Help with downloading the 1.18 snapshot

Shrimpware's Avatar Shrimpware7/14/21 1:01 pm history
7/14/2021 2:32 pm
SUPERIONtheKnight's Avatar SUPERIONtheKnight
I followed all the instructions, but I can't figure it out! Please help

I don't really have much experience with unzipping stuff and placing it in a file. I can't figure out how to put it into my "versions" folder :<
Shrimpware
Level 27 : Expert Spelunker

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/14/2021 2:32 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
SUPERIONtheKnight
See my comment here if you haven't already: https://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/minecraft/discussion/what-do-you-think-of-the-first-1-18-snapshot_638093/comment/3596610#reply_3596610

Now I will go into more detail and assume that you are using Windows 10(If you aren't, let me know and I will give a better reply. The process should still be pretty similar though.).
  1. To start, close all instances of minecraft, and the minecraft launcher, and download the file off of minecraft.net here: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/new-world-generation-java-available-testing
  2. Next press the Windows Key + R, and a run dialog box should open.
  3. Inside that box, type the following, and press enter: %appdata%\.minecraft\versions
  4. Now move the zip file you just downloaded into this folder, this is where we will unzip it.
  5. To unzip the file we just downloaded, Right click the file, and click "Extract All...".
  6. A window should pop up, click "Extract".
  7. Go inside the folder "1_18_experimental-snapshot-1", and check to see if there is another duplicate folder with that same name inside. If this is the case, move that folder into the versions folder we were in before. If you see a file named "1_18_experimental-snapshot-1.json" instead, then move on.
  8. Optionally delete the zip file you originally downloaded.
  9. Load up the minecraft launcher, and click the "Installations" tab.
  10. Make sure the option "Modded" is checked on the top right, then click "New installation".
  11. Name it whatever you want like "1.18 snapshot", then select "pending 1.18_experimental-snapshot-1" for the version.
  12. Click the Play tab, select the 1.18 snapshot, and start the game!

I hope this helps! :)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome