CHANGE YOUR USERNAME IN MINECRAFT! CLICK HERE

McJJH's Avatar McJJH4/14/13 4:04 pm
1 emeralds 66.6k 215
6/18/2013 2:41 pm
Charlizard's Avatar Charlizard
HELP GET THIS TO HAPPEN! TWEET JEB DIRECTLY HERE!
http://tinyurl.com/changeournames

BREAKING NEWS
You are going to be able to change your name in Minecraft in 1.6 along with other confirmed features.

For an exclusive look check out below
McJJH
Level 14 : Journeyman Turtle

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/14/2013 4:08 pm
Level 22 : Expert Warrior
KingVJoker
no way
04/14/2013 4:09 pm
Level 25 : Expert Nerd
TRNZ
That would be super cool, but coming from a devs point of view, that would make my life extremely difficult, and would be super un-logical.
04/14/2013 4:10 pm
McJJH
Yet it is confirmed. Sneak peak video is uploaded!
04/14/2013 4:10 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Taybama
Really?
04/14/2013 4:12 pm
Level 24 : Expert Engineer
rock1234rock1234
The video is private?
04/14/2013 4:13 pm
McJJH
If you have the link arn't you able to see it?
04/14/2013 4:14 pm
McJJH
I though you could see it, changing.
04/14/2013 4:13 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
The link doesn't work.
"Not Found"
04/14/2013 4:15 pm
McJJH
Sorry, fixed. Video fixed to.
04/14/2013 10:01 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
paperdood
Simple solution! IP ban.
04/15/2013 8:02 am
McJJH
IP's can change! So they only work for a month or till they unplug their router!
04/14/2013 4:14 pm
Level 43 : Master Architect
chickenslikepie
This is going to cause me lot's of pain. Considering I am a server owner. Each player that I have banned by username could change their username like on nodus and come back onto my server? I would also have no idea who any of my players are. I admit I would like to change my username but this would stir up a lot of trouble with my fellow server owners. I don't like where this idea is going but meh.
-Chicken
04/14/2013 4:16 pm
sed11
There's always the BanIP option.
Or maybe they'll add something for servers.
04/14/2013 4:17 pm
McJJH
Mojang said it is still in planning and they are unsure what they will do for servers.
04/14/2013 4:43 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
IP bans don't do jack squat, by the way. Unless you're on a dynamic IP, your IP will change every month or so, or if you unplug the modem.

There is really no way for this to work, unless they somehow manage to make it tell servers the player's original name, when they try to log on, since bans check for a player's name only, not their account info.
04/14/2013 4:29 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Cake
Nuketune+
I'm sure mojang knows that and there should be another way to ban players right?
04/14/2013 4:30 pm
McJJH
They would find a way
04/14/2013 4:55 pm
Level 28 : Expert Geek
MFN
IP banning? One player per IP?
04/14/2013 6:27 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
How can I enforce a whitelist/graylist system on my server, as well?

This could be a bad idea unless there's something that makes each account unique other than the email address and password.

You know what, people changing usernames constantly isn't gonna end well for anyone, escpecially for server owners.
04/15/2013 8:54 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Nerd
ReaCraft
My guess is if I change it, I will always be MrMinecraft2032, but on a server it will say Reagan
04/16/2013 4:39 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Programmer
JustKilling
Mojang are making it so that the servers will remember the regular usernames that is banned but their name in game would be different. but if they are banned they cannot connect.
04/16/2013 6:24 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
Choas
True, but they're changing something to fix that. Also, /ban-ip (which you can find on console.
05/15/2013 11:10 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Crafter
JustANormalSon1cNerd
For a more safer alternative, use /banip <playername>
06/01/2013 6:47 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
jschumacher20
Why do you think you are able to ban IPs?
04/14/2013 4:15 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
I would love username changing!

mainly because when your a noob first making a Minecraft account

your focusing more on what is avalible as a username, and not what is actually good

A guy makes an account with some stupid random name, lets say... he can never take that back in the future when he wish he could change it

I vote this idea for a yes, yay!
04/14/2013 4:18 pm
sed11
....The site looks like one for a server or just a plain site with videos, not sure where to find the information if it's on there.......
04/14/2013 4:18 pm
McJJH
It can be found: http://pwnepik7.webs.com/exclusive
On the home page it asks you to "CLICK HERE"
04/14/2013 4:21 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Ranger1580
Its cool, but still, unlogical. mabye servers will be able to get a email saying " so- and- so name is now this". But i feel its cool, but uneccesary. I will stick with my original name though, becouse that is my ideantity, iv had it since the end of the 1.3 fraction of Minecraft.
04/14/2013 4:23 pm
McJJH
Maby each username will get a code that everyone can access and you can ban them that way. You can change your username but not code.
Level 49 : Master Pixel Puncher
Beast
You know you can just post the youtube link instead of the link to the website, it would be way easier. Also for servers, changing your username will probably change your display name, which other people see but when you get banned it will ban your email. No matter what you change your name to you still are on that email login so you're still banned.
Level 10 : Journeyman Narwhal
mrgdoesmc
thats great but how do your friends know its you if you change your username im just gonna keep my username btw all you need to know is someones password to steal thier acoutn now!
sed11
That's why you don't give your password to anyone, and make sure it's a very strong password.
04/14/2013 5:30 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That's how it's always been. Which is why Mojang added the account migration option which makes your Minecraft account much safer.

Also, perhaps Mojnag could implement something along the lines of a name log? Any name you have used on your account stays with you, so you can't use that account to bypass a ban?
04/14/2013 4:29 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Geek
cmondinger
This would be epic

McJJH
Agreed
04/14/2013 4:37 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Skinner
Midniterider
Simple solution to it really. Have log in names and screen names. That way you shouldn't have to modify whitelists etc as you can keep the log in name there but the person is free to change their screen name to appear as whatever they want.
04/14/2013 4:38 pm
Level 29 : Expert Ranger
Xeno_Stryker
If this is true,itt would be easy to use.

When the update comes,your account is basicly changed so you use your email to login.Thus making it easy for server owners.So if you ban a guy called CHGUEN he will still be banned because the email that is part of his account is banned.
04/14/2013 5:40 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Architect
bluefrostt
Well,The email thing i'm pretty sure is for new accounts,My brother made one not too long ago and he has too,I dont
04/14/2013 4:46 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragonborn
Shvinkly
I've heard news of this before, saying that changeable names would be added in 1.5, this is what Jeb said,
"Adding a Steam name system for Minecraft." (Or something along those lines)
So, all you people complaining about people changing names to get back onto your server after you banned them, you'd just have to ban their Minecraft ID, and you'd be done with them.
04/14/2013 4:49 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
this is really gonna screw up my server...everyone we banned was playername not ip.....goodbye server...
04/14/2013 4:51 pm
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
ProjectNexusFatal
chickenslikepieEach player that I have banned by username could change their username like on nodus and come back onto my server?
-Chicken

I agree, that would suck for server owners, I think there should be a limit, like once a month or maybe even charge like on Xbox Live, but not too much, like $5, maybe even both to stop people from ruining the ban system. Or they could set an id for every name and when you ban them, it bans that id so that all bans will not change if you change your name. Either way, I'd like to see where this goes. Also it would be great if some people would BETA test my texture pack! http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/simplicitycraft-beta-v10/
04/14/2013 4:57 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
iancarroll
WEBS. HONESTLY.
04/14/2013 5:02 pm
SilverKytten
There are so many flaws in this idea.

For one, players would be able to rejoin servers, even after being banned.
This is the biggest issue, and they don't even know how they're going to get around it, yet. Great planning, Mojang.

Spammy name changes - Unless Mojang limits the number of changes (Which they've said nothing about), people will be able to go in and change their names multiple times, also being able to bypass any bans that've been made.

Decrease in available names - The names chosen have to be unique, meaning never chosen before. That means that for ever name change, there will be one less name someone will be able to use, when they buy Minecraft. You know what this will cause? Horribly retarded names. And this will happen the fastest. There are thousands of people out there who are going to rush into creating a new name.

Honestly, if Jeb puts this in, you can expect a lot of servers to either stay 1.5 for a very long time - Possibly forever, if nothing is implemented to send original game names to a server, when a player attempts to join - or to just shut down completely. Anyone who opposes this change should send emails, tweets, and IMs to Jeb, to get him to stop this bullhockey in it's tracks.

To anyone saying "IP ban them!":
NO. This will not work. IP bans do not do anything. They're less effective than a normal ban. Unless you are on a Static IP (And trust me, 99.99% of you ARE NOT) your IP changes every month or so on it's own. It also changes when your modem is disconnected from a power source. IP BANS ARE USELESS.
04/14/2013 5:12 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
ChrisL
SilverKyttenThere are so many flaws in this idea.

This is the biggest issue, and they don't even know how they're going to get around it, yet. Great planning, Mojang.

Spammy name changes - Unless Mojang limits the number of changes (Which they've said nothing about), people will be able to go in and change their names multiple times, also being able to bypass any bans that've been made.

Decrease in available names - The names chosen have to be unique, meaning never chosen before. That means that for ever name change, there will be one less name someone will be able to use, when they buy Minecraft. You know what this will cause? Horribly retarded names. And this will happen the fastest. There are thousands of people out there who are going to rush into creating a new name.

Honestly, if Jeb puts this in, you can expect a lot of servers to either stay 1.5 for a very long time - Possibly forever, if nothing is implemented to send original game names to a server, when a player attempts to join - or to just shut down completely. Anyone who opposes this change should send emails, tweets, and IMs to Jeb, to get him to stop this bullhockey in it's tracks.

NO. This will not work. IP bans do not do anything. They're less effective than a normal ban. Unless you are on a dynamic IP (And trust me, 99.99% of you ARE NOT) your IP changes every month or so on it's own. It also changes when your modem is disconnected from a power source. IP BANS ARE USELESS.

Very few people seem to understand that the accounts will have to have an unchanging id(either the email, an id number, or by making a screen name and a user name, with the username being non-changeable). Since people changing their name would free up their old name, that wouldn't actually affect anything. Also, this will be an update to accounts, not the game itself. It doesn't matter what version of the game you have, everyone will be affected.
04/14/2013 5:20 pm
SilverKytten
ChrisLVery few people seem to understand that the accounts will have to have an unchanging id(either the email, an id number, or by making a screen name and a user name, with the username being non-changeable). Since people changing their name would free up their old name, that wouldn't actually affect anything. Also, this will be an update to accounts, not the game itself. It doesn't matter what version of the game you have, everyone will be affected.

Well ducks, you're right. -.- Didn't think about that. So no matter what, unless they make it so that a player sends their original name on joining, all bans that have been made will be completely void.

It doesn't matter if they create an ID or not - Yeah, that'd help for future bans. But what about all of the millions of old bans? Those are made on the original account name - Not account information - Just their name. Nothing will be stored to say that "so and so" is really "DarkDragons," and that they shouldn't be allowed on, because "DarkDragons" is a banned name on this server.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't free up a name - That would mean that any bans made to a name would stay in place, and people would be unfairly banned from servers they've never been on, not to mention getting a bad reputation from the person who had the name before them. That just wouldn't work. Another thing to add to the list of flaws in this idea.

Not to mention the rewrite in codes for the way banning works. -.-
04/14/2013 5:21 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
iancarroll
SilverKyttenThere are so many flaws in this idea.

NO. This will not work. IP bans do not do anything. They're less effective than a normal ban. Unless you are on a dynamic IP (And trust me, 99.99% of you ARE NOT) your IP changes every month or so on it's own. It also changes when your modem is disconnected from a power source. IP BANS ARE USELESS.

I think you mean STATIC IP, not DYNAMIC IP. XD
04/14/2013 5:27 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Frosfy1990
i think people would abuse it a lot idk we will see
04/14/2013 5:33 pm
SilverKytten
iancarroll
I think you mean STATIC IP, not DYNAMIC IP. XD

Yes, I do. Thanks for catching that. Ranting causes errors -.-
04/14/2013 5:51 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
RiotShielder
Easy way to implement this

1. Assign each current and future Minecraft account with an ID#
2. Keep track of ID# with Mojang accounts, lookups, etc.

This will work like domains and IP addresses, the real number is the IP, but the username is the domain

3. When you ban someone, it bans their ID# rather than their username

Simple.

Also, I bet that they will either charge to change usernames, or limit it to something like 1 change per 6 months.

Not that hard, is it? Also it is NOT going to be with 1.6, in other words this change is separate from 1.6, it will simply release at the same time as 1.6. In other words, if you are running 1.5, or lower, it will still have this change.

Also servers probably could easily get a plugin so they can lookup previous names of a player. This is a great addition to Minecraft, and I cannot wait for it to be implemented.
04/14/2013 6:31 pm
sed11
I wonder......
-Changes name to Herobrine-
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome