Nether Star Duping 2.0 is already coming out! But I need help...question_answer

Sul4ur's Avatar Sul4ur11/1/23 1:34 pm history
3 emeralds 184 9
11/2/2023 6:08 am
Sul4ur's Avatar Sul4ur
So I made this data pack called "Nether Star Duping" where you throw a nether star on top of an obsidian, and another item and boom! the nether star will turn into the item, which will result in a duplication and since nether stars are renewable, this will make all items (except for a few items like dragon eggs, shulker boxes and wither skulls(upcoming)) renewable.

However, this all has one problem: The fact that you have to throw it on top of an obsidian is just too boring and basic. Most data packs come with multiple blocks (aka structures). so why not make a better setup like them?

That's why I posted this forum. I can't seem to find a good setup to use. Here is the best I've got so far: View
In this setup, you have to put the nether star and the item inside the hopper. However, the question is how will you activate it? I thought maybe by exploding these crystals, but it is hard to detect these crystals explosions.

So any of you got any ideas? Remember, the setup needs to include at least one entity and if I liked someone's idea, I will give them a credit in the update!
Sul4ur
Level 31 : Artisan Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

CrownDeluxe
11/01/2023 2:13 pm
Level 43 : Master Lemon
strike the nether star item with lightning, and then it'll "charge", drag and drop it over an item, and bam! it turns into that item
Sul4ur
11/01/2023 2:33 pm
That sounds cool, but nether stars get destroyed by lightnings, which makes it harder to code...
I'll try it out. That was a nice one.
CrownDeluxe
11/01/2023 4:26 pm
Level 43 : Master Lemon
thanks!i think it gives the feature a cooler feel
ScotsMiser
11/01/2023 2:12 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
history
Simplest would be to detect a change in state from powered to unpowered (or vice versa) of the hopper since the "eneabled" block state of a hopper changes correspondingly. q.v. https://minecraft.wiki/w/Hopper#Block_states

I don't see why you're planning to make this not work for wither skeleton skulls…
It takes three skulls to make a wither... which drops 1 nether star: if someone wants turn turn it back into 1 skull, it would be their loss.
Sul4ur
11/01/2023 2:31 pm
history
That would also be too basic...
Also, this data pack doubles the items, not add one!
ScotsMiser
11/01/2023 2:47 pm
Perhaps I'm missing something:

Working from your description the following occurs: {NS = nether star, WS = wither skelton skull}

Inventory      top of Obsidian
1 NS + 1 WS       >nothing<
1 NS            1 WS
>nothing<       1 NS + 1 WS
    duplication event
>nothing<         2 WS
                this represents a gain of 1 WS at the cost of 1NS

Interesting idea in any case as the cost (building a witherskull farm and then farming withers) is high enough to put some reasonable limits on the duplicating…
Sul4ur
11/01/2023 2:52 pm
history
It doesn't need to be a single item. you can throw 64 items and duplicate all 64 of them with a single nether star.
It even duplicates the nbt tags of the items, so that you can't get illegal items like empty enchanted books or uncraftable potions.
ScotsMiser
11/01/2023 3:15 pm
AH!

that's the point I was missing.

I was looking at https://minecraft.wiki/w/Non-renewable_resource:
Sand, gravel, cobwebs, coral blocks, and the like by the stack don't stike me as upsetting the game (I think these are actually poor choices for non-renewables)
[I don't consider anything 'renewable' only via the wandering trader as being meaningfully renewable.]

Duplicating Enchanted Golden Apples & Heart of the Sea (each of which stack to 64 ) by the stack does seem somewhat overpowered (Also maybe Blue Ice?). (The Echo Shard and Recovery Compass don't strike me as sufficiently useful to matter.)
Edit: Nether Stars stack to 64, which opens the possibility of using 1NS to duplicate a stack of NS at a time — this could be seen as a bit OP

As 'added value' (and assuming t is possible to do this), you might consider adding the ability for the end user to set the maximum number of items a single nether star would duplicate in a single event.

The rest of the non-renewable/wandering trader items seem either inoccuous (e.g. music discs/ potsherds) or easier to obtain by other means.
Sul4ur
11/02/2023 6:08 am
history
Just like I said, there are some exceptions. Nether stars are one of them.
The others are:
Shulker boxes and bundles (so that you don't just put the exception items inside)

Adding a config to set the maximum amount of an item is actually a good idea. I may add it in the future update.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome