A Lost Mob Revamp: Mob Awaves

Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum11/29/23 8:02 pm
3 emeralds 148 5
11/30/2023 5:36 pm
Team UNNAMED's Avatar Team UNNAMED
Mob A, also known as the Barnacle, was one of the mobs I would've picked in the very first Mob Vote ever held. Unfortunately the Phantom won and I couldn't vote as voting wasn't available on the launcher and website at the time.

I'm sure some of us would've wanted all of the mobs, or more than one of them, to be added. I've heard arguments against Mob A like:

- "Barnacle" is a stupid name. I agree, but how would you know if that name would've stayed if Mob A was added? Remember when the Ravager used to be called the "Illager Beast?" That name got changed, didn't it?

- An underwater mob that pulls you underwater sounds too annoying and hard. That's just a crybaby's argument. Minecraft can't be too easy either. Oceans are ruthless, man. You'd think an air-breathing human would face more dangers on the waves than just the risk of sinking and a bunch of underwater clones of zombies. Oceans are full of some scary looking predators, and since Mojang is too environmentally stupid to add sharks, Mob A would've been a great placeholder.

To address some of these issues, I have a few ideas to "revamp" Mob A as stated in the title of this thread. I'd like to hear what other names you'd think would be better than the "Barnacle", but for me, I'd call it "The Jawnapper".

As for the mob's attack, I don't think it should grab the player with its tongue, as escaping its grip would be a hard topic without breaking existing game mechanics. Instead, the long tongue could be an animation that the Jawnapper has for catching and eating salmon, cod, and pufferfish (like frogs eating slimes). The Jawnapper could then catch bigger prey like the player by opening its jaws and creating a whirlpool that acts like a magma-powered bubble column, sucking the target into its mouth. Like a bubble column, the player could escape the whirlpool if they swim in the right direction, and fight back.
Dermugettum
Level 22 : Expert Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Team UNNAMED
11/30/2023 5:36 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Creeper
e
OrderWithoutBorders
11/30/2023 3:32 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
Magma blocks do the same thing.
Dermugettum
11/30/2023 5:12 pm
history
Well, duh. I already said that in my post to explain how it would work. What's your point?
ScotsMiser
11/30/2023 10:58 am
Level 38 : Artisan Miner
Just from the limited description yo've posted you've improved on what MS/Mj teased.
Interesting idea 🍻

Some questions:
Would the JN be sessile?
  If not, how would it move? [I'm interested in the places to which it could move, how fast, and how often, not the means of locomotion. ]
EDIT: if it can move (at least if it can do so while generating a bubble column-like effect) I can see some issues with lag due to the bubble column generation/removal and with it's being able to attack only directly above itself

Where does it spawn? [color=#2b3e50][Biome[s], light level, Y-value, etc.][/color]
[color=#3598db]EDIT: given the fish spawning rules " fish can spawn inside a water block at Y-level 50 to 63, that also has water above and below it" it would either need a very long reach, or to spawn fairly close to these levels[/color]

Is it persistant?
  If not, does it follow the standard despawn rules?

Does a JN die in air (as does a squid)?

How far above a JN would a player be attackable?
  What about players in boats? …standing on lilypads (or blocks)?

What if anything does it drop when killed?
  Does its consuming fish produce anything? [color=#2b3e50][Given that fish are 'bucketable', a useful drop when consumed by a JN would provide an interesting farming opportunity. This would be especially true if the JN characteristics required farming where found à la amethyst][/color]
[hr]

While it depends somewhat on the various answers to the above, I think the JN would need a more direct atteck when the player is (or has been sucked) near to the JN. Magma block damage is both light and slow enough that it is unlikely to provide much of a challenge (particularly once the player has anything beyond early game gear).
This would be particularly true if the JN can be attacked other than directly into its maw. [color=#2b3e50][Standing in an air pocket and hitting the side of the critter (even if one had to dig out a block or two to expose it) would seem to afford the JN no opportunity to reply if the whirlpool was its only anti-player attack. ][/color]
Dermugettum
11/30/2023 2:46 pm
history
Good questions. I did forget about some of those details which I have thought of before posting this.

The Jawnapper could spawn in Deep Oceans, both regular and cold variants. Yes, it would despawn like most hostile mobs, and though I'm not familiar enough with despawning rules, I'd say they should have a local spawn limit of 1 as they are solitary predators. They are mobile, and will stay close to the depths of the ocean, coming up to catch fish or players that it detects overhead, and its player-detection range would only span about from where it is hunting fish to the surface. That way, players can spot them easier before getting caught.

When creating a whirlpool, the Jawnapper will stay in one place, like how Guardians behave when shooting eye-lasers. A secondary attack it could have for griefing players would be an ink cloud and retreat, and the ink gives the player 7 seconds of the Blindness effect. They will die in air.

I haven't thought of what the Jawnapper could drop. Mob drops are always tricky to come up with when keeping gameplay in mind. The fish farming idea sounds cool.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome