I cant Allocate RAM HELP???

TenaciousMelon's Avatar TenaciousMelon3/15/14 4:10 pm
1 emeralds 6.5k 17
4/11/2014 10:42 pm
planetminecrafter52342's Avatar planetminecrafter52342
FIrst off I have had experience with allocating RAM, I tried it on another PC no problem. I tried it on mine the same exact way with no luck, I tried making a batch file with java parameters like -Xmx2048m it loaded the launcher and ran the world no problem, then I pressed F3 and it said 455Mb allocated. I specified 2048Mb and I also put that into the launcher's advanced settings. I have tried with the Technic Launcher as well, going to the settings and changing the allocated memory to 2Gb, I get in game and its at 455Mb. I have uninstalled java multiple times and installed the 64-bit version, yet still nothing works. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Specs:
RAM: 8Gb
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 750M 1Gb VRAM
CPU: Intel i5
TenaciousMelon
Level 40 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/11/2014 10:42 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
First, right click my computer, and properties. That will tell you how much RAM you have. Second, if you have a 32 bit operating system OR 32bit java, it may not allow more.
Make sure to have 64bit OS, and 64Bit Java.

Edit: If this helped any.
04/11/2014 10:38 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
maxwelljohn
I LOVE YOU!!!
03/17/2014 12:22 am
TenaciousMelon
Ok so I went into my advanced settings under computer properties, and environment variables and Java_Options was set at 512mb, i'm not sure how it got set to that, so I changed it to 2048mb and now everything works like a charm. Thanks for the help!
03/16/2014 9:30 pm
TenaciousMelon
TheShadbusher
TenaciousMelon
Ok, off the subject of the vanilla minecraft launcher, when I open a world using Tekkit, what you're saying is that if I have 2Gb allocated that it will only use what it needs. I cant get into any of the worlds when i open them with a modpack. If i have 2Gb allocated than the world should open no problem

That doesn't sound like a memory problem, but just to be sure, I'll run Tekkit with whatever the default amount of RAM the Technic Launcher gives Minecraft, and see what happens.

UPDATE: Using what I assume is a -Xmx1G flag, I can run Tekkit just fine. This was a newly-generated world.

In my case though, Minecraft gave itself more memory than you were experiencing it give itself.

Yeah, my friend can allocate RAM in Tekkit, but thats the only thing I can think of that would not allow me not to load a world, it just goes to the loading screen and sits there for until I close the window.
03/15/2014 5:32 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
TenaciousMelon
Ok, off the subject of the vanilla minecraft launcher, when I open a world using Tekkit, what you're saying is that if I have 2Gb allocated that it will only use what it needs. I cant get into any of the worlds when i open them with a modpack. If i have 2Gb allocated than the world should open no problem

That doesn't sound like a memory problem, but just to be sure, I'll run Tekkit with whatever the default amount of RAM the Technic Launcher gives Minecraft, and see what happens.

UPDATE: Using what I assume is a -Xmx1G flag, I can run Tekkit just fine. This was a newly-generated world.

In my case though, Minecraft gave itself more memory than you were experiencing it give itself.
03/15/2014 5:28 pm
TenaciousMelon
TheShadbusher
TenaciousMelon
But if you specify a certain amount of RAM in the top right corner in-game it will tell you in Mb how much is allocated, this is why i cant play tekkit, because 455Mb is all that is being allocated and it needs more than that to run properly

If you use an -Xmx2048M flag and run Minecraft, and it only says it allocated 455 MB, then it only needs 455 MB and won't take more memory away from the rest of your computer unless it needs it.

03/15/2014 4:54 pm
Leeberator
You don't need an -Xms flag. Minecraft will scale its memory allocation based on how much it needs, up to what you put in your -Xmx flag. If Minecraft is only allocating 455 MB at a given time, then it knows that it only needs 455 MB at that time.
03/15/2014 4:59 pm
TenaciousMelon
But if you specify a certain amount of RAM in the top right corner in-game it will tell you in Mb how much is allocated, this is why i cant play tekkit, because 455Mb is all that is being allocated and it needs more than that to run properly
03/15/2014 5:22 pm
Leeberator
If you use an -Xmx2048M flag and run Minecraft, and it only says it allocated 455 MB, then it only needs 455 MB and won't take more memory away from the rest of your computer unless it needs it.

I have an -Xmx1G flag for this profile. Minecraft doesn't need all 910 MB all at once to run well, so it's only given itself around 500 MB for now. If it needs more memory, it'll allocate more up to 910 MB. Mods used here are Forge, GLSL Shaders, Zan's Minimap, the Macro/Keybind mod, EffectGUI, and ArmorGUI.
03/15/2014 4:23 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
1. Open up the launcher
2. In the section "Profile Selection" click on "Edit Profile"
3. Under "Java Settings (Advanced), activate "JVM Arguments" and add into the text area this argument:
-Xmx2048M -Xms2048M
(Make sure the box is checked)

Copy that exactly, only change the numbers, for more/less ram.
03/15/2014 4:33 pm
TenaciousMelon
I have tried this, I just tried it again... When I put a minimum (-Xms2048M) I hit play, the launcher stays there, it flashes and nothing opens up. Minecraft wont even run when I add a -Xms if i just put -Xmx2048m it will run and i can play just fine but it doesn't change the allocated ram within the game
03/15/2014 4:47 pm
Killertoad
Hmm, have you deleted your .minecraft? Redownload minecraft and then try it (but backup your worlds/servers)
03/15/2014 4:51 pm
TenaciousMelon
Unfortunately I have done this as well
03/15/2014 4:23 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Mage
Nick08142012
Check how many cards of RAM you have in your computer, it might be less that you think
03/15/2014 4:24 pm
Killertoad
The computer settings tell you how much you have...
03/15/2014 4:14 pm
Killertoad
Why do you want more ram allocated? Ram doesn't make it faster, and that laptop runs it quite fast, I assume.
03/15/2014 4:18 pm
TenaciousMelon
Im trying to play Tekkit, with over 100 mods it requires over 455Mb of RAM. Yes I can run Minecraft with over 120 FPS but I cant even load up a world in Tekkit or any of the mod packs
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome