Which microphone is best for gameplay commentary?! :S

TyllarTV's Avatar TyllarTV3/29/13 10:20 pm
1 emeralds 1.3k 7
4/20/2013 4:49 am
TyllarTV's Avatar TyllarTV
Hey all! I've been wanting to invest in a new microphone lately to improve the audio quality in my Youtube videos, but cannot make up my mind about which mic I should buy. Right now I'm torn between buying an AT2020 Usb condenser mic or a Blue Yeti... I've heard both positive and negative things about both. AT2020's don't have the ability to manually adjust settings like the Blue Yeti, but the Blue Yeti is so big that no shock mount (except Blue's own shock mount which got poor reviews) will fit it... Another issues is that my keyboard is loud, and I'm worried that regardless of which mic I pick, it will pick up on that sound... I also want to start live streaming but have heard the AT2020 has a bit of a latency issue.... and that would be bad for live streaming...

so I guess I have three questions. 1) AT2020 or Blue Yeti? 2) Will condenser microphones pick up on my loud clackity clack keyboard regardless of which mic I choose? and 3) Anyone know if these two mics have any issues where live streaming is concerned? Ah yes and 4) Any mics that you'd recommend that I didn't list already?

I know the likelihood of someone finding this post and knowing the answer to my questions is slim but I'd sure appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter!
TyllarTV
Level 28 : Expert Ninja

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/20/2013 4:49 am
TyllarTV
Went with the Blue Yeti! Really glad I did, love the option to manually adjust the gain and switch the patterns on the fly! Thanks for all the great advice guys! So far the Yeti has served it's purpose quite nicely!
03/29/2013 11:53 pm
Level 24 : Expert Artist
Kittle
Watch this video, should help you out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etTaUOyOR5A

For the record, I own a blue yeti and love it so far! But seriously I doubt it would make much difference only for gameplay commentary. If it was for recording yourself singing or something that'd be another story.
03/29/2013 11:19 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Caveman
MCRique
iMicro IM320

Very Cheap, and decent quality. I like it a lot, and it's USB. Good Audio Quality.

Go with a Turtle Beach if you're willing to splurge
03/29/2013 11:12 pm
TyllarTV
Hey thanks for the quick replies guys! That's good to know that regardless of which mic I choose it will pick up the keyboard (might look into getting a quieter keyboard then) also should probably think of a way to create my own shock mount or a separate shelf should I go with the Blue Yeti! That is one other appeal about the AT2020 however is that I could suspend it with a mic boom (eliminating the issue of having vibrations coming from the desk. Amles123 I've heard the Samson Meteor is a good mic as well! Thanks for the suggestion I'll check out some reviews on it!

I like your idea Dovahkiin of setting the Yeti to cardioid! That way I could simply position the mic in such a way that it is between my keyboard and my face lol Also do like the idea of manual controls for volume on the yeti... the only thing that erks me about it is the size. Don't think there's a mic boom that'd support it well and any universal shock mount will not fit on it =/

Thanks again for the suggestions though guys! And TheMasterofTrumpets, that's a good idea about checking out a local store! Maybe I'll ask if they'd do a price match as well!
03/29/2013 10:28 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
TheMasterofTrumpets
I have a Blue Yeti. Right now it is siting on my desk right in front of my keyboard. The sounds of the keyboard are going to be picked up unless you have a slient mouse and keyboard and the mic is not touching the desk and is suspended, like on a book stand. The blue yeti is worth the money, and has great sound quality. I got mine from my local guitar center for less than $100 because they do price match.
03/29/2013 10:26 pm
Level 23 : Expert Architect
Amles123
Answers
1) can't say, haven't used either. (I bought a Samson Meteor, and love it)
2) Yes, all mics pick up keyboards
3) don't know
4) Samson Meteor
03/29/2013 10:25 pm
Level 23 : Expert Dragonborn
Dohvakiin
Well, i would go for the blue yeti.

EDIT: If this is sitting on your desk in front of the computer keyboard and mouse and not shock mounted it will pickup everything surrounding it! No way around that. The vocalist and mic to be noise free from surrounding outside sources usually is in a sound proof vocal booth. The best thing to do in my opinion, is to set it to Cardiod. That way it only captures that thing in front of it (your voice)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome