Are you still using OptiFine or... are you moving on?settings

ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser12/13/23 9:36 pm history
1/14/2024 11:11 pm
person_02's Avatar person_02
Hi gang!

Well... the other day I finally came around to scratching off an item of my Minecraft "bucket list": installing a Forge server to see how well that would work. Well, so far I'm very pleased with the results. If you're interested; here's more on that. Because of this I figured that I should also look into the visuals of my Minecraft setup; I've been using Depixel as my main resourcepack for quite a while now but... it only supports 1.20. It works on 1.20.1 but it's not ideal. So I went looking for something else.

After I sorted that out I decided to look into shaders; don't laugh but I've been playing Minecraft for a very long time now yet never messed with shaders so far. I ended up with this:

my_redstone_world
My Redstone world...

What you see here is the CreatorPack resourcepack with the Sildur vibrant shader active. Each to their own, but I'm very satisfied with the results so far. I definitely need to get used to actually seeing shadows appear in my world ;)

So then I wondered how things would look on my favorite public server, but suddeny I ran into a problem... See, I was still using 1.20.1 while this server had already moved onto 1.20.2 so I couldn't log on! So now I had a dilemma: OptiFine, it only supports 1.20.1 so far, not 1.20.2. Which isn't too big of a deal for me but... I really don't want to play Minecraft without dynamic lights anymore.

You know: if you hold a lightsource such as a torch then the area around you will light up a bit, so that you can use that as a bit of a flashlight.

I started looking around and lo and behold... suddenly I came across Iris Shaders; a shader mod which relies on Fabric as its main modloader, as well as Sodium for shader support. Because I had a recent backup of my computer I saw no harm in trying their installer and... holy moly: they didn't merely support 1.20.2, which is the version I was looking for. Naah, they also support 1.20.4 (!!), this is what you're looking at above. I mean, what. the. heck. you guys: it only got released 1 week ago! With all due respect to OptiFine but... the release of 1.20.1 is already several months behind us.

Figured I'd share, but this also begs the question.... what would you guys be using.

Soooo......

What graphics enhancement system do you use for Minecraft Java edition?

Poll ended 12/27/2023 9:36 pm.

ShelLuser
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/14/2024 11:11 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
person_02
I'm still sticking with Optifine, at least until Sodium gets those rendering issues with water behind stained glass fixed. Since my house has a ton of aquariums and terrariums, this is a big issue for me! Optifine also has almost all of the features I download other mods for (connected glass, zoom, etc.) in one package, so it's much more convenient to me, though I haven't actually looked into Fabulously Optimized or any other modpacks.
01/08/2024 3:38 am
Level 30 : Artisan Sailor
MrManiac3
I still use optifine after all these years with the vanilla game, but I would like to use fabric/sodium/iris in the future when I get around to it. I haven't had the energy to get into it after trying it out and failing a couple years ago I think. So I just have ol' (un)reliable, optifine.
01/08/2024 3:41 am
Level 30 : Artisan Sailor
MrManiac3
The shaders I like to use are KUDA, LUMA, and SEUS PTGI. They all have their benefits and drawbacks, KUDA is the lightest on performance, LUMA is the least complete but is still pretty, and SEUS PTGI is the most complete but has boxy clouds even with the setting turned off.
01/08/2024 3:02 am
Level 32 : Artisan Engineer
traincrisis
I better use Embeddium or Rubidium instead of OptiFine because OptiFine is crashing with many mods, including the enermous and epic Create Mod.
12/28/2023 7:04 amhistory
Level 40 : Master Herobrine
pocapka
I was playing on forge and mods that im using wasnt compatibile with optifine, i was using optifine alternatives, most of them was on fabric, so i moved to fabric
Some of optifine alternatives that are im using has more features than optifine
I am using ETF, EMF, CIT resewn, Continuity, FabricSkyBoxes, LambDynamicLights, MoreMcmeta, Zoomify
12/28/2023 5:48 am
traincrisis
I use Create mod and so i dont use fucking OptiFine.
Also i cannot reply to Index-1's comments and also it says that it does not exists
12/28/2023 4:04 am
Level 1 : New System
Index-1
Always Stay With Optifine. there is nothing to move onto anyway thankfully.
12/28/2023 3:46 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Wisp
Nuanulla
Give me a mod like Entity Model Features that's actually on feature parity with OptiFine CEM, and I'll likely switch over to Fabric altogether.
12/28/2023 3:04 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
12/28/2023 4:03 am
Index-1
Optifine Is Based God. Who cares if it crashes with some mod
12/28/2023 4:05 am
traincrisis
For me OptiFine is the worst
I better use Embeddium for performance and Oculus for shaders
12/28/2023 4:06 am
Index-1
You're Not really a minecraft player. are you?
12/27/2023 9:56 pm
ShelLuser
And my poll finally closed! I figured I'd give it some time so that we all had a chance to see it.

Thank you very much to everyone who voted, I think this is a really interesting result.

In the mean time we have some new developments since the people behind OptiFine recently added new updates: there are now preview versions for Minecraft 1.20.4 and 1.20.3, and the version for 1.20.1 also got a new release. We plan on leaving things as they are for now... we're happily using OptiFine on our 1.18 modded endeavours and so far Iris/Sodium works just fine for me on vanilla.

Thanks again for voting everyone!
12/28/2023 4:10 am
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
"…this is a really interesting result."

Very much so. Good poll & thabks for setting it up 👍
12/18/2023 11:06 am
Level 30 : Artisan Miner
Computer_Boss
I usually liked optifine and its cape feature, but it belongs in the past. I liked the convenience of having everything in one mod but the performance with my favorite shaders being abysmal on it I had to move to iris, where the shaders have way better performance, mind you this is on an enthusiast build.
12/15/2023 10:31 pm
ShelLuser
So, despite the fact that I'm plain out impressed with Iris / Sodium I'm not using it for everything. Iris relies on Fabric which is another modloader whereas I rely on Forge as soon as I want to enjoy "modded Minecraft". So while I am really enjoying Iris on my recent vanilla'ish profiles (1.20.2 & 1.20.4) I still rely on OptiFine for my modded endeavours (1.18.2).

With all those available choices I think it's a good time to be a Minecraft player!
12/18/2023 11:09 am
Level 30 : Artisan Miner
Computer_Boss
You might be interested in Rubidium
12/14/2023 11:49 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Magical Boy
A Lost Boy
Sodium/Iris works well for me and seems to provide better performance, at least with my new shaderpack.
12/14/2023 10:19 pmhistory
Level 43 : Master Dragonborn
Dronko fire blaster
I have used optifine it didn't work very well at all now I use sodium
and a lot of other mods to
12/18/2023 11:30 am
Level 29 : Expert Nerd
Sul4ur
me too
12/14/2023 2:36 am
Level 25 : Expert Procrastinator
Daios
If you’re looking for client mod suggestions, I’ve found a list of mods for fabric/quilt that adds back the features of optifine. https://optifine.alternatives.lambdaurora.dev/
For dynamic lighting I recommend LambDynamicLights, and for zoom I recommend CameraUtils
12/14/2023 2:22 am
traincrisis
I use Embeddium while on forge with Rubidium Extra, TexTrue's Embeddium Options and Embeddium++ instead of OptiFine, but if with shaders then i use the Oculus, too. On Fabric (less often due to me using Create mod nearly always and Create on fabric for me just endlessly crashes.) i use the Iris with Sodium, Sodium Extra, Reese's Sodium Options, Lithium and Phosphor.

Also if create still runs on fabric then i would also install an Iris/Oculus+Flywheel compat mod to have better perfomance with shaders with the Create Mod
12/14/2023 1:30 am
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
I use more or less what they have in Fabulously Optimized just to get decent FPS, minus Iris, some minor optifine feature recreations I don't like, and a couple technical things I don't use like e4mc. I also sometimes switch out Farsight for Bobby depending on the version, they both do more or less the same thing.
12/14/2023 12:15 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
DinoWattz
I'll use OptiFine when I want shaders since Sodium+Iris with shaders doesn't run so well for me
12/13/2023 9:58 pmhistory
Level 28 : Expert Cake
EarthUser
since there is no all option i just chose other because i have all mostly
also nice picture you put up there
12/13/2023 9:47 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Quite the traditionalist [​Op[tifine] although I have been reading about Lithium/Sodium
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome