DATA PACK TUTORIAL || What's next?add_box

Bertiecrafter's Avatar Bertiecrafter12/31/20 9:56 am history
6/10/2021 9:15 am
Flashbulb's Avatar Flashbulb
So I have a data pack tutorial series on here and most if not all of the command magic is covered. Recently I also finished covering the other JSON files. I have a few ideas on what to do next, but I'd like to have your input. These are the options I already have in mind:

• Q & A: Self-explanatory, but the questions should be directed towards core concepts. The questions should have answers that can be applied in various situations, so I won't be answering questions like "How do I create this mob that does ####, with this item that does #### when dropped?"
  • Structure Blocks: The last type of file in a data pack that I haven't covered yet.
  • Jigsaw Blocks: Used to generate several attached structures in random fashion (like villages, dungeons, cities, fortresses, etc). Cannot be interacted with from within a data pack
  • Resource Packs: I won't be covering how to make models or textures, but mainly explain the core concept of creating a resource pack and how they can be used with data packs.
  • Looping/Recursion: What if you want to repeat a certain command a certain number of times or until a condition is met? I'll tell you how.

If you have any other ideas, tell me in the comments below what you would like to see!

I'll release a poll after I've collected enough ideas. Otherwise it just keeps resetting when adding options.
Bertiecrafter
Retired Moderator
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/10/2021 9:15 am
Level 47 : Master Fish
Flashbulb
I learned how to use jigsaw blocks by just looking at a data pack that used them, but a looping/recursion tutorial would be helpful.
01/02/2021 4:22 pmhistory
Bertiecrafter
MASTRIO Chimerabot Beatso Suspicious Stoo Dang it! You can't trigger jigsaw blocks with redstone or commands (yet?). So unfortunately it isn't an option for the tutorial series. A very helpful tutorial on manually using jigsaw blocks by Talon2863:

How to Use Jigsaw Blocks to make Custom Randomly Generated Structures - YouTube
01/03/2021 11:50 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Goblin
MASTRIO
#sad
01/02/2021 5:16 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Llama
Suspicious Stoo
Doosie of a block. Thanks for giving it a try though, and thanks for the link!
01/02/2021 10:09 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Goblin
MASTRIO
Yes please jigsaw tutorial!
01/01/2021 5:32 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Theorist
Chimerabot
Now that I think about it, I think jigsaw blocks would be a really cool tutorial. Villages and towns are awesome.
12/31/2020 1:30 pm
Bertiecrafter
Suspicious Stoo Beatso Chimerabot I can't actually see who voted, but I'm going to assume all of you did. I added the Jigsaw block option and all votes reset (even though the warning said I could), so pls revote =)
12/31/2020 1:42 pm
Bertiecrafter
Actually.... I'll do the poll later when I have the definitive list of options. Because I kept resetting it hahaha
12/31/2020 11:58 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Llama
Suspicious Stoo
There's surprisingly little documentation out there about jigsaw blocks, the best vid probably being Gnembon's 40min town generator. That could be a really interesting topic for a tutorial!
12/31/2020 1:28 pm
Bertiecrafter
Looking further into it, apparently jigsaw blocks aren't structure blocks. I'll probably end up combining them anyways, but just vote for the dedicated option I added just in case.
12/31/2020 1:18 pmhistory
Bertiecrafter
To be honest, this has been baffling me too and I kinda put it aside because I didn't want to get my brains tangled up. Buuuuut it still kinda intrigues me to try and understand them, so yeah it's a worthy contender at the very least. =)
12/31/2020 12:35 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Blueberry
Beatso
yessss
12/31/2020 10:07 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Theorist
Chimerabot
A tutorial on transferring NBT data from, for example, a dropper to a chest would be nice. I can see a lot of applications for it but never really had the guts to try it out in a data pack.
12/31/2020 1:38 pmhistory
Bertiecrafter
I already mentioned the /data syntax that allows copying data in Part 9.3, but I'm going to count this as looping/recursion and will add it to the poll.

EDIT: For this specific use case though, a simple "/data modify block <x> <y> <z> Items set from block <x> <y> <z> Items" will do. It's just that all items on the dropper will appear on the first row of the chest and it won't work backwards.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome