Shipwrecks - Can Max Height be Specified?

Rainbeau_Flambe's Avatar Rainbeau_Flambe9/30/20 3:13 pm
3 emeralds 118 5
10/9/2020 11:51 pm
Rainbeau_Flambe's Avatar Rainbeau_Flambe
Another minor issue comes to mind....

For many of structures/features that can be included in a biome, it's possible to define the elevation ("y" level) at which they can appear. And most of the rest only appear on the land's surface, so being able to define elevation isn't relevant.

Shipwrecks seem to be an exception.

Does anyone know if there's a way I've missed to specify a max elevation at which shipwrecks should generate?

In vanilla, it doesn't seem to matter, but in "Sky Islands," I end up with a fair number of shipwrecks floating in the air. Now, in a sky full of floating islands, a few floating shipwrecks aren't entirely unreasonable, which is why I haven't much worried about it, but if I *could* make sure all the shipwrecks were actually in the water, I'd be happier. :D
Rainbeau_Flambe
Level 58 : Grandmaster Terraformer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/09/2020 1:26 pmhistory
Level 56 : Grandmaster Llama
Suspicious Stoo
What happens when you try setting "is_beached" to false?

Also, I'm curious about how you can specify the elevation for structures! That's not something I thought was possible, I'd love to use it for a future pack.
10/09/2020 1:53 pm
Rainbeau_Flambe
(A lot of structures seem to be based on heightmaps. Certainly, that seems to be how villages are placed, which is why you get weird villages in "Sky Islands" which look just fine from above, but actually exist on multiple levels sometimes separated by dozens of blocks of elevation, in arrangements which make no sense except inasmuch as the game is acting like the surface they're placed on is a level plain. The villages don't actually bother me much, though, as the often bizarre results, in my mind, at least, help to sell the "world shattered by a cataclysm" idea. What *does* bother me is that trees and plants, and also terrain patches, are placed based on heightmaps, which means that when you have a large area of the top of one island positioned under another island, that surface area tends to be default surface material, usually grass, with no decoration or variation.)
10/09/2020 1:45 pm
Rainbeau_Flambe
The "is_beached" thing might be worth looking into. I'm not sure it would actually provide a viable solution -- at a guess, I'd assume it sets shipwrecks to only appear on "coasts" where water and dry land meet, which wouldn't be terribly useful in "Sky Islands" -- but I should probably at least figure out exactly what it is that the option does.

As to the other point, I'm afraid I was just a bit loose in my phrasing originally. I don't think it's actually possible to specify elevations for any of the default structures. Shipwrecks just happen to be the only structures for which I *wanted* to specify elevation, so the inability to do so with other structures wasn't on my mind.
10/09/2020 1:47 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Llama
Suspicious Stoo
Ah, that's a shame. Fingers crossed for your shipwreck problem
10/09/2020 11:51 pm
Rainbeau_Flambe
Well, I've done some checking, and I think I've figured out what the "is_beached" setting does. If it's set false, the shipwreck will generate up to a certain level above the ocean floor, which in vanilla oceans *usually* means the shipwreck is underwater, even if not sunken all the way to the bottom of the sea, but which in "Sky Islands" often results in wrecks floating in mid-air. But if "is_beached" is set true, the placement is based on the heightmap (as discussed above in reference to other structures), which is to say, the highest land at any given location, or if there is no dry land, then sea level. This means that shipwrecks will never generate in midair, but will often be "imbedded" in floating islands. But it also means that they won't ever generate completely underwater, either. There will be wrecks "floating" on or just barely beneath the surface of the ocean, but none on the ocean floor.

I'm honestly not sure which of those options I prefer.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome