.
08/02/2013 12:28 pm
homeskooler24
If you want 50+ fps then the processor speed should be at least 2.3GHz
08/02/2013 12:31 pm
ChaosExpert
Wrong.
Ghz has nothing to do with fps or anything for that matter.
My MacBook Air 2013, is 1.3 GHz and runs at 100+ fps.
08/02/2013 1:50 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Let's see you get even 15 FPS running a 650 MHz processor like on my old Dell, and your MacBook Air can turbo boost up to 2.6 GHz, which it always does when running something like Minecraft.

Your processor is incredibly important to performance. If it's too underpowered, your computer won't be able to process all the data on time, causing performance drops.

What's more important though it the graphics card. Laptops usually have integrated graphics, which isn't all that great, but it's not as bad as people say it is.

On that note, the Dell Inspiron N5010 has better specs than the Acer and HP computers listed, and I got one at Wal Mart for $450 (although it was on clearance xD).

- 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM (most computers in stores use this or 1600 MHz)
- 640 GB hard drive
- Intel i5-480M (dual-core, two threads per core, 2.67 GHz, turbos up to 2.93)
- About a gig and a half of total video memory (Intel graphics)

I don't remember the exact values for FPS on Minecraft, but it was well above the playable threshold.
08/02/2013 12:12 pm
SabreGames
nick eh ive had a bad experience with acer
08/02/2013 12:10 pm
SabreGames
does the pavilion have the specs i asked??
08/02/2013 12:19 pm
ChaosExpert
Well, you could look at the website...
And yes, it does.
08/02/2013 12:06 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Programmer
nickfromgreece
08/02/2013 12:00 pm
ChaosExpert
I'd recommend an HP - Pavilion.
Best Buy Link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavili ... Id=9226089
08/02/2013 12:27 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Toast
BreakfastPizza
I have the HP pavilion G7 Max Specs, and it's not at all good for gaming (I have to run games on my alienware)
08/02/2013 12:29 pm
ChaosExpert
Eh well, what do I know... I'm more of a Mac person.
08/02/2013 12:00 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Engineer
marrioman13
not sure about the 4GB with 50fps or more, as higher CPUs etc. normally come with higher RAM so, maybe look at 6-8GB?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome