Men & Ponies & Minecraft - OH MY

HellOnBlocks's Avatar HellOnBlocks7/30/12 8:32 am
1 emeralds 1.8k 153
8/3/2012 10:01 pm
Shillk's Avatar Shillk
I am old. I am out of touch. I remember getting my first Open GL accelerated graphics card longer ago than some of you are old. But maybe you, the community, can explain something to me.

Men, and I use that term pretty loosely as I have discovered the average age of the male in the MC community isn't that old, what is with the Ponies?

When I was 10-15 or so, sure the My Little Ponies were a huugee hit with my sister and all her little girlfriends. Same with Rainbow Brite and all that shizzle. Now, I could be wrong but am I seeing a huge influx of dudes pushing ponies all over the internet? Is this only a MineCraft community phenomena? Also I take it, "Bronies" is a word play spin-off of "Bro" as in ebonics for Brother?

I don't do anything I consider girlish, like play an X-Box or watch Rainbow Brite, so this kind of escapes me for the moment. When I logged into the Official MC and PMC communities after purchasing MineCraft at v1.7b I did notice it. Shows no sign of dying off either!

Not flaming, just wondering WTH? Lol
HellOnBlocks
Level 36 : Artisan Nether Knight

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/03/2012 10:01 pm
Level 23 : Expert Explorer
Shillk
@TormentedBadger's Edit

I thought it was named Brony because of the /b/ thread on 4chan and pony?
08/03/2012 2:06 am
Level 20 : Expert Miner
Nymus
Someone get me an oxygen tank, I can't breathe!
08/02/2012 12:30 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Archer
intheannexe
From Know Your Meme:
On October 10, 2010, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was aired as part of the debut of the new television network, The Hub, which replaced Discovery Kids. On October 19, 2010, Cartoon Brew wrote an article about the show titled “The End of the Creator-Driven Era in TV Animation”, which had an oddly alarmist tone to it. Threads on 4chan’s comic and cartoon board, /co/, attacked and made fun of the article for this reason. The article and the threads generated /co/’s initial interest in the show, causing several members to go and watch the first episode. After the second episode aired on October 22nd, threads about the ponies started to boom even more, gaining the show fans outside of its target demographic.

That's basically how it all started and it's grown from there to a community of around several million people.

Although I am one myself, I don't see anything wrong with most bronies. The only thing I do see wrong with some bronies, are that they try and force the show down everyone's throats, like some brony zealot trying to 'cleanse' the world into ponydom (sounds a bit weird but that's how I see the over-zealous ones). I try and only post pony-related things when it's kind of related to the conversation/thread/topic.

I find that the community has made tons of brilliant stuff, like music, and art. I also think that with the community growing bigger, it might even be helping more things become more accepted in the world. I'm not sure what else I can put into this answer but I hope it helps.

EDIT: Just read your part of the post saying that it's a spin-off of 'bro'. You're pretty much right there, it's a combination of 'bro' and 'pony'.
08/02/2012 11:32 am
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Zemor
RoughSpirit, its happened earlier in this thread. Bronies putting "somepony" or "everypony", or putting pictures of ponies in this thread (one I'm talking about is already deleted).
08/02/2012 11:20 am
Level 23 : Expert Explorer
Shillk
Stud, please tell about the out-of-line actions the Bronies have taken.

I legitimentally want to know.
08/02/2012 11:02 am
Zemor
Finally unlocked.
08/02/2012 4:12 am
Level 20 : Expert Artist
d_nice13711
YAAoyama
Studnicky
Feenecks...brony mods on the website...

Five mods are females. Four mods like chiptunes. Three are programmers. Two are furries. One is homosexual. But only the bronies cause the conflicts.

FURRIES!!!LOL
08/02/2012 3:53 am
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
YAAoyamaIf there weren't any haters, would there be conflicts? Nope. So if people would just stop making these threads, there wouldn't be any more conflicts. Problem solved.

And if nobody opposed the germans, then there wouldn't have been a World War II. There are conflicts because the actions taken by the bronies are out of line.
08/01/2012 5:32 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Skinner
YAAoyama
StudnickyStill going overboard with the assumptions there.

Feenecks...over 10 million bronies on the internet...

There are three times that many WoW players. We don't have a problem with people annoying us with WoW references constantly.

Five mods are females. Four mods like chiptunes. Three are programmers. Two are furries. One is homosexual. But only the bronies cause the conflicts.

Okay, stud. I know you're trying to put up a good argument or whatever.But only the bronies causing conflicts? Think about it. If there weren't any haters, would there be conflicts? Nope. So if people would just stop making these threads, there wouldn't be any more conflicts. Problem solved.
08/01/2012 5:28 am
YAAoyama
Wow, Aximilli. You go out insulting us like that and you call US the douches? Look at yourself, you monster. You guys are making me depressed.
07/31/2012 5:34 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Robot
dtlucario
And mocha probably isn't a brony.

Can everyone be as broad minded as him? please?
07/31/2012 5:27 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Miner
Phrozenbit
AvatarAcidI am old. I am out of touch. I remember getting my first Open GL accelerated graphics card longer ago than some of you are old. But maybe you, the community, can explain something to me.

Men, and I use that term pretty loosely as I have discovered the average age of the male in the MC community isn't that old, what is with the Ponies?

When I was 10-15 or so, sure the My Little Ponies were a huugee hit with my sister and all her little girlfriends. Same with Rainbow Brite and all that shizzle. Now, I could be wrong but am I seeing a huge influx of dudes pushing ponies all over the internet? Is this only a MineCraft community phenomena? Also I take it, "Bronies" is a word play spin-off of "Bro" as in ebonics for Brother?

I don't do anything I consider girlish, like play an X-Box or watch Rainbow Brite, so this kind of escapes me for the moment. When I logged into the Official MC and PMC communities after purchasing MineCraft at v1.7b I did notice it. Shows no sign of dying off either!

Not flaming, just wondering WTH? Lol

Is your question answered AvatarAcid ?
07/31/2012 5:11 pm
Level 25 : Expert Miner
Frostburn
Feenecks
AximiliA brony stole some of my skins. A brony hacked my favourite server. A brony made keldeo(pokemon) look stupid.

To be honest I really hate that pack of douchebags.

There's your problem. Judging an entire fandom consisting of over 10 million people, by the actions of a few.

My mind in words.
07/31/2012 5:09 pm
dtlucario
I get where he is coming from, he has one hefty reason to hate us.
07/31/2012 5:07 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Tiny Luna
AximiliA brony stole some of my skins. A brony hacked my favourite server. A brony made keldeo(pokemon) look stupid.

There's your problem. Judging an entire fandom consisting of over 10 million people, by the actions of a few.
07/31/2012 5:07 pm
dtlucario
The one brony who you had the misfortune to meet with was not the best representative.

Hey that's just like your opinion I ain't going to try change it.
07/31/2012 5:05 pm
Level 76 : Legendary Snark
Aximili
A brony stole some of my skins. A brony hacked my favourite server. A brony made keldeo(pokemon) look stupid.

07/31/2012 5:35 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Pony
LeviIblis
Yeah, you can say all that. Osama Bin Laden wasn't a brony, and look how many people he killed >.>
It's stereotyping. It's like racism. Don't do it.
07/31/2012 5:31 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Larvitarian
THat person who stole your skins didn't steal it just because they were a brony. So, a hacker happened to be a brony. that doesn't make all of them bad. Keldeo already looked like a unicorn.
Only a minority of them a dbags,
Also, just learn to live with them. this is like religion, a minority will shove their beliefs done anyone's throat, and that is what makes them look bad, as with a lot of things.
07/31/2012 5:02 pm
dtlucario
Hey leave him to his devices, if he's brave enough to swim with the sharks (proverbially) then allow him to.

As fun as this is, I get the feeling it's going to go overboard any second.
07/31/2012 5:02 pm
Tiny Luna
StudnickyStill going overboard with the assumptions there.

There are three times that many WoW players. We don't have a problem with people annoying us with WoW references constantly.

I meant modifications not moderators. WoW is an online game. Not a Television show. There are plenty of good games out there today. Barely any good shows these days. I am very sorry about this. I didn't mean to go overboard. I kind of do that sometimes.
07/31/2012 5:01 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Artist
Nox
Studnicky

Do not assume, like what you said to Feenecks.
...Actually do not assume at all. I want to start seeing facts now from everyone.

I'm just here because I want to see a good, interesting conversation about the fandom and it's flaws, not some fit against each other. :L
07/31/2012 5:00 pm
Zemor
Studnicky is pretty much correct, I noticed in the pony hub they were calling this an "Anti Brony thread". I simply replied stating how it was not anti-brony, and that they couldn't take the fact that others can have different interests.

I was then attacked with a "STFU", and a very rude "*shoves hoof up rear*".
07/31/2012 5:05 pm
Frostburn
I already told them that we were discussing and it was not an Anti - Brony hub before you commented, read before you post don't just go up to the one comment you don't like.
07/31/2012 4:57 pm
Cipher_Punk
Still going overboard with the assumptions there.

ZemorFeenecks, how do you NOT know you have two accounts? You created them, therefore you must know.

Why are you intentionally antagonizing the brony thread? Cut that out.
07/31/2012 4:52 pm
Tiny Luna
Studnicky
Feenecks
First off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-GKOrOmR40

"I just realize that if I had children, that is the kind of show I would want to watch with them." --Notch

"It's obviously not made for me, but I really like some of the things in there." --Notch

You're going a little overboard with your assumptions there.

"So you're a brony?"

"Not really, kind of, yes"
07/31/2012 4:52 pm
Cipher_Punk
Feenecks

"I just realize that if I had children, that is the kind of show I would want to watch with them."
--Notch

"It's obviously not made for me, but I really like some of the things in there."
--Notch

You're going a little overboard with your assumptions there.
07/31/2012 4:51 pm
Zemor
Feenecks, how do you NOT know you have two accounts? You created them, therefore you must know.
07/31/2012 4:47 pm
Tiny Luna
Studnicky
FeenecksOh that's all? There are many reasons why PMC has a brony following. I will list some. Notch is a brony, over 10 million bronies on the internet, brony mods on the website. Why others dislike them is because some of the obnoxious minority spams crap everywhere and haters can't understand that it is the minority. To cease the conflict, we need to understand both sides.

Notch mentioned in a single reddit thread that he had watched the show once. That does not make one a brony.

Also, I'm calling you out. Your profile has never posted anything minecraft-related, and in fact, has only even ever posted in this thread, specifically. Your IP shows that you have two accounts - the other of which has never posted anything, ever. What gives?

Second. I made this account so I could comment on mods and download them. I did not know I had 2 accounts though. I just don't really post on forums that much. Sorry.
07/31/2012 4:47 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Artist
Nox
sed11Solution:

Bronies ignore Brony Haters, Brony Haters ignore Bronies.(Or just people that don't like the show.)
Bronies post pony stuff in the pony thread, if you post pony stuff in an un-related thread the official thread would seem to be created for nothing.

...*Snip for spatial reasons*

Sadly, this can't go without force, if you actually think about it. Plus, it's inevitable that someone is going to do otherwise - it's human nature.
I only wish that this would come true. :L
07/31/2012 4:45 pm
Cipher_Punk
FeenecksOh that's all? There are many reasons why PMC has a brony following. I will list some. Notch is a brony, over 10 million bronies on the internet, brony mods on the website. Why others dislike them is because some of the obnoxious minority spams crap everywhere and haters can't understand that it is the minority. To cease the conflict, we need to understand both sides.

Notch mentioned in a single reddit thread that he had watched the show once. That does not make one a brony.

Also, I'm calling you out. Your profile has never posted anything minecraft-related, and in fact, has only even ever posted in this thread, specifically. Your IP shows that you have two accounts - the other of which has never posted anything, ever. What gives?
07/31/2012 4:45 pm
dtlucario
This still up?

Any more questions because I think everything that needs to be said has already been said.
07/31/2012 4:43 pm
Frostburn
In my opinion, problem being different types of bronies / people.
07/31/2012 4:42 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
I doubt that many people saw my post on page 10, since there was a page 11 after I was done posting it....(I saw the page was there though my post was on 10, a lot of people posting...)
07/31/2012 4:41 pm
Tiny Luna
RoxthesoxPardon me if I was "over the edge" there Stud, but you speak the truth. I've had trouble in the past trying to formulate what I mean to say, but you've in a nutshell summed it up. It wasn't senseless flattery, there was some purpose behind it.

Now back to the matter at hand. Bronies, people don't like you. It's a fact, deal with it, learn to ignore the hate. If you make it clear you're a brony, then don't act like a victim when you're ridiculed for it. It's your fault, you put it out there. Am I saying you should be in the closet about it, no, do what you like.

Also, this is an open forum for discussion. A thread shouldn't be locked because it's talking badly about your show.

We do realize we get hate. Most bronies do ignore it. But again, that minority, makes the rest of the bronies look bad.
07/31/2012 4:40 pm
Zemor
Same ragnur. While I'm still trying to think of something to post, studnicky has already posted it.
07/31/2012 4:40 pm
Phrozenbit
Feenecks
Studnicky
The discussion is not about the 'war on bronies' - it is about why PMC has a brony following, why other members dislike them, and what can be done to cease the conflict.

Oh that's all? There are many reasons why PMC has a brony following. I will list some. Notch is a brony, over 10 million bronies on the internet, brony mods on the website. Why others dislike them is because some of the obnoxious minority spams crap everywhere and haters can't understand that it is the minority. To cease the conflict, we need to understand both sides.

To cease the conflict is why the official pony hub was created. To confine it so that haters won't enter brony territory.
07/31/2012 4:39 pm
YAAoyama
Okay, look. If i overdid it, I'm sorry, I do that a lot. But I really don't claim to be a hate victim - I claim most bronies are hate victims. I just don't understand why.
07/31/2012 4:39 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Caveman
Ragnur Le Barbare
Same here, Roxthesox
07/31/2012 4:37 pm
Tiny Luna
Studnicky
The discussion is not about the 'war on bronies' - it is about why PMC has a brony following, why other members dislike them, and what can be done to cease the conflict.

Oh that's all? There are many reasons why PMC has a brony following. I will list some. Notch is a brony, over 10 million bronies on the internet, brony mods on the website. Why others dislike them is because some of the obnoxious minority spams crap everywhere and haters can't understand that it is the minority. To cease the conflict, we need to understand both sides.
07/31/2012 4:36 pm
Phrozenbit
Zemor
Theminemaster
ZemorAll hail studnicky.

You're advertising the fact that you like Studnicky, why can't we advertise the fact we like ponies?

Two way different things right there.

All Hail Zemor
07/31/2012 4:35 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Caveman
Ragnur Le Barbare
The thing is. Some haters are trying to stop bronies. Brony videos have been taken down due to fake copyright claims. Brony accounts on Youtube Steam etc. have been hacked to try to stop them.

And so have countless other videos and accounts since the beginning of the internet. I think that bronies, because of their reactions, are a much easier target for trolls, thus explaining why some people don't just ignore them, but actively go out of their way to "bully" them.
07/31/2012 4:34 pm
Cipher_Punk
Feenecks
RoxthesoxNo one is stopping you, you can do as you please, just don't be surprised when you're hated for it.

The thing is. Some haters are trying to stop bronies. Brony videos have been taken down due to fake copyright claims. Brony accounts on Youtube Steam etc. have been hacked to try to stop them.

This is not relevant, nor does this occur on PMC (we don't even have a videos section).

sed11Solution:
(1) Bronies ignore Brony Haters, Brony Haters ignore Bronies.(Or just people that don't like the show.)
(2) Bronies post pony stuff in the pony thread, if you post pony stuff in an un-related thread the official thread would seem to be created for nothing.

This is the ideal solution, yes.
07/31/2012 4:33 pm
Tiny Luna
StudnickyYou know what else annoys me? Senseless flattery. Deleted.
I do not want you to think like me. I want you to think for yourselves.

TheminemasterHe/she shouldn't have to keep it to him/herself in order to not be "verbally" abused. They're proud of who they are, and so they should be, as should everybody in this world.

Yes, he should. In a perfect world, that might even be possible.

However, there is a significant difference between what he claims to have happened, and what actually occurs. The responses by peels and YAAoyama are exactly the types of things that make it difficult to just let the issue stand. Demanding censorship and claiming to be victims of hate every time an opposing view is posted are not reasonable behaviors.

Peels9765
Theminemaster
You're advertising the fact that you like Studnicky, why can't we advertise the fact we like ponies?

You made your 2000'th post!

StudnickyPeels, it is EXACTLY things like this (off-topic, tie-ins with ponies) that you and others put all over the forums that makes your kind ESPECIALLY hard to ignore. I am asking your politely to stop this.

I am not fabricating anything. All of that has truly happened to me that I have said happened to me. Plus the original topic was ponies.
07/31/2012 4:33 pm
YAAoyama
Okay, rename this something, and let's all stop arguing. Bronies should be tolerated, but if you want to express your opinion, post here.
07/31/2012 4:30 pm
Tiny Luna
RoxthesoxNo one is stopping you, you can do as you please, just don't be surprised when you're hated for it.

07/31/2012 4:29 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
Solution:

Bronies ignore Brony Haters, Brony Haters ignore Bronies.(Or just people that don't like the show.)

Bronies post pony stuff in the pony thread, if you post pony stuff in an un-related thread the official thread would seem to be created for nothing.

I'm not a brony, or a brony hater, but people are just fighting over a cartoon.

As has been said before, some bronies post pony stuff in different places sometimes a lot.People that like Nintendo don't do it as much.Sometimes some people get annoyed when they see it on threads not related to it, or when people start fighting about it.

I actually just posted this because I'm tired of seeing people fight over a cartoon, or atleast something simple.
Cipher_Punk
You know what else annoys me? Senseless flattery. Deleted.
I do not want you to think like me. I want you to think for yourselves.

TheminemasterHe/she shouldn't have to keep it to him/herself in order to not be "verbally" abused. They're proud of who they are, and so they should be, as should everybody in this world.

Yes, he should. In a perfect world, that might even be possible.

However, there is a significant difference between what he claims to have happened, and what actually occurs. The responses by peels and YAAoyama are exactly the types of things that make it difficult to just let the issue stand. Demanding censorship and claiming to be victims of hate every time an opposing view is posted are not reasonable behaviors.

Peels9765
Theminemaster
ZemorAll hail studnicky.

Peels, it is EXACTLY things like this (off-topic, tie-ins with ponies) that you and others put all over the forums that makes your kind ESPECIALLY hard to ignore. I am asking your politely to stop this.
Zemor
Theminemaster
ZemorAll hail studnicky.

Two way different things right there.
07/31/2012 4:28 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Pony
Peels9765
Theminemaster
ZemorAll hail studnicky.

Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome