Minecraft Dying?

Alfierix_'s Avatar Alfierix_6/19/19 9:59 pm
5 emeralds 1.2k 29
6/25/2019 3:08 pm
Thqnder's Avatar Thqnder
When Do You Think Minecraft will Die?
And Do you think Minecraft is gaining traction again?

I think minecraft will die in 2020 from another game.
Give me your opinions.
Alfierix_
Level 35 : Artisan Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/20/2019 2:29 am
Level 46 : Master Skinner
R_Ryan
The thing is, MC isn't really a game. It's more like a game engine where the user makes their own game. That's anything from tinkering around in creative like a lego sim to super complex modded/command blocked MMPORPGs.

Because of that, no other game could kill MC because no game is actually competition for MC. Players get bored and walk away, some forever, but most I know eventually come back to it, because there's always something else you could do. I can't imagine that going away any time soon. Even if Mojang decided the business model is no longer profitable, and stopped updating and supporting it, it wouldn't go away.

I mean, I don't know exactly what your definition of "die" is, but there's a long way between most popular game in the entire world, and literally no one plays it anymore. MC could "only" be the 5000th most popular game in the world, and that's still a heck of a lot of interest.
06/19/2019 10:14 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
For the love of...

No it's not dying because it was never revived. Just because people play it does not mean it is back, people are just fed up with current games (namely BR flavors strawberry, lemon, and huckleberry). Any traction it has now is quickly swept away by Fortnite due to its dominance.

Any game could upset it as everyone's looking for the next big game to become the SUPER MASTAH ELITE GAMER.

There is no community for MC anymore, it has been and always will be a business.
06/20/2019 11:03 amhistory
Level 49 : Master Dolphin
pale1
Everything that you are saying is just false.

I think Minecraft is on an upward trend. It shows in the way the Microsoft and Mojang are increasing their efforts to improve the game. Microsoft has stated that they want Minecraft to be a "100 year game", and it really seems like they are putting in the work. Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth will turn the game into a household name very quickly. Unlike Fortnite (which is rapidly losing popularity), Minecraft is accessible for all ages. It's also available on nearly every platform from PC to console to mobile.

Secondly people don't go out looking for the next big game to become popular, it will just happen. A good game with good publicity will attract lots of people. That's how Apex Legends became big almost over night.

To say there is no community for MC anymore is also completely false. You're literally discussing this with a planet minecraft community (which doesn't feel like a tightly knit group because it's so large, but it certainly is by definition a community). There are tons of smaller communities throughout any game that are more private in some ways, but they definitely exist. To say that it's just one big business is just incorrect.
06/20/2019 12:16 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
It is not false if I have facts to back it up both from personal experience as well as numbers.

Everything that you are saying is just false.

I think Minecraft is on an upward trend. It shows in the way the Microsoft and Mojang are increasing their efforts to improve the game. Microsoft has stated that they want Minecraft to be a "100 year game", and it really seems like they are putting in the work. Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth will turn the game into a household name very quickly. Unlike Fortnite (which is rapidly losing popularity), Minecraft is accessible for all ages. It's also available on nearly every platform from PC to console to mobile.

It's a cycle so of course there's going to be an upward trend. Making improvements to the game is purely subjective and to this I point to the Combat Update which sliced the players in half and has since left its mark on the game. You don't have to update a game to make it last 100 years, look at Super Mario World or even Super Smash Bros. Melee to see there are people who will play one game their entire lives. I have no doubt that they do intend on supporting the game, but given they dropped $2B to buy it, of course they want to make their money back plus interest.

Minecraft Dungeons will make a blip but then be quickly swept away as aRPGs are not as popular as they used to be. It has to contend with Path of Exile and whatever else comes out on release (assuming HyTale isn't going undercut it and, knowing Hypixel's arrogance, they will). As for Fortnite losing popularity, that's a given how the game is a Shooter by nature and does not really offer much in value for Replayability as compared to Fighters or MOBAs. You shoot a guy, you win, repeat.

Secondly people don't go out looking for the next big game to become popular, it will just happen. A good game with good publicity will attract lots of people. That's how Apex Legends became big almost over night.

The majority of people want to be the next PewDiePie, that is just the nature of Society today. Many are making YouTube / Twitch channels in the hopes of becoming popular. While this does not apply to everyone, there is still a vast number of people who want to hit that gold mine. Add to that the phenomenon of Fear of Missing Out, it's almost expected of people these days to be up with the latest trends. Internet makes everyone famous and those who want it will seek it.

Again, exceptions, but the second that people realize that Minecraft is gaining the slightest attention, people have come out of the woodwork to shove their content to catch the first people coming back, waiting at the gate.

To say there is no community for MC anymore is also completely false. You're literally discussing this with a planet minecraft community (which doesn't feel like a tightly knit group because it's so large, but it certainly is by definition a community). There are tons of smaller communities throughout any game that are more private in some ways, but they definitely exist. To say that it's just one big business is just incorrect.

This is coming from someone who played in the "Good ol' Days" of Alpha and Beta and I can assure you that the Community you see today is not the one of before. There is a stark contrast between people having a common interest and people {b]sharing[/b] that interest. To put it in simple terms, people don't play the game, just hang out with people who do compared to the interaction between friends sharing stories and creating worlds.

Let's put it this way in terms of cool kids and lunch tables. Back in Beta which still retained one, it would be similar to being accepted by almost anyone, sharing your cookies with someone from one and then getting chips from another. There's an interaction and friendliness there you cannot find today which is now you have a bunch of tables specifically for "Only the Real Players."

There is a massive divide among people who have made cliques for themselves and won't associate with others, I turn this to Skinners and Modders who are the perfect example of this. Neither will interact with "outsiders" unless they are of a similar mindset. Apply this to PvP and non-PvPers and you'll see the environment of today. It's hostile, it's toxic, and it's better to keep your head down than to be friendly to others.

Being an outsider, you can tell that the community today is not as welcoming as it was then.
06/21/2019 1:35 pm
Level 49 : Master Dolphin
pale1
The popularity of a video game is absolutely not a cycle. Some games are popular for a moment then crash and die fast. To say that game popularity is cyclical is just wrong. Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft earth are both very accessible to a wide audience. Minecraft has a good name that parents trust, meaning Minecraft Dungeons will appeal to kids young and old. Other RPGs in the same vein in terms of gameplay don't have that type of pull with parents. Also you mention Mario for some reason as if nintendo doesn't keep coming out with new games for that franchise every couple of years. The only difference between the production of Minecraft and that of Mario is that instead of making a new game every year, Mojang updates Minecraft every couple of months. If Nintendo released one Super Mario game then dropped the whole brand, I guarantee you the franchise would not have the shelf-life that it has today.

Where do you get this idea that most people want to become famous youtubers? A very small percentage of people who use youtube actually post, and an even smaller percentage try to be "youtubers". I don't see why you brought this up because it doesn't seem relevant to my point.

Finally, you aren't the only person who played in the beta. I've also been around since then and you are clearly associating with the wrong crowds of people. I can go on any survival server and find nice people to hang out with in a similar fashion to how I used to chill with people in the beta. You probably spend too much time on hub servers and large networks or have trouble meeting new people.
06/20/2019 10:56 am
Level 48 : Master Answer
Makaneek
but it never died in the first place. just because YouTubers get bored and quit doesn't mean their fanbase will. And just because MC's fanbase is mostly bratty 10-year-olds doesn't mean it's dying.
06/20/2019 10:53 am
Level 35 : Artisan Cake
Alfierix_
Agreed!
06/20/2019 1:15 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Toast
Laurent_Conlon
To me, this game is like ms paint. It's just always there and it will always be there. The only thing that will die is all of us at one point.
06/21/2019 1:45 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Enjoytheignore
second biggest game i dont think it will die
06/21/2019 10:47 am
Level 26 : Expert Explorer
ChronoFury
Quite the contrary in fact, Minecraft is making a resurgence this year. There's so many Minecraft videos getting millions and millions of views recently and so many people returning to play Minecraft again because of the 10th anniversary or because of nostalgia.

I made a video explaining in detail why Minecraft is making a comeback, you can check it out if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxwZSGabieA
06/20/2019 10:12 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Minecraft CAN'T die, as nothing in gaming really does. Unless it is a multiplayer exclusive game, those can (sort of), but only if the creators choose shut it down (but even then, sone don't). So the whole "Minecraft is dying!" or "Minecraft is receiving!" are baseless (for the most part), since Minecraft won't die, and can't die.
06/20/2019 3:09 am
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/25/2019 3:08 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Skinner
Thqnder
Minecraft isn't dying and I don't think it will for quite sometime. I highly doubt it will die within the next year, but for now, I like Minecraft getting more and more attention.
06/25/2019 3:04 pm
Level 24 : Expert Pixel Painter
OmegaVortex
Well, yes, but actually, no.
06/22/2019 8:30 am
Level 28 : Expert Nerd
GuzThePotato
If you check up the newer statistics about minecraft. Minecraft is regaining attention you shouldnt really doubt its popularity and its in no shape or way dying.
06/22/2019 8:04 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
This again?
06/20/2019 12:07 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Waffle
Frybox Devs
Minecraft. Dying. To me, Minceraft is not dying. And to all those people who say "Let's play (insert nintendo switch title here), Minecraft is gay!" they are wrong. First of all, what the heck. Secondly, Minecraft is completely different from other games and should not be compared to any others that are not creation-sandbox-survivals.

Yes, Minecraft is gaining traction.

Actually, it is now to number 1 sold game ever created.
Also, Minecraft will never die. Old nostalgic games like Mario 64 and Tetris have not died, so why should Minecraft?
06/20/2019 10:50 am
Makaneek
Minecraft will last at least another 10 years. and even if it does "die" Mojang will still keep updating it. if you mean Hytale, I don't think so. I've seen hytale's performance, and while it certainly looks fancy, it will never replace Minecraft.
06/20/2019 10:53 am
Makaneek
And it was never dying in the first place. YouTubers said it was because they got bored and quit, but their fanbase didn't quit. they moved to the newer Minecraft channels that were given elbow room by the big boys getting bored.
06/20/2019 1:31 pm
Level 46 : Master Skinner
R_Ryan
I agree. Hytale can't possibly become more popular than Minecraft because Hytale is nothing but a crippled Minecraft clone to start with. It's really not doing anything that hasn't already been done on modded servers before.

Minecraft is an engine that allows you to make things like Hytale OR any other type of game you want. Hytale is a one trick pony generic RPG that's ripping off minecraft's aesthetic. Only a fraction of MC players are actually interested in RPG or fight mechanics in the first place.

The secret to Minecraft's success in the first place is that it can be played in an infinite number of ways and thus appeals to the broadest possible customer base. It's just mathematically impossible to make a product that's MORE successful by appealing to FEWER potential players.
06/21/2019 2:42 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Goblin
Vetis
Short answer: No.

long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The game isn't dying, it wont die anytime soon. It outshined a game as big as fortnite in the end so to say something that releases literally in a few months time will "kill" minecraft is pretty dumb.
06/21/2019 2:01 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
ByteKing
Funny because if you check google stats minecraft is actually starting a comeback and its honestly a lot more noticeable now even in higher grade schools and workplaces i find more people interested in this game
06/20/2019 3:49 pm
Level 87 : Elite Deity
Captain_JEK
I think Minecraft only would die if the last person on earth lost all of their creativity. But as long as there are creative people who enjoy creating things in a 3D world Minecraft will live on forever. That's my opinion.
06/20/2019 2:15 pm
Level 42 : Master Architect
Zodus
Even if some new, amazing game comes forth from the minds of brilliant people, that game’s probably going to “die out” after some time, and Minecraft’s gonna remain(I mean, it’s happened a few times).

They’ve managed to keep Minecraft alive for a good amount of time and don’t really show many signs of stopping.

People just don’t really talk about it or get bored of it, but when those people leave, new people will come to fill their place.

I think it’s going to be a long time before Minecraft dies.
06/20/2019 12:01 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Network
Zeyarch
I 100% agree with what R_Ryan said, I do not care what people say, I do not follow what the main-stream media has to say about video games, no matter how little a game has in player population, I will still play it if I like it.
06/20/2019 10:26 am
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Matter of definition; in the digital age, actual 'death' generally occurs only via legal action (and bootleg, etc versions of IP supposedly dead still circulate for many games as abandonware).

I suspect the flood of MC popularity may have crested a few years back, but also that the game has considerable 'legs' left. (Although MC: the original [ie java] has an issue with a limited primary 'tail', monetizing the secondary markets may well make it in MS/Mjs interest to keep it alive indefinitely.)

As the MC playerbase continues to fragment [a process MS/Mj assists with each new ground-rule change] it becomes increasingly likely that a competitor may arise the business plan of which is based on focusing on the specific wants of a given fraction of the MC playerbase. [As with most things, games that do one (or a few) thing(s) VERY well tend to outperform those that attempt to be all things to all people.]
Many of these will be 'fantasy heartbreakers' [a term from another genre for offerings based on greatly improving a small area of a large game system], but some may have the breadth of scope (and the depth of pocket) to make substantail inroads on the current MC playerbase.
06/20/2019 3:48 am
Level 75 : Legendary Sus
Nitgo
yes
06/20/2019 2:52 am
Level 25 : Expert Pirate
elektropunch
Dying? No
Oversaturated? Yes
06/19/2019 10:41 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Demolitionist
busterdogtnt