Politics- share your views

Zemor's Avatar Zemor5/25/13 7:12 pm
1 emeralds 1.5k 103
5/27/2013 12:28 pm
Teddy's Avatar Teddy
Since the religion thread seems to be able to stay away from flaming, why not have a political thread?

This a place to discuss politics (if any of you have a single clue).

Please refrain from flaming other views. If you disagree with someone, reply to them politely.
If prominent flaming occurs moderators will not hesitate to lock this thread.

Personally, I am a conservative. I support small government, gun rights, and am pro-life. I believe that life begins at conception and therefore believe that abortion is murder. I do not agree with gun control, and I am highly against illegal immigration.
Zemor
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/27/2013 12:28 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Skinner
Teddy
This has derailed slightly, hasn't it?

Want to talk politics - discuss politicians, presidents, prime-ministers, laws, other countrires - without it ending in a flame war? Fine. Good luck.

Want to berate people for their political views, bring up the holocaust, be sarky towards others opinions, argue about guns and mass-murder and then hide behind the 'well the religion thread didn't get locked"?

I don't think so. Put it on another website, thanks.

Locked.
05/26/2013 10:17 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Ranger
azrobert
If we talk about history in the 1900's or something like that {sorry long time since i learned this topic} they banned achohal so when that happened their was this huge increase in achohal and it was just worse then before they banned it because everyone was selling it. I think thats what is going to happen if they ban guns, everyone will be buying and selling because its such a huge sport and it will just add more stress to the cops who have to find the guys who still use them because then they have to find everyone and it wastes their time because instead they could help fight real crime.
Thats what i think
05/26/2013 8:18 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Dragon
mjanneyseattle
I have one question, who did you vote for in the 2012 election?
05/26/2013 8:29 pm
Zemor
not Obama.
05/26/2013 8:14 pm
Level 22 : Expert Lumberjack
blockplacer
I think we've established that gun control doesn't really work all that well unless you live in Canada.

Let's move on.
05/26/2013 8:16 pm
Zemor
Relevant:
05/26/2013 7:31 pm
Zemor
Chicago has some of the strictest gun control in the U.S.

506 people killed in 2012.

We shouldn't have to take this somewhere else.
05/26/2013 4:05 pm
blockplacer
Lightning393Oh my, this really has just gone from a simple conversation over civil politics to a heated debate[/size]

That tends to happen

This topic should be getting locked soon
05/26/2013 4:01 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pirate
Lightning393
Oh my, this really has just gone from a simple conversation over civil politics to a heated debate over gun control. If you honestly disagree with me that it's heated, take off your mask of passive aggression, please.

What I find funniest (not just funny) about this is how much it has to do with Minecraft. If you're gonna discuss this stuff, you can go http://www.debatepolitics.com/. Plenty of playmates over there.

Not trying to discourage you guys from using this thread, just advising you that if things get too heated, there are always places for more intelligent discussion.

TL;DR: Eat more cake.

Thanks fo' reading this anyhow.
If you couldn't guess, the cake part was a lie.
05/26/2013 3:28 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
ThePetrdiv
Well look at Adam Lanza, the lunatic to shot 20 children at Sandy Hook. He had a mental illness and yet he still got a gun and shot up a school. It's easy to get access to guns in america even with background checks.
05/27/2013 10:59 am
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper
11volt11
So what the heck is your point? You're just proving my point more; even if they made these dumb laws, it is still too easy to get guns for the laws to do crap.
05/27/2013 11:20 am
Zemor
...and if you put more guns into the hands of responsible citizens, these tragedies could be prevented.
05/27/2013 11:27 am
Level 28 : Expert Ninja
_books
Yup.
05/26/2013 3:53 pm
blockplacer
He stole the gun from his mother . . .
05/26/2013 3:18 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
SenorBellZim
o_O
05/26/2013 3:14 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
ThePetrdiv
Well it is easier to buy guns legally in america, since there are store where you can walk in and and buy guns. Also, Canada is a safer countries because we do not have people running around with guns like they do in the USA
05/26/2013 3:16 pm
11volt11
Gun stores do background checks. Learn a thing or two about guns before you argue about them.
05/26/2013 3:11 pm
11volt11
^
Exactly.
05/26/2013 3:09 pm
11volt11
Legalize all drugs = End of drug wars = End of killing people over drugs in cities = End of gun debate in America

Or

Require every congress member to go to a course on guns = Congress will have knowledge about guns = Congress will understand why banning guns won't solve crap and that any weapon can be an "assault weapon" = End of gun debate in America

That's the answer.
05/26/2013 2:46 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pirate
Lightning393
Cuz I'm fed up with all of this irrelevant stuff

I think we should goverrn creepers with an iron fist. We can't let those public menaces near our buildings, letalone nearby the Testificates. If they were to blow up villages like that, who would we have to trade with? Nobody. The Testificates are our main source of income, and we must respect them as such. We should first build pathways linking our cities to their settlements and rout several pig-mounted tradesmen atop swine and send em' off. From there, we can provide protection and weaponry to the Testificates, while in turn, they give us emeralds and other commodities.

On a more serious note
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_newtown_sandy_hook_shooting.html
05/26/2013 2:10 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
dancats511
Yes, it's safer in Canada, but, not in the US sadly. . . Some citizens, especially the ones in big cities such as Chicago, New York, Boston, etcetera, actually do need to run around with handguns. Maybe not for killing, although if somebody is trying to attack or steal from you you could threaten them with it, or maybe distract them by shooting them in the foot or leg, and call 911. If you didn't have a gun, however. . . They could just break in and attack you.

And yes, criminals don't obey laws, so they'd likely get a hold of guns, but if the citizens could use it they'd have protection against those criminals with guns.
Now do you understand? In fact, without guns you could just be shot dead with no protection.

So much of this. ^^

The people of the US are crueler people than those of the rest of the modern world. We were all raised to rebel against things - I mean, hell, we're only th US because of our rebelliousness. Sure, people in Canada and Australia have reacted well to the gun controls, but you're not us. You guys are nice. Some people, here, expect things to be simple and easy, and when that doesn't happen, they rage. Those people make up the majority of the people who use guns for the wrong reasons, and you guys have no idea how many guns are made and sold under the table. Outlawing guns, here, will not have the same affect that it does in your countries.
05/26/2013 11:21 am
Level 28 : Expert Ninja
_books
Politics is about compromise. Yet, neither side is compromising.

Alrighty, guns. Take a look at the world. Look at the countries that have banned guns. People still use them, right? Yeah. In my state, 63% or something like that truly voted to not ban guns and the news channels said the opposite. Really, 9 News? REALLY, FOX 31? REALLY?
*Ahem* sorry. I don't think guns should've been banned. If the world were perfect and we banned guns, criminals would use knives and other objects. So, in a nutshell, this ban on guns has done nothing.
05/26/2013 11:24 am
Zemor
You also have to remember Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao....
05/26/2013 11:12 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
IgnoreMyPostsIwas10
MasterSky
blockplacer
MasterSkyhow do

That's a good point.

I think that handguns should be completely legal, but automatic or assault weapons should be as hard to get as possible.

Criminals could still possibly get the weapons, but maybe would be less likely to.

Besides, civilians don't really need to be running around with AK-47's, now, do they?

They also don't need to be running around with handguns either. no one carries guns here in canada and it's very safe here.

Yes, it's safer in Canada, but, not in the US sadly. . . Some citizens, especially the ones in big cities such as Chicago, New York, Boston, etcetera, actually do need to run around with handguns. Maybe not for killing, although if somebody is trying to attack or steal from you you could threaten them with it, or maybe distract them by shooting them in the foot or leg, and call 911. If you didn't have a gun, however. . . They could just break in and attack you.

And yes, criminals don't obey laws, so they'd likely get a hold of guns, but if the citizens could use it they'd have protection against those criminals with guns.
Now do you understand? In fact, without guns you could just be shot dead with no protection.
05/26/2013 12:15 am
SilverKytten
DazI am against illegal immigration unless those immigrating are genuine asylum seekers, to deny them the right to escape their war torn/ third world country is a violation of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 14.

This I agree with fully.

DazEven though I can understand having some types of guns there is no LEGITIMATE reason that someone would ever need an automatic weapon or a sniper weapon, maybe the odd shotgun for farmers but other than that, very few people need guns.

No, we don't NEED automatics or snipers, but I'd like to own at least one automatic, purely for the fun of shooting it. I love all weapons, for their beauty and the fun you can have with them, when used correctly. (And no, not just hunting.)
I'm 100% against outlawing any type of guns - but I do think they should be strictly regulated. People should have to have background checks done, and take courses on how to properly use a gun, whether or not they already know how, before they're allowed to own one.

DazI am however against creationism being taught in Science in schools. I think that creationism is a religion and thus is the opposite to science. Where science is making educated conclusions based on observations, religion is denying those observations and continuing to blindly believe in something even when all evidence suggests the contrary.

I'm 50/50 on this. Science and religion can work together.. Yes, there will be some contradictions, but that's where you have to look at the evidence and decide for yourself what to believe.
Creationism, however, is not science, and therefor should not be taught in a science class. Also, if there is a course designed to teach creationism, there should also be courses designed to teach all other (non spoof) religions. Otherwise, no Creationism classes should be allowed.
05/26/2013 12:07 am
Zemor
DazI am against illegal immigration unless those immigrating are genuine asylum seekers, to deny them the right to escape their war torn/ third world country is a violation of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 14.
I am Australian and I believe that gun control was pretty much the only thing that former PM John Howard did that was GOOD. The amount of murders has drastically dropped since then, and Australia has become a much safer country in the past 15 years or so (after gun control laws were introduced.) Not a single person I know owns a gun. Even though I can understand having some types of guns there is no LEGITIMATE reason that someone would ever need an automatic weapon or a sniper weapon, maybe the odd shotgun for farmers but other than that, very few people need guns. People will argue about the 2nd amendment of the USA, not being American I don't know much of their constitution but remember that it was written before guns were anywhere NEAR as destructive as they are now. Those who wrote it had no idea that something like automatic weapons would ever be invented.
I am however against creationism being taught in Science in schools. I think that creationism is a religion and thus is the opposite to science. Where science is making educated conclusions based on observations, religion is denying those observations and continuing to blindly believe in something even when all evidence suggests the contrary.

Honestly, your last statement was really logically flawed. There is lots of evidence to support the validity of Christianity. It isn't really blind faith and it isn't denial.

However, that isn't the subject of this thread. Moving on.
05/25/2013 11:44 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
Daz
I am against illegal immigration unless those immigrating are genuine asylum seekers, to deny them the right to escape their war torn/ third world country is a violation of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 14.
I am Australian and I believe that gun control was pretty much the only thing that former PM John Howard did that was GOOD. The amount of murders has drastically dropped since then, and Australia has become a much safer country in the past 15 years or so (after gun control laws were introduced.) Not a single person I know owns a gun. Even though I can understand having some types of guns there is no LEGITIMATE reason that someone would ever need an automatic weapon or a sniper weapon, maybe the odd shotgun for farmers but other than that, very few people need guns. People will argue about the 2nd amendment of the USA, not being American I don't know much of their constitution but remember that it was written before guns were anywhere NEAR as destructive as they are now. Those who wrote it had no idea that something like automatic weapons would ever be invented.
I am however against creationism being taught in Science in schools. I think that creationism is a religion and thus is the opposite to science. Where science is making educated conclusions based on observations, religion is denying those observations and continuing to blindly believe in something even when all evidence suggests the contrary.
But those are only my opinions, please don't flame me for them.
05/25/2013 11:12 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Geek
Skullduggerycain
Gosh, I feel like Locke/Demosthenes (Reply if you get that reference!) I'm on a political hub!
05/25/2013 11:10 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Geek
Skullduggerycain
Zemor, I find your opinions interesting. Honestly, I disagree, but I'll just give my opinions. (Not to be rude or anything.) I'm highly against gun control. We can't have people going around with guns, without even running a decent background check. It's uncertain that they can be trusted with a gun, given that one could be irresponsible when given a weapon. I'm against the solution that teachers should be equipped with guns, because I'm not sure kindergarten children should see a gun on their teacher when learning their ABCs. As for the subject of abortion, I completely see your point. In technicality, you make a very good point. I am for it though, because the process of abortion saves the lives of millions of women. Abortion is provided when a woman is pregnant, but it is discovered that the woman would die if she gave birth to the baby. If abortion were illegal, millions of women in the world would die. It would also be hard for the child. It would be extremely difficult to grow up without your mother. As for the subject of illegal immigration, I am also against it. It's already a crime though... but I see how you can debate it. And just for my opinion on a different subject, I am a democrat and I support Obama care.
05/25/2013 11:02 pm
Level 40 : Master Fish
Nice7
It'll be good when Julia Gillard gets out of the chair
05/25/2013 10:54 pm
Level 47 : Master Princess
Whoever01
Snowylips
Whoever01
SnowylipsKevin Rudd's a cutie.

Kevin Rudd has anounced that he's not gonna be the next Prime Minister of Aus.

-Who

Does that mean he's renounced his title of Australia's cutest thing?
I didn't think so!

05/25/2013 10:46 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
Whoever01

-Who

Does that mean he's renounced his title of Australia's cutest thing?
I didn't think so!
05/25/2013 10:43 pm
Whoever01

-Who
05/25/2013 10:42 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
PvPwonder01
Mmm...I 'gree with Sirius
05/25/2013 10:35 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Archer
gusgus
31iwinFirst off I would like to say, I saw your views on the religion forum and now here and I very much agree. I givez u an internetz. Anyways, I think gun control is stupid. It's pretty simple: Take guns away. Criminals get guns illegally (They're criminals, they do that shit). Now only criminals have guns. Actually, it would be pretty easy for them too, considering the way Obama handles illegal immigrants and borders.

Who are you talking to?
Me?
Is so I didn't post on the religion forum...

P.S. It's kinda hard to understand what you're saying.
05/25/2013 10:32 pm
Level 23 : Expert Dragonborn
31iwin
05/25/2013 10:24 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
Kevin Rudd's a cutie.

I think that's what everyone in Australia views about government anyway. We're mor concerned with tackling crocodiles and eating vegemite.

Oh, gtg, my pet kangaroo got out of the yard.
05/25/2013 10:58 pm
SilverKytten
Who's Kevin Ru....

Oh, wow.. He is a cutie.
05/25/2013 10:07 pm
Zemor
What does everyone think about the IRS scandal? This seems worse than Watergate.
05/25/2013 10:16 pm
SilverKytten
Audits were made based on political views, rather than unusual behavior/faults.. That's about all I know about it, but it's rather disturbing.
05/25/2013 10:04 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
presmar
hehehehehehehehehe fahk yeah
05/25/2013 10:01 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
presmar
GUYS GUYS GUYS! If you think 13 year olds dont shoot guns.... I swear to go this is me
preston marlowe = presmar
www.youtube.com/watch?v=98_DrDjw8hU
05/25/2013 9:58 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
jadedwolf424
Ok, then, this is about "politics" Not "spam your ideas about grandpa's with AK47s.
05/25/2013 9:51 pm
Whoever01
So kids with guns, bad idea? If we can't stop that, there is no hope in hell stoping North Korea from dropping the bomb (eventually.)

-Who
05/25/2013 9:54 pm
SilverKytten
North Korea is the douchebag of the world. They talk big, but when it really comes down to it, they want war just as much as anyone else does - And that's about a "not at all" on a scale from yes to no.
05/25/2013 9:41 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Miner
heartshapedBox
If we ban guns, someone is still going to find a way to get one.
05/25/2013 9:35 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
I assume you all heard about the 5 year old who shot his 2 year old sister with his 'My First Rifle', a gun designed for 4-10 year olds. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/07/should-guns-designed-for-children-be-allowed/
We do not allow cigarette companies to place their adds anywhere where kids might see them, we don't let minors buy spray paint and cans of duster because they could abuse it, we don't allow cursing on daytime TV because kids are watching and we make you have to be 16 to get a driver's license. All for the kid's own protection. Yet we allow the marketing and selling of rifles to four year old children. How does that make sense?

[yt]VCkFSe3voRc[/yt]
05/25/2013 9:48 pm
Zemor
That is completely ridiculous.

heartshapedBoxIf we ban guns, someone is still going to find a way to get one.

Indeed.

Also, relevant:

05/25/2013 9:45 pm
SilverKytten
Air soft guns for 10+ are one thing.. But 4 year olds? That's just irresponsible. I don't see how that's allowed, either.
05/25/2013 9:30 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Ranger
azrobert
My view for guns is that i think they should start doing background checks on who wields a gun, but not banning guns. Thiers time's when people really do need guns for self defense.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome