Custom mob spawns

Ontvlambaar's Avatar Ontvlambaar6/24/18 7:16 am history
1 emeralds 279 1
6/25/2018 6:05 am
ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser
Hello,
For one of my resource packs, I'm trying to add a way for people to have the mobs spawn naturally in their world. The textures are finished and can already be acquired by using Optifine's custom name-based mob functionality.

What I want to do now is give players the option to have those mobs spawn pre-named in certain biomes, at certain times and with different stats and drops than their vanilla counterparts. I'm able to make spawn eggs, spawners and a summon command to do this, but it would be nice to let the game decide when a mob spawns and where it spawns.

Is there any way to have pre-named mobs spawn naturally using a data pack or mc function? Similar to the custom loot tables?
I dont mind using a mod for this either, but a vanilla function would be less.. compulsory than forcing having to download a mod for this to work.

Example:
I want to have a mule with 20 hearts called 'unicorn' spawn rarely overnight, that drops a diamond sword called 'unicorn on a stick' when killed. Those names aren't random, they match a certain texture of optifine CIT.
Ontvlambaar
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Artist