Server Hosting - Cloud or Dedicated?

mikennar's Avatar mikennar11/9/16 11:51 am
1 emeralds 2.5k 5
11/11/2016 9:32 am
mikennar's Avatar mikennar
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on. It might be a basic question for some, but I'd appreciate any insight all the same!

Basically I'm considering setting up a server with some friends to use as our own sort of playground, where we can have it just the way we like it. There are about 10 of us 'core' members, but we'd also like to be able to open it up to more sometimes.

The thing is, we have no experience with running a server and it's a little daunting... I know we could use either a cloud or dedicated server, but have no real idea which is best for Minecraft! Can anyone help?
mikennar
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

mikennar
11/11/2016 9:32 am
Thanks Jortenmilo, that's really helpful! Sounds like a regular dedicated server could be a good compromise, assuming it comes with DDoS protection. That way I won't need another server in addition.
Jortenmilo
11/10/2016 9:19 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
It won't be a lot of CPU usage but it will need a lot of RAM. But if you have the money you should host a server somewhere else. In general a dedicated "root" server costs a lot more than a regular dedicated server. The idea of a "root" server is that it is a online desktop you can access. But a regular server has an easier interface and is a lot less expensive.

I don't know whether 10+ would be considered particularly large

No, that's not a lot. You should stick with selfhosting or searching for a regular mc server host.

I don't know much about DDoS, how could I protect against that?

Most hosts have DDoS protection, but if you're going to host the server yourself, you will need another server with a lot of bandwidth, if you really want that DDoS protection. You don't need it though since the chance of getting DDossed is really small. Here is a fun site with all current DDoS attacks: http://map.norsecorp.com
mikennar
11/10/2016 4:31 am
Thanks for your responses guys! By hosting it myself, do you mean on my own computer? I didn't really consider that to be honest, wouldn't that require a lot of computational power and space? I had a little look into renting a dedicated server, which I assume means it will be hosted somewhere else. This guide to dedicated Minecraft servers looks pretty promising, as far as I can tell: https://www.1and1.co.uk/digitalguide/server/know-how/setting-up-a-minecraft-server-with-a-dedicated-server/

Do you think it would be really worth going down this route for the size of server we're after though? I mean, it says it's a good option for "large numbers of players", but I don't know whether 10+ would be considered particularly large. Perhaps I could cover that if I hosted myself?

I don't know much about DDoS, how could I protect against that?
raidarr
11/09/2016 10:45 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
If you want to spend the money/resources to host it yourself, have at it. The only real drawback I'd see to a dedicated server on MC that isn't for the general public would be DDoS protection, something which I'm not sure matters in your case.

Performance wise there isn't much of a difference.

I might be off in this answer, knowing the answer to the above poster's question would help.
Jortenmilo
11/09/2016 11:59 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Do you want to host the server yourself or are you planning to host the server somewhere else?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome