Make my project copyrighted

leandro390's Avatar leandro39012/30/15 12:52 pm
1/8/2016 3:06 pm
anonpmc1665509's Avatar anonpmc1665509
I have an big project done but i wanna now how do I make it that people can't use it for in there servers, ect. I atleast want that people ask my permmision to use it, its fine by me then. If they ask it, i will take a good look at it to decide if they CAN use it in there servers. I want to make people able to play the map, but not use it for there project, servers, ect. I would hope to make people happy with my map, thats why i hope that you guys respond ASP ( as soon as possible ). In Name of Leandro, thanks for making it possible to upload my maps to your site.

Kind regarts,

Leandro
leandro390
Level 11 : Journeyman Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

HeyItsPaul
01/08/2016 3:04 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Mage
how2copyright 2016
WARNING: THIS IS NOT GUATRATENTEATANEDTAD BY PMC.
GabeN approved.

1) Get ur project
2) Put creditzzz everywhere
3) If u find any copyies of ur pwoject anyhere else, use da "report" feature.
4) no luk? try *reading the thread*
5) http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/mods-discussion/2314237-list-of-sites-stealing-minecraft-content
6) ???
7) profit!!!!!! (no cash included)
8) Play Portal 2.
anonpmc1665509
01/08/2016 3:06 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Miner
[deleted]
Bertiecrafter
01/01/2016 1:07 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I won't even answer that

There were just like 25 posts about that already.....
craftergurl
01/01/2016 1:01 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Princess
How do you copyright stuff?
macgarthur
01/08/2016 2:50 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
Essentially you need to draft it up and then put it in for approval. You need to be able to prove that your idea is completely unique and unlike anything out there, which would be near impossible to do with a Minecraft schematic. Also don't forget you'll need to pay anywhere between $500-$5000 depending on if you hire a lawyer to professional draft it (I would recommend you do) as well as processing and application fees.
Lead_Airplanes
01/02/2016 3:35 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
Library of Congress.
guestds
01/02/2016 3:56 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
or the internet somewhere but disney will steal it after and then get paid illegally by the people who helped make it... and dont even pay you (disney actually stole mickey mouse before he was legal for everyone to use for free)
Lachie1770
01/02/2016 5:50 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Whoah

Well it is Disney we are talking about... AKA The ones who brought the Curse of a movie called frozen after all
Lead_Airplanes
01/03/2016 3:04 am
Uhhh... Yeah, ok I'll give you Frozen, Lachie. But guestds, what? You mean because they were able to extend the copyright due to the Sonny Bono Extension Act? That's not stealing, that's just preventing their IP from entering the public domain...
Bertiecrafter
01/01/2016 12:57 pm
eehm? what about the command block thing above??

It seems perfect, only allow it to play, but don't allow people to make servers out of it...

just hide the command blocks
Lachie1770
01/02/2016 5:47 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
you do realize they can like you know disable Command blocks on servers and somehow find and remove them right?

Anyway if you don't want people using your build just don't put a download, simple as that
Bertiecrafter
01/03/2016 6:04 am
Yeahhhhh that's a thing...
Ivain
01/01/2016 9:48 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
What prototypeTheta said.
If you want a project to remain exclusive, don't put a download link. Host it on a server with anti-worlddownlaoder and anti-schematica plugins. That's the only way you'll make the chances of it being redistributed tiny.

If you put a download, expect it to be used and redistributed. Which is why my terms mean that if I put a download, people can use it however they want as long as they credit me. I just realized I should adapt that to the "no making money" part, but most of my downloads are broken anyway.
PrototypeTheta
01/01/2016 7:35 am
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
Trust me, nobody will ask permission, even if you have protection you need to be able to enforce it.

Now if this was a commercial venture, you could do just that. Sometimes you can enforce protection without having to spend anything, but that only happens when you are against a mature, tangible opponent. Some random kid using it for his server? You can't really get them to take it down in the event they want to be a dick about it.

It's hard enough (mostly impossible) to protect against redistribution, but stopping people from using it in a certain way? Well, my advice is don't bother, it's a pain and it's pretty futile when the project in question is available for free in the first place and you aren't making any money from it. I ended up just getting a license that says you can do what you want with the project as long as you aren't making money off of it, and thus far I've had no hassle with it.
Bertiecrafter
01/01/2016 4:55 am
http://gdurl.com/xayg

to get to the image, you can zoom in on both PMC and the image
Bertiecrafter
01/01/2016 4:54 am
Bla bla bla

I totally skipped everything about the government and other things

Why does nobody think of just get a prevention in mc?

macgarthur
12/30/2015 7:55 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
You can't copyright your project as you don't own it, Mojang owns all the intellectual property aka the game, so anything you do inside the game you don't own anyways.
Ivain
12/30/2015 8:11 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Mojang owns the code. They do not own the creative thoughts of builds. This is why trading schematics of builds for money is allowed by their EULA, since schematics are not minecraft code but Worldedit-based information that can be converted into minecraft code.

example: I could design something in Blender, then sell that and get the buyer to make a Minecraft build out of it with binvox. perfectly legal.
making something in minecraft and selling it is legal, as long as it is your own creation you are selling, and not actual minecraft code.

Copyrighting a minecraft build is tricky, but I think Captainmurica has said all that there is to be said on that subject. Generally, though, its not worth the bother unless it is a very valuable project.
SilverKytten
12/30/2015 7:48 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
CaptainMurica
It doesn't matter if people can only "see" the stolen content. In fact, that's what happens to most stolen content that's reposted elsewhere. The fact of the matter is that if OP sets terms of use for his work and someone violates them, then he can issue a takedown. The offending user doesn't even have to comply - it's up to the hosting company or ISP to take care of it. No lawyers need to be involved.

Creative Commons is a type of license used to allow use of content so long as credit is given, and is not a recommended license to use for software.

...Have you ever had to issue a DMCA takedown notice? I have.

It's not stolen if the owner of the creation puts it up specifically so that other people can download and use it.

Takedowns only apply to distributed content.

We're not talking about software, a blog, or an image. We're talking about a build.
Leeberator
12/30/2015 7:37 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
SilverKytten
The way that assumes they're 'using' it is putting it up on a separate website -- A server using a build is nothing like that. The only thing players can do is look at it. They can't take it and use it elsewhere. The person using it isn't making money off of it.

That being said --- If they were to try to redistribute the build, it would be enforceable, but still only just barely. You would need to get lawyers involved, if they refuse.

From what I understand, Creative Commons are actually broader than DMCA protections, though I could be confusing CC with something else.

It doesn't matter if people can only "see" the stolen content. In fact, that's what happens to most stolen content that's reposted elsewhere. The fact of the matter is that if OP sets terms of use for his work and someone violates them, then he can issue a takedown. The offending user doesn't even have to comply - it's up to the hosting company or ISP to take care of it. No lawyers need to be involved.

Creative Commons is a type of license used to allow use of content so long as credit is given, and is not a recommended license to use for software.

...Have you ever had to issue a DMCA takedown notice? I have.
SilverKytten
12/30/2015 7:07 pm
CaptainMuricaIf I post a picture on a website, people are able to download it. If I post an article online, people are able to download it. By your reasoning, I would not be able to pursue takedowns when others use my work.

The way that assumes they're 'using' it is putting it up on a separate website -- A server using a build is nothing like that. The only thing players can do is look at it. They can't take it and use it elsewhere. The person using it isn't making money off of it.

That being said --- If they were to try to redistribute the build, it would be enforceable, but still only just barely. You would need to get lawyers involved, if they refuse.

CaptainMuricaDMCA protections are not similar to a Creative Commons license, and if you think I and the research I've done are wrong, I would like you to prove it.

From what I understand, Creative Commons are actually broader than DMCA protections, though I could be confusing CC with something else.
anonpmc1231920
12/30/2015 3:28 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
[deleted]
guestds
12/30/2015 3:06 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
i think they mean nobody can use it in a public server but they want people to use it in a private server and if this is it then yes the public servers would have to ask for permission to use it if you want servers to do that but you cant stop them if they dont ask first if theyre a really small server but if theyre making money off it then thats illegal if they dont ask and get permission but its illegal if they dont pay you after you say they have to pay for something % of the income from your map on that server but only a max of 75% income or theyll ignore things you say
SilverKytten
12/30/2015 1:07 pm
That being said, you can post your project without a download, and give the download to people privately.
SilverKytten
12/30/2015 1:05 pm
You cannot. Not without having enough money to buy something more than a creative commons as well as a lawyer who will take action against anyone who goes against the copyright.

Unless you pay them to, the government literally does not give damn about your creation, and you can't enforce (or get) any kind of copyright that would prevent people from using your project without permission --- And even then, it would only apply to people in your country. Otherwise the laws around your copyright don't mean squat.
Leeberator
12/30/2015 2:55 pm
*Cough* DMCA *cough*
SilverKytten
12/30/2015 4:17 pm
"The DMCA law applies anytime that your own original work has been copied and uploaded elsewhere, or copied and adjusted to make it seem that someone else was the original creator."

Using something is not the same as claiming it is your own and redistributing it. Nothing can be done about someone using something that you put up on the internet, with a DMCA. You have to pay for that kind of protection and, like I said, it is still only valid in your own country. One country's laws do not apply to any others.
Leeberator
12/30/2015 4:45 pm
OP wants to prevent people from using his work for things like server spawns. If someone does that and gives him credit, there isn't much he can do. If someone uses it and doesn't give him credit, that is grounds for a takedown.

As far as geographical location goes, OP should be able to legally issue a takedown if either he or the offending party (or the host of the offending party) is in the US.
SilverKytten
12/30/2015 4:56 pm
Actually, no. That's not how that works. If you give people access to a download, that gives them the permission to use it for what it's meant to be used for. End of. Unless someone tries to redistribute his stuff, they're fine.

Also, again no. both parties have to be in the US, for US laws to apply to them.
Lead_Airplanes
01/01/2016 2:50 am
You keep saying that's only in the US. That's wrong. 168 countries have signed on to the Berne Convention, a document stating that what is copyrighted in any signatory country will be considered copyrighted in all signatory countries. In fact a lot of what you're saying is totally wrong.

OP, please read below:

There are a few basic rights of copyright: reproduce (make a copy), create a derivative work, distribute, perform in public, and display in public.

Since any artistic creation is copyrighted as soon as it is put into tangible form (written down, recorded, built, what have you), the OP DOES have copyright. However, without paying the L.O.C. fee, there is no record of this copyright, which can be a hassle if things come to a lawsuit.

So, you already have the copyright on your work. However, if you want to take it a step further, you can pay the L.O.C. to obtain an official certificate of copyright - which will take about 3-6 months to get.

My advice is post it and make it clear that while you distribute it, others may NOT distribute it, publicly display it, or create a derivative work of it. If you wish, you can specify that they may make a copy for personal use.

Source: entertainment management graduate with real life experience obtaining copyrights.
Leeberator
12/30/2015 5:09 pm
If he includes a disclaimer in his submission that states the terms of use of his work, he can legally file a DMCA takedown if those terms are not met. It's his content. He set the terms of use. He can respond when those terms are violated.

After looking into the matter further, it appears you can issue a DMCA takedown request to a foreign web host/ISP, but they would deal with the infringement based on their country's copyright laws (which should not be different than here in most of the western world).
Leeberator
12/30/2015 12:57 pm
THE MINECRAFT SAVAGE
12/30/2015 12:56 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
So, you want people to use your map yet you want them to ask permission? Lmao.
Kid, you need to get your stuff together. People aren't going to ask permission, it's the internet. And if you don't like that, then honestly you shouldn't be here.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome