Would this be okay and legal?

DaRealDeal25's Avatar DaRealDeal253/13/14 10:31 pm
3/14/2014 4:31 pm
Dinodaw's Avatar Dinodaw
Hello, I have an idea of copying and pasting real stories into books in minecraft and putting the books in a library on my server. Here are my questions:

1. Would it be legal to copy and paste real published books into a minecraft book, and giving credit to the author of course?

2. Would it be okay to copy and paste into a minecraft book stories from planet minecraft (still giving credit to the real author)?

Please let me know, thanks in advance.
DaRealDeal25
Level 19 : Journeyman Taco

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/14/2014 4:31 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Dinodaw
As long as you are not passing the off on your own, or selling them it should be fine.

Maybe.
03/14/2014 4:27 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Insanity
if its just in a private singleplayer server, its probably fine. if you are putting it on a multiplayer server you might have problems.
03/14/2014 4:26 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
KryptonicPM
If you are not making money off of it then it is legal but if you are then that is copyright. But they won't really care if you do or don't.
03/14/2014 4:14 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
Z645
Usually. When you want to use something. You give copyright to the respectful owner. And no modifications to the items you're copying. Otherwise you can be sued.
03/14/2014 4:12 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Goblin
devilcupcakes
In the very front of a book there's some info about when it was published and who it was published by and things like that, and there's also a bit that will say something like "No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of the publisher." (That was in the front of The Hunger Games. I looked at several other books and they said basically the same thing.)
You can probably do stories from PMC with permission from the person who wrote it.
03/14/2014 4:23 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
^^
This.
Doing anything like you want to would be a direct breaking of the law, unless the book is public domain.
Even if you "Don't get caught," it's still illegal, and shouldn't be done. Seeing what people have said on this thread concerns me greatly.
03/14/2014 4:08 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Pokemon
Nevin
Id do it and give them credit. If anyone comes to get you after that then it just gives you the opportunity to point out why the greater majority right books in the first place {money}.

Come to think about it. They might not even care unless your rich
03/14/2014 4:06 pm
Level 24 : Expert Fish
sualeos
I agree, it's just a video game so i don't think it matters at all.

Even if it did, what are the chances you would get "caught" for that?
03/14/2014 4:02 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
kogan007
If your just putting this into a book in the game, then I don't think it matters at all.
03/14/2014 4:03 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
I would have to agree with this guy.
03/14/2014 3:58 pm
DeathForge
DaRealDeal25Hello, I have an idea of copying and pasting real stories into books in minecraft and putting the books in a library on my server. Here are my questions:

1. Would it be legal to copy and paste real published books into a minecraft book, and giving credit to the author of course?

2. Would it be okay to copy and paste into a minecraft book stories from planet minecraft (still giving credit to the real author)?

Well, depends on your country, it is illegal in most first world countries, although I honestly don't believe you would be arrested for this, but if you have morals...lol anyway no it isn't legal.
For more info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism
03/13/2014 10:40 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
Copying word for word the contents of books is considered plagiarism and is illegal.
03/13/2014 10:40 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
ChrisL
For planetminecraft stories the author would have to give you permission, but actual authors won't do that so you could only use public domain books (anything on Project Gutenberg).
03/13/2014 10:35 pm
gabepizzolatohmb
I think that this would not be legal because you would have to have a copyright but I think that you would be in no legal trouble if you did it either. But I am no expert at this just my opinion.
03/13/2014 10:34 pm
Level 28 : Expert Toast
markandminecraft
DaRealDeal25Hello, I have an idea of copying and pasting real stories into books in minecraft and putting the books in a library on my server. Here are my questions:

You can't do either without the author's permission it. You can probably get permission from PMC members, But from real published books, I don't think so.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome