What is a 8x by 8x texturepack isn't completed

ryancat101's Avatar ryancat1013/19/14 7:24 pm
3/19/2014 8:27 pm
ryancat101's Avatar ryancat101
ok so im making a 8x by 8x texturepack but when i release it some of the block will still be 16x by 16x because i haven't edited them yet...will it still be a 8x by 8x or is it even allowed?
ryancat101
Level 36 : Artisan Turtle

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Paril
03/19/2014 8:24 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
You can use templates and whatnot, but you need to remove any files that aren't yours prior to uploading. This is standard practice - why upload a 30 MB pack if you've only changed ~2 MB? Also, it breaks resource pack standards of mixing & matching.
ryancat101
03/19/2014 8:27 pm
...wow...ok i guess i can see what your saying...well the rules are the rules....i guess im going to have to fix my texturepack real quick..
ryancat101
03/19/2014 8:24 pm
pastrypuncher
ryancat101
wait so do i have to delete them and then make my own template...

Just make a second texture pack that you will be uploading and only put your textures in it. Be sure you rename your current one yourCurrentName_progress or something, so that you don't confuse them and accidentally upload the wrong one.

I highly doubt mojang will care if you use their default pack as a personal template, just don't redistribute it.

thats really smart!thx!
ryancat101
03/19/2014 8:23 pm
Azie
ryancat101

Yes, you need to delete them. You cannot include them in your pack.

... well....so that means the texturepack i have now is i guess you can say braking the rules....because it still has those files....
pastrypuncher
03/19/2014 8:22 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
ryancat101

Just make a second texture pack that you will be uploading and only put your textures in it. Be sure you rename your current one yourCurrentName_progress or something, so that you don't confuse them and accidentally upload the wrong one.

I highly doubt mojang will care if you use their default pack as a personal template, just don't redistribute it.
Azie
03/19/2014 8:21 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
ryancat101

Yes, you need to delete them. You cannot include them in your pack.
ryancat101
03/19/2014 8:20 pm
Azie
ryancat101
so how i started was i took the correct files out of the minecraft jar so it has all the default textures in there.... would those be considered place holders?

Yes, those are placeholders.

Azie
03/19/2014 8:18 pm
ryancat101
so how i started was i took the correct files out of the minecraft jar so it has all the default textures in there.... would those be considered place holders?

Yes, those are placeholders.
ryancat101
03/19/2014 8:15 pm
Azie
ryancat101
ok so the real question is am i allowed to still have some of the textures not done (so it will be the default texture) and have my textures that i have done (which will be a 8x by 8x)...is that allowed?

Yes, you're allowed to have some textures unfinished. This would mean you're uploading an unfinished/WIP/incomplete pack.

As long as you don't include copies of the default textures in your texture pack zip file, as these would be considered placeholders, that's fine. Minecraft will fill in missing textures for you without having to include copies of the default textures in your pack.

Azie
03/19/2014 8:13 pm
ryancat101
ok so the real question is am i allowed to still have some of the textures not done (so it will be the default texture) and have my textures that i have done (which will be a 8x by 8x)...is that allowed?

Yes, you're allowed to have some textures unfinished. This would mean you're uploading an unfinished/WIP/incomplete pack.

As long as you don't include copies of the default textures in your texture pack zip file, as these would be considered placeholders, that's fine. Minecraft will fill in missing textures for you without having to include copies of the default textures in your pack.
ryancat101
03/19/2014 8:11 pm
Azie
ryancat101
so i have to complete the texturepack in order to post it if its a 8x by 8x and some blocks are a 16x by 16x?

No, you can post incomplete texture packs... :I

If the 16x16 textures are yours and not someone else's or default textures, you could include them. You can't include someone else's textures or default textures as placeholders for textures you have not yet created.

Azie
03/19/2014 8:06 pm
ryancat101
so i have to complete the texturepack in order to post it if its a 8x by 8x and some blocks are a 16x by 16x?

No, you can post incomplete texture packs... :I

If the 16x16 textures are yours and not someone else's or default textures, you could include them. You can't include someone else's textures or default textures as placeholders for textures you have not yet created.
ryancat101
03/19/2014 8:03 pm
Azie
ryancat101
ok and another question... lets say i have some blocks that are 8x by 8x but more blocks that are 16x by 16x but the 16x by 16x blocks are the default textures then will it be called a 8x by 8x texturepack or a 16x by 16x texturepack?

You can't include those default textures. They are considered place-holders and place-holders are not allowed.

Azie
03/19/2014 7:58 pm
ryancat101
ok and another question... lets say i have some blocks that are 8x by 8x but more blocks that are 16x by 16x but the 16x by 16x blocks are the default textures then will it be called a 8x by 8x texturepack or a 16x by 16x texturepack?

You can't include those default textures. They are considered place-holders and place-holders are not allowed.
Azie
03/19/2014 7:52 pm
As long as you're updating the pack, you can update in whatever size updates you want. You don't have to finish it all in two sittings. One day you could upload about half the pack as your initial upload and then through the course of the next few months you could do several updates if that's what you needed, until it was complete.
ryancat101
03/19/2014 7:55 pm
ryancat101
03/19/2014 7:49 pm
Azie
ryancat101
ok so its not allowed to still have the other blocks waiting to be retextured from the default minecraft?

That's not it at all. You're allowed to upload an unfinished pack you intend to finish later.

What you can't do is include textures to fill in for the ones you haven't made yet. Say I upload a texture pack that has only a few textures completed. One of the textures I don't have done is the grass texture. When I load this pack in Minecraft, Minecraft will see that I didn't include a grass texture and load the default grass texture for me, even if that default texture file is not included in my pack as a placeholder.

ok so you are allowed to finish it later?and if you are then does it have to be completely done when you finish... so like i dont have to do everything retextured just a descent amount?
Azie
03/19/2014 7:44 pm
ryancat101
ok so its not allowed to still have the other blocks waiting to be retextured from the default minecraft?

That's not it at all. You're allowed to upload an unfinished pack you intend to finish later.

What you can't do is include textures to fill in for the ones you haven't made yet. Say I upload a texture pack that has only a few textures completed. One of the textures I don't have done is the grass texture. When I load this pack in Minecraft, Minecraft will see that I didn't include a grass texture and load the default grass texture for me, even if that default texture file is not included in my pack as a placeholder.
ryancat101
03/19/2014 7:41 pm
Azie
ryancat101
Aziewww.planetminecraft.com/rules/#placeholders

Do not include placeholders for textures you have not created.

so basically what this is say is that i cant use other textures i didn't create on my texturepack?also whats another word for a placeholder file?

It means don't include textures you didn't create in the stead of textures you plan on creating, yes. This includes default Minecraft textures as well. Just create and upload the textures you create as you go and Minecraft will fill in the missing ones for you. Also, with the way texture packs now work and the load order/priority system, I could load a pack like Vattic's Faithful under your texture pack and it would will missing textures you haven't created.

ryancat101
03/19/2014 7:38 pm
bail97
ryancat101

so basically what this is say is that i cant use other textures i didn't create on my texturepack?

Yes you need to have all the materials original because of the new texturepack format

ok lets say i make a new texture for stone that is a 8x by 8x and the other blocks are still 16x by 16x would it be allowed?of course more blocks changed but im sure you know what i mean...
Azie
03/19/2014 7:36 pm
ryancat101

so basically what this is say is that i cant use other textures i didn't create on my texturepack?also whats another word for a placeholder file?

It means don't include textures you didn't create in the stead of textures you plan on creating, yes. This includes default Minecraft textures as well. Just create and upload the textures you create as you go and Minecraft will fill in the missing ones for you. Also, with the way texture packs now work and the load order/priority system, I could load a pack like Vattic's Faithful under your texture pack and it would will missing textures you haven't created.
G0dlyCheese
03/19/2014 7:36 pm
Level 48 : Master Pegasus

Basically, this. Always listen to mods.
Jdsgames
03/19/2014 7:34 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
ryancat101

so basically what this is say is that i cant use other textures i didn't create on my texturepack?

Yes you need to have all the materials original because of the new texturepack format
ryancat101
03/19/2014 7:33 pm

Azie
03/19/2014 7:30 pm
http://www.planetminecraft.com/rules/#placeholders

argentum alae
03/19/2014 7:29 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragon
It's fine. The rules just updated for what size your textures can be. If the majority are 8x it should probably remain an 8x. It's also fine to mix texture sizes although the pack can look a little off with them sometimes. Hope I answered your questions.
ryancat101
03/19/2014 7:42 pm
so is this guy right about what he said?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome