Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story I started. Good or Bad?

Squishy Lemon's Avatar Squishy Lemon3/23/14 9:17 pm
3/23/2014 11:48 pm
dankworld's Avatar dankworld
I wake up and the only noise I hear is the humming that comes from the engine of the ship.
I know I’m not supposed to be awake now because nobody else is, but inevitably I still pull out my lap desk from under my bunk and swipe my shaky finger across the screen.
Nothing.
They must be locked, one of my first suspicions when I first arrived here.
They have strict policies upon being awake after curfew.
I set my lap desk back under my bunk and let my head rest in my pillow.
What time is it?
Late.
What is my family doing back home?
Probably sleeping.
Being here brings up many questions. I don’t know why, questions that are completely unnecessary like “How do you take a shower in space?” or “I wonder if this ship have a self-destruct button.”
As I said before, completely unnecessary.

My name is Arillius. I can’t tell you my last name because Commander Uuvig won’t let us.
‘For security measures’ He says.
On the bright side, at least we have privacy rights such as communicating with our families back home.
Before they didn’t even permit us to walk to the bathroom without a prefect on patrol.
And by now, from what I’ve said before, I hope you’ve concluded the place from where I’m taking note of all of this.
Space.

This is what I've got so far. Tips anyone? Good or bad? I'm not that great of a writer so hopefully it's not completely unremarkable horrible. Please give me some suggestions if you have any.
Squishy Lemon
Level 11 : Journeyman Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/23/2014 11:36 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
Xerotherm1c
Communicating with family does not fall under any definition of "privacy rights." Privacy rights are in regards to privacy: browsing the internet without someone looking over your shoulder, showering in private, talking on the phone without people listening in (cough cough NSA cough).
03/23/2014 9:54 pm
Squishy Lemon
That's a great idea, thank you for the suggestion. Your completely right
03/23/2014 9:51 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Squishy LemonI wake up and the only noise I hear is the humming that comes from the engine of the ship.
I know I’m not supposed to be awake now because nobody else is, but inevitably I still pull out my lap desk from under my bunk and swipe my shaky finger across the screen.
Nothing.
What time is it?
Late.
Probably sleeping.
Being here brings up many questions. I don’t know why, questions that are completely unnecessary like “How do you take a shower in space?” or “I wonder if this ship have a self-destruct button.”

My name is Arillius. I can’t tell you my last name because Commander Uuvig won’t let us.
On the bright side, at least we have privacy rights such as communicating with our families back home.
Before they didn’t even permit us to walk to the bathroom without a prefect on patrol.
And by now, from what I’ve said before, I hope you’ve concluded the place from where I’m taking note of all of this.
Space.

Is he breaking the fourth wall with "I can't tell you"? Also, I feel like you should take a more direct point. Sure, we know there's a kid in space... and, nothing else really. Once you get about 2-3 sentences in, you need something that really grabs the reader, like, if you said;
"I know I’m not supposed to be awake now because nobody else is, but inevitably I still pull out my lap desk from under my bunk and swipe my shaky finger across the screen. My whole body quivers as I hear the late-night patrol walk down the hallway; if they catch me, I don't know what punishments they're allowed to give out. The new laws enacted give them freedom to do anything they want around here."

Like that, maybe. Just my opinion, though, I have a certain writing style.
03/23/2014 9:51 pm
Squishy Lemon
Avatar, yes. Edward Elric is one of my favorite anime characters.
Also. about the "why would you pull it out if you knew it was locked"
It's more of a hunch you have like "I really hope that the classroom door isn't locked so I can grab my lunch"
03/23/2014 9:46 pm
Squishy Lemon
Btw, awesome thumbnail WritingIsFun
03/23/2014 9:48 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
WritingIsFun
Thumbnail? Do you mean avatar?

Anyways, disregard the thing about "why would you pull it out if you knew it was locked?" You had a suspicion, you couldn't know for sure.
03/23/2014 9:46 pm
Squishy Lemon
Thanks!
03/23/2014 9:45 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
WritingIsFun
Squishy LemonI wake up and the only noise I hear is the humming that comes from the engine of the ship.
Nothing.
What time is it?
Late.
Probably sleeping.

Space.

This is what I've got so far. Tips anyone? Good or bad? I'm not that great of a writer so hopefully it's not completely unremarkable horrible. Please give me some suggestions if you have any.

Nothing's really bad here, I like it.
03/23/2014 9:41 pm
Squishy Lemon
xD "Hogwarts in Space" I could call it
03/23/2014 9:39 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
tots do a harry potter sci-fi version
03/23/2014 9:37 pm
Squishy Lemon
Great idea Also I made sure to change that "And by now, from what I’ve said before, I hope you’ve concluded the place from where I’m taking note of all of this.
Space."
03/23/2014 9:34 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Dragonborn
Ghostmod
its not bad however if you want it to be a lot better don't give away so much information in the story, you want to give hints to things going on that make the reader figure out information for themselves, and also I would change the fact that its locked for some reason that he wasn't awear of cuz it doesn't make much since for him to get up and check something he knows is locked, a more reasonable explanation imo is he woke up for some awkard reason and couldn't get to sleep so he went for his lap desk to write something in his diary and found out it was locked!! why? who was in his room and why would they lock his lapdesk then with a sudden chill moving slowly down his spine and shakey fingers he carefully placed the lapdesk back under his bed, being careful to place it in the same spot he removed it from,
03/23/2014 9:30 pm
Squishy Lemon
Any ideas or comments?
03/23/2014 9:19 pm
Squishy Lemon
Also, any plot ideas that DON'T sound like I'm ripping off Ender's Game?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome