Another Reason to NOT Vote for a Mobnot_interested

Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum10/4/23 3:58 pm
9 emeralds 325 8
10/5/2023 1:55 pm
Dermugettum's Avatar Dermugettum
Ever heard the phrase "Show, don't tell"?

This isn't just a rule for writers and artists, but something Mojang needs to do with their Mob Votes if they're going to continue tormenting the community with them. How are they breaking this rule? And how does this ruin the vote? Let me explain.

The reveal trailers with tiny Jens and Agnes show how the mobs "look", but it's not how they would look in Minecraft. The art styles are completely different. Pretty obvious, right? Well, here's the real problem. When they reveal the mob that the mob can do stuff like "dig up ancient seeds", "find items for the player", or "give the player enchanted items after a game of hide and seek", most times they never show it in action. Or, if the mob adds a new item to the game, they never explain what use the new item has. That's how we got stuck with a sniffer who gives us nothing but garbage seeds that breed sniffers like a plague.

What Mojang needs to do is to cut to images and clips of concept art made for each mob and the stuff that comes with them. They've got to stop making mob reveal trailers that are nothing more than corny little animations made for 6-yr-old players who, by the way, are not legally allowed to vote in real world elections for good reasons. Mojang could even release development footage of those mobs in beta game. How else would you explain the snapshots they release so soon after a Minecraft Live event? Of course they've worked on the mobs before considering them for vote. Just look at the unjustly cancelled firefly.

If you don't believe a word of this and think your bright and sunny imagination is enough to make a wise vote, then go ahead. I don't care about losing the vote because I'm not voting and don't care. Every year has taught me that the Mob Vote is a hopeless sham where only the drooling, impulsive hive-mind of players get what they want. Really the only part of Minecraft Live that is any good is the update announcement, so that's all I'm watching.
Dermugettum
Level 22 : Expert Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

JoeEnderman
10/05/2023 5:19 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Creeper Hugger
If they did this then people would be mad that "finished" mobs were cut for no reason other than a vote. Which they would be mostly right on Java Edition. Bedrock is a little harder to get stuff bugfixed.
Dermugettum
10/05/2023 1:49 pm
They're already upset about losing mobs that don't have much details about them. At least with more info, votes made by the community couldn't be as bad.
88MustangGT
10/05/2023 2:51 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Network
history
I agree. They need to show what the mob does, what it drops etc. Just saying hey which one you think looks cooler doesn't do anything for me. I want to see how the mob functions before i vote for it, hence why i've never voted for a mob.

EDIT: made a whoopsie of a typo
YokaiS
10/05/2023 2:16 am
He/Him • Level 61 : High Grandmaster Senpai Peacock
Personally I feel that the animations they release at this time each year is very visually pleasing, and though the style is different, you start to imagine yourself how it might end up looking in game. You've never seen anything like the armadillo or the crab in vanilla before, but it's going to be. I don't care much about the results but the animations really hype me up! And idk about you but i rlly like how all the mob vote mob designs came out to be in the game

I doubt they work on each vote mob beforehand... Last year the sniffer was announced on October, and the first in-game reveal was in mid-January. The fireflies they showed were likely very early development and was probably simply particles being shown around the frog.

You do have a point that they could be more specific with what the mob would bring to the table, I was definitely hoping for more seeds from the sniffer lol. The way they present it overall though is a fun way to make the community excited once a year for the big event

I'd like to remind you to show sympathy for the hardworking people behind the game; it's not easy to make one, and it's especially hard to keep building off of one game that's like 12 years old now
Dermugettum
10/05/2023 1:55 pm
The reveals just feel like more effort is put into the animation than actually thinking about what the viewers should know before making a vote. The problem is not that the art style is different, it's that it seems to distract from taking the vote seriously enough for the game's own good.

They didn't show how the crab claw would work in the player's inventory, didn't show what wolf armor would look like, nor did they show how penguins speeding up boats would work. Just leaving it to a flashy animation and some hapless viewer's imagination to make an informed decision is a terrible way to run a vote.
ScotsMiser
10/04/2023 11:20 pm
Level 40 : Master Miner
history
Tilting at a windmill, I fear…
but a valient effort taken in hopes of benefiting the player community none-the-less :cheers:

(Personally, I'd be happy to skip the animations and settle for a wiki style write-up of each…)

EDIT: spelling
Dermugettum
10/05/2023 1:03 am
Benefiring? What?
ScotsMiser
10/05/2023 2:25 am
Level 40 : Master Miner
Thx for proofreading: typing has never been one of my 'best things'

Should have been 'benefiting'
Planet Minecraft

Website