Do you believe time travel is possible?

TheMiniGuy's Avatar TheMiniGuy8/31/12 9:08 am
9/1/2012 2:01 am
DrThresh's Avatar DrThresh
Share your thoughts below.
TheMiniGuy
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/31/2012 11:48 am
Level 27 : Expert Pony
Invincible12
Time travelling is possible.But we can just travel to the future.Its possible with a space ship that travels lightspeed if you are moving with lightspeed in the space we will have following thing : if you travelling 10 minutes with lightspeed in the space you will come back and on earth its 10 years later.....
08/31/2012 11:45 am
Level 31 : Artisan Mountaineer
ZeKadeo
Time travel is a vague topic..
But the theory of the worm hole is a perplexing topic because it would cause a 'short cut'
in Layman's terms but if you could find a way to traverse through one for an amount of time it would be considered time travel.
As to the topic of sleeping, it's still the same amount of time that you're spending sleeping. There is no way to comprehend what you could have done during this time due to the fact that you are in a submissive state. I suppose sleep is the easy way to imagine it.. It's much more complex
08/31/2012 11:16 am
TheMiniGuy
08/31/2012 11:07 am
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
bob99
We need Doc Brown and a Flux Capacitor!
08/31/2012 11:39 am
Level 20 : Expert Pokemon
Elyki_XD
Quick! Someone fall and hit their head!

BTTF FTW!
08/31/2012 11:00 am
Level 48 : Master Artist
janidorr
08/31/2012 10:45 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
mommaCarole
Now hold on, I answered this question LAST week when you.... oh wait, sorry.
08/31/2012 10:17 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
jason0735
Zaphodx you theoredically are correct because the amount of time your in space a day is longer than 24 hours making you younger than a person that was born on the same day as you at the same time. However you would also age slower aswell because of the fact that your moving slower around the sun. So lets pretend that for every day in space that 2 days on Earth. So when you age 1 year all the people on Earth have aged 2 years making it seem that you slowed down time 1 year.
08/31/2012 10:14 am
Level 39 : Artisan Warrior
Pinkie_Pie12570
Step one

Cover yourself in peanut brittle

Step two

Cover yourself in more peanut brittle

Step three

Freeze yourself in the peanut brittle

Step four

Wait

Step five

Step six

Profit
08/31/2012 10:22 am
Level 24 : Expert Engineer
thepancakeking
Gravity falls quote
08/31/2012 10:12 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Enderdragon
sordxyx
Time Travel
You ravel to um 1999
Kill someone
In this time nothing will change cus you already went back and killed him
08/31/2012 10:10 am
Level 29 : Expert Dragon
Sowhart
yes because we are travelling in time, right as I type this message, going forwards in time by seconds.
08/31/2012 10:13 am
Level 44 : Master Artist
Starwarrior25
I would quite disagree. The time now(present) is always continuing, and is not stuck at one point.
08/31/2012 10:05 am
Level 44 : Master Artist
Starwarrior25
No, I do not believe in time travel. I agree though a bit with RipClaw
08/31/2012 10:15 am
TheMiniGuy
The fact that you like pixel art tells me that you aren't as creative as other people.
So that would make sense that believe in theory.
08/31/2012 9:59 am
thepancakeking
The only way you Could In a way time travel is traveling at the speed of light (over 800,000,000 miles per second) beacuse to thoery nothing ages at the speed of light so travel at the speed of light for 100 years and then reture to earth (auming you in space) you are 100 years in the future
08/31/2012 9:57 am
Level 45 : Master Batman
DrThresh
While I support parallel universes, I still think that, if you were to go back in time and kill your mother, you would have created a new universe where you killed your mother, which is the one you end up going forward to, based on the branches/trousers idea of multiple universe creation, However, if it is the case, then it could go either way when you return to the point in time you came from, just in another universe. You could be in one where you ceased to exist historically, but you've come from an already written universe, so you don't disappear. Or the more sensationalised "you just erased yourself from history" theory.
08/31/2012 10:07 am
TheMiniGuy
I agree with you completely.
08/31/2012 10:04 am
TheMiniGuy
I agree with you completely.
08/31/2012 10:02 am
thepancakeking
So you saying that every time has a diffrenet univse running at the same time so if you go back in time your taveling to a differnet univses and if you do something that changes the past with you being born you would still exist beacuse your in a different univses where that time has past?
09/01/2012 2:01 am
Level 45 : Master Batman
DrThresh
Pretty much, but you wouldn't be able to go back to your origin (and therefore validate) because you've now created a different path which you are travelling to. Parallel universe are created by choice. You could go left, you could go right. You could have ham and eggs for breakfast, or you could have cereal. The infinite number of universes are created solely on the mediocrity of chaotic life.
08/31/2012 9:51 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
1DUDE
lol ^
08/31/2012 9:49 am
Level 40 : Master Network
ZaphodX
@ripclaw
A lot of theories of going to the past and to alternate universes falls down when examined under time loop theory (After travelling back in time one must get to the point in the future and return back in time with the exact same intentions - if you don't return back in time at that point, then you never went back in time to get there in the first place).
08/31/2012 9:48 am
1DUDE
lol the infinite universes is like the most retarded hypothesis ever. It's like the "does a set of all sets contain it's self paradox". If it does then there's an unlimited anmount of every set. Somewhere there's a parallel universe that is exactly the same as this one, as the same thing can happen twice. and THEN there's a parallel universe of the parallel universe that's the same as ours. It has no real evidence, this hypothesis, and it's kinda stupid in my opinion.
08/31/2012 9:55 am
ZaphodX
All time travel is mere theory anyway. Infinite parallel universes is one of the most simple, logical explanations. I suggest you look up what the 4th dimension is, it would probably explain a lot you don't seem to grasp.
08/31/2012 10:06 am
thepancakeking
4th dimension is time and space right?
08/31/2012 10:43 am
ZaphodX
The 4th dimension would contain every individual discrete time event from every combination of possible events. i.e. Every decision and event occuring in your life causes an infinitely branching string of possible events for how your existence could turn out. The 4th dimension contains every single string of possible ways your life could have happened (as well as everyone else's possible permutations of their life).
08/31/2012 9:45 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
Berz3rKer
does freezing count?
you'll just 'feel' like you travelled into the future
08/31/2012 9:44 am
1DUDE
It still isn't time travel...
08/31/2012 9:43 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Procrastinator
Rakqoi
Oh yeah, then there's a theory I've been considering which probably has already been thought of, but here it is.

Supposedly, some scientists and theorists believe that there are parallel universes (an infinite number) in which every possible event happens. Every [insert unit of time here], an infinite of parallel universes is created. So maybe, if we travel in time backwards (I still don't believe it would even be possible, but I'm thinking here. Be quiet.) instead of traveling to OUR dimension's past, we travel to a different one's past/present (depending on how time works in relativity) so anything we change will NOT affect our own world. When we return home, nothing has changed, but in the other universe it has. For instance, if you travel in time and kill your mother before you are born, when you return home, nothing has changed. In the other universe though, maybe you just prevented the world from ever being able to travel in time.

This COULD also be a possibility to travel between parallel universes (given they exist and traveling in time will be possible - in either direction), but currently I can't even think of a reason why traveling in time would cause a universe warp.

(Note: Whenever I referred to dimension, I meant another universe)

Edit:
ZaphodXYou can travel to the future by flying a rocket 5 years away from the earth and then flying back. -snip-

I really love this one, which I've actually watched shows on and read more stuff about. In my other post I mentioned that it would take a long time to travel to the future and I was referring to this possibility.
ZaphodX
You can travel to the future by flying a rocket 5 years away from the earth and then flying back. More than 10 years will have passed when you return due to time dilation caused by time being relative to the observer. (Also, your permanent PMC ban would have ended, yay)

Instantaneous time travel isn't really possible and travelling backwards in time brings up the fact that we can't travel faster than light. To travel through time one would have to exist within the 4th dimension and be able to observe the 5th dimension. This is hard enough to comprehend as a thought exercise let alone ascending to exist within a higher dimension.

inb4 wat?
1DUDE
am i right?
1DUDE
But hey, there's no time like the present than the present future
08/31/2012 9:40 am
1DUDE
eh, sleep doesn't have to do anything with time travel. your just unconscious. derp
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Modder
Jt9
read the post again
there might be the word "feel" in it
08/31/2012 9:39 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Modder
Jt9
the only thing *close* to time travel is sleep.
you go to sleep, and when you wake up, it feels like you just time traveled some hours to the morning...
08/31/2012 9:50 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Miner
RedParadoxin
08/31/2012 9:39 am
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Charlizard
Time travel to the past isn't possible, or they just haven't travelled to this date or any date earlier.
08/31/2012 9:38 am
1DUDE
TECHNICALLY you could, IF Eistein's general theory of relativity is true, using time dilation. What would happen is you travel at certain speeds in space so that time dilation kicks in, and then you'd be traveling at a slower time than the rest of the inhabitants of earth. How'd you actually do this...well it would require a bit of explaining. And if you want me to tell you how it works then, buddy, just google the general theory of relativity. Im too lazy. You asked if time travel was possible and i believe you can only go to the future faster if Eistein's theory is true. Past time travel my be possible if somehow you could get into the 4th demension, and if there's actually a 4th demensional place. The 4th demension has to do with "space and time", so maybe... you could? I don't know.
08/31/2012 9:34 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
Berz3rKer
I can time travel!

I just don't want to
08/31/2012 9:32 am
Level 27 : Expert Princess
Jesuitical
RipClaw-Snip-

Respect +1.
08/31/2012 9:28 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Procrastinator
Rakqoi
Oh where to begin.

No, time travel is not possible - to the past. To the future, it's entirely possible and we have potential ways to do so already, just not the technology to actually put it to use yet. Also, it would take a long time to travel to the future, be irreversible, and not very convenient.

Traveling to the past would cause so many problems from simply being there. In theory, it simply wouldn't work at all even if we could. For instance, you travel to the past, alter the past to cause yourself not to be born, and then by cause and effect you aren't born, you never travel to the past, so you didn't intervene, so you ARE born, and you DO travel to the past. Simply, nothing would happen or something VERY bad would happen. Also, no time travelers are here in the present, so that nearly proves that we will never be able to travel in time to the past.

Time travel is a topic that very much intrigues me.
08/31/2012 9:24 am
TheMiniGuy
also take a look at my other posts.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome