New Router

Redified's Avatar Redified7/31/14 11:40 pm
8/1/2014 12:21 am
Noooob's Avatar Noooob
Click to reveal
Okay, lets just get this out there, I am a COMPLETE idiot when it comes to technology. So please, if you are going to reply please do so in a manner that even I can understand.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello! I am trying to help my family buy a new router. We don't have a lot of money and we are looking for an okay router for under $100. We currently have an old NetGear router and it sucks, it is unreliable and I cannot even play Minecraft on the lowest of settings without lag. So we are trying to get a new one, again we don't have a lot of money so we need a cheap but reliable router. Please help us out! Thanks in advance for any help.
Redified
Level 30 : Artisan Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/01/2014 12:20 am
Level 45 : Master Robot
robot_26
1. How old is your computer?

2. How old is your router?

3. Show me a picture of both so I can determine what exactly is your problem.
08/01/2014 12:03 am
Redified
I don't care, the point is I need a router, I do not need people telling me what it does, because it is not for me it is for my family.
08/01/2014 12:20 am
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
A router will reduce lag. But no, it's not going to improve your performance.

Lag is commonly confused with a bad frame rate. A bad frame rate is not lag. A low frame rate (Which is your problem at the moment) is a computer's problem. Getting a new router will not fix it. You will continue getting awful performance.

Lag actually is caused by either your network, or a server's network experiencing problems. You can have a very smooth and high frame rate and still have lag. For example, lag in minecraft is when you're playing multiplayer, and you break a block, but the block doesn't drop as an item, and shortly re-appears later, as if it was never broken.

Almost nobody will lag in singleplayer. I'd estimate about 99% of lag is only in multiplayer. But getting a new router might not even fix that. It might be the server's host being bad.

Anyway, a new router will not solve your problem. You're going to need a new computer. You could also wait til 1.8 comes out, in which the rendering was re-coded, causing noticeable performance increases. But if your performance is bad enough to not even be able to play on the Tiny render distance, then 1.8's rendering improvements will probably not help you.

TL;DR
You're going to need a new computer. A router won't fix your problem

Edit: For more information about the difference between lag and a bad frame rate, (which I highly suggest you read), look here.
08/01/2014 12:07 am
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
If you don't know what it does, then how do you know that something is wrong with it?..
08/01/2014 12:17 am
Redified
Holy mother of god I will just go some where else because you people are no help.
08/01/2014 12:21 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Noooob
killertoad is trying to help you dude. don't be stubborn
07/31/2014 11:57 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Routers are for internet connectivity, not FPS...

Your PC is probably just lagging.
07/31/2014 11:57 pm
Level 23 : Expert Engineer
Area511
My router costed me $17 cheapest one. It does an excellent job in downloading and hosting stuff.
Maybe it's your connection is way too slow ?
07/31/2014 11:52 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Warrior
OnyxMC
Yeah your router has nothing to do with fps nub
07/31/2014 11:45 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
Rice
The router wont effect your FPS. What are your specs? They are probably causing said lag.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome