My texture pack is everywhere?

ASF's Avatar ASF7/4/14 11:34 am
7/7/2014 11:38 am
ASF's Avatar ASF
Hey guys.

I recently googled one of my texture pack's names, Arcility, mostly for kicks and giggles.
I found out that websites are distributing my texture pack.
I'm finding it frustrating that my texture pack is everywhere, now, and I can't seem to do anything about it.

Is there anything I can try to do, to stop people from putting my texture pack on their websites?
ASF
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

ASF
07/07/2014 11:38 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Thanks guys. I've put the Creative Commons on both of my texture packs, so hopefully that stops people from putting my texture pack on their websites (which it probably won't).
discOtter
07/04/2014 1:12 pm
Level 47 : Master Giraffe
This is to be expected. The only website I gave permission to re-post my pack to was MinecraftDL.com and yet it's being featured (not using my download) on numerous sites.
Find Them Creepers
07/04/2014 1:05 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
What websites did you initially place it on? Just PMC, or what?
13_moons
07/04/2014 12:41 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Archer
Silvania StudiosSend a DMCA to the sites in question, giving them 28 days to comply. Most of them usually will.

Unlike mods/plugins, there is no legal grey area with texture packs. YOU made the assets, from scratch, they are YOUR copyright. Technically you can even sell them; Mojang may not be happy about it but they can't stop you as it's 100% original content.

John Buckdownload my skins.

Because of this, I'm now intentionally NOT going to even look at your skins. This kind of promotion is disgusting.

Listen to that advise.
I rate it 10/10
Fureniku
07/04/2014 11:58 am
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Send a DMCA to the sites in question, giving them 28 days to comply. Most of them usually will.

Unlike mods/plugins, there is no legal grey area with texture packs. YOU made the assets, from scratch, they are YOUR copyright. Technically you can even sell them; Mojang may not be happy about it but they can't stop you as it's 100% original content.

John Buckdownload my skins.

Because of this, I'm now intentionally NOT going to even look at your skins. This kind of promotion is disgusting.
HassanPCMR
07/04/2014 11:56 am
Level 29 : Expert Pirate
im going to go work on my texture pack now... i was kinda delaying it its hard work
CrafterDragon
07/04/2014 11:46 am
Level 42 : Master Dragon
I would actually find it flattering. If they put adfly link to it without your permission then I would be frustrated. If they are linking the link to your site then thats fine. In fact if they are doing that then they are advertising for you.
13_moons
07/04/2014 11:45 am
What I find really useful is Creative Commons.
I use it to protect my skins from being stolen or posted somewhere else when they didn't have my permissions. You can choose a licence there to either let people share your work, let your work to be in commercial uses, or not. When you finish those steps, you get a little licence picture to put on your web page/profile. Like this one:

I recommend it. If you want to try it, here's the link to make the licence:
http://creativecommons.org/choose/
HassanPCMR
07/04/2014 11:51 am
just made one now im going to put this on all my stuff
craftxbox
07/04/2014 11:54 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
allready have one
13_moons
07/04/2014 11:52 am
Trust me, it'll help
craftxbox
07/04/2014 11:45 am
are they giving you credit or just taking it as their own? if they are giving credit then contact the websites that are distributing your texturepack and tell them to stop. if they arent giving credit ask them to ethier stop or give credit if they dont do anything within 2 weeks you have the right to sue them for piracy
HassanPCMR
07/04/2014 11:47 am
If his pack is not copyrighted (i dont know if it is) then they have the right to distribute it

EDIT: Again I'd like to say that Im not a lawyer and go to a real lawyer if your planning on sueing
thecrazydudesrd
07/04/2014 1:30 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Artist
No matter what, your work is always yours, you automatically have copyright. All the licences do is say what the individual downloading the work can do with your work. Hope I saved some folks from misinformation
craftxbox
07/04/2014 11:50 am
Yes of course the pack has to be under a copyright licence
HassanPCMR
07/04/2014 11:41 am
Hmmm you should have put all the fancy copyright stuff on your texture pack that says they cant distribute it. Then its illegal for them to do it

Edit: I am not a lawyer and for legal advice ask a real lawyer
John Buck
07/04/2014 11:39 am
Level 30 : Artisan Pixel Painter
I have no idea, but that sounds really aggravating.

download my skins.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome