Should I make a minecraft server?

TheSirryan's Avatar TheSirryan12/12/16 12:18 pm
1 emeralds 108 1
12/12/2016 3:35 pm
raidarr's Avatar raidarr
I've always wanted to do it and recently i've been motivated to make it happen, with the holidays coming up I have a way of paying for the server. I've done a lot of research of which hosting service I want and done some research on plugins and how to run a server well. Although I don't know how my server will succeed I have a unique idea but I don't know if the community would like it. The server map I have been making got corrupted and I lost about 20+ hours of work should I keep working towards my server?
TheSirryan
Level 1 : New Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

raidarr
12/12/2016 3:35 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
There are two broad ways of making a server. While I like to think one is more successful than the other, the reality is that you must realize success is only about half the result of what you put in; the other half is pretty accurately summarized with a coin toss. Mineplex or Hypixel popularity is like landing on the edge of the coin on a flat stone surface.

The first way, throw a downloaded spawn in, slap a few plugins together, read a guide about owning a server and releasing it with a "need staff" PMC recruitment post in the expectation that the community will do whatever extra needs doing. This is the common way, the easy way, and it seems not your way. Still, realize you'll be contending against thousands of these, including many that are opening at the same time to drown whatever you're putting together.

The other way isn't easy, and you shouldn't hold the misconception that it will ever will be. Time, work and money to result in something unique, decent... and something that might still fail without making a blip on the map.

Here's how I look at it: If you want to do it and get something from it, do it. Don't operate on the expectations of others, people are far too fickle for that. You'll probably lose 20+ hours of work many times over. Only you can decide if it's worth your investment. Will making a server give you a job? Will it get you skills? Will it be something you would want to play on over other servers? That's up to you.

If you like it, do it, but start by asking yourself and exhausting all angles before heading too far. And once you start, don't stop. Finishing something, however pointless it might end up seeming along the way, can be quite the feeling in the end.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome