Good Computer Brand/Type? - Help Needed

GraveRunner's Avatar GraveRunner6/15/13 10:46 pm
6/29/2013 3:11 am
rick-fle's Avatar rick-fle
Hello, I am going to purchase a new laptop and I need help deciding on what to buy and if it is worth the money. I do not want people to say, "Mac" as I'm looking for something other than a mac.

When replying with a laptop type, please consider and state this:

- Speed
- Holds up to its price
- Durability (Goes for battery life and how long it will last)
- File management and downloading

Thanks,
~Grave
GraveRunner
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/29/2013 3:11 am
Level 1 : New Miner
rick-fle
The computer brands provide the user with good computer experience in terms of price, reliability, and also with durability. I found http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/ ... ter-brands providing the information on greatest computer brands with user experience with maximum functionality.
06/25/2013 11:36 pm
Level 24 : Expert uwu
Girouette
06/25/2013 11:34 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Sheezie
06/25/2013 11:03 pm
GraveRunner
Well, I just bought the Lenovo 17" laptop. I forgot the model number but I know it had like a G7. It's retail price is $700 but I bought it for $400 from a guy on ebay since it's refurbished. - Winning deal.

Specs:

Display: 17"
Memory: 500GB
Processor: 2.30GHz (It's much better than my current one which is like 1 GHz)

I forgot the rest but it's an EXCELLENT for what I paid.
06/18/2013 10:27 pm
Level 29 : Expert Scribe
_DioM_
I wouldn't buy a machine if I were you.

Not only do bought computers give a horrible performance/price ratio, they're almost always bottlenecked in a horrible fashion. Way too powerful a CPU, paired with more RAM then you-- or anyone else --will ever be able to use.

If You really really need a laptop, I'd suggest you buy a crappy one. Then use the money you saved to build a decent desktop.
06/18/2013 10:26 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That doesn't necessarily depend on the brand. Better-known brands (Dell, ASUS, Acer, HP, etc) typically are built with more quality more of the time. Any computer can last a long time with proper care, cleaning, and anti-virus.
06/18/2013 10:23 pm
GraveRunner
How long would you say they usually last for?
06/18/2013 10:21 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
As some others have said, ASUS is a good brand. I have an ASUS and am very happy so far.
06/18/2013 10:49 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
ASUS is amazing in the beginning of its life. I have a K52F.

It's probably just my computer, but they become terrible.
I couldn't not recommend the K52F any more. It's got 72.6 GB of memory on the Hard Drive, and after about a year, it's battery life decreases more and more, but doesn't say so.

I've had mine for about 2 years now. I now get a 5 minute battery life, almost no space on the Hard Drive, and I have to clear my downloads, documents, and Hard Drive daily, to remain with an average of 2GB of space. Not to mention the FPS while playing games. On a good day, I'll get 10 FPS while playing Minecraft, Optifine Ultra, lowest settings, no bobbing, fast graphics, tiny render distance. The only game that it will get a good Frame rate on is Happy Wheels.

It also does NOT accept Forge at all. I don't know if I'm installing it wrongly, but I've tried many methods. It might be my internet connection, it could be the computer, it could be a lack of space. But mine will NOT accept Forge, under any circumstances. Every time I try I get the "Fatal Error" message.

My battery life as of now is a short 10 minutes. However, it says I've still got two hours. The charger also doesn't work after a while. The wires inside the rubber casing tear from the slightest force, causing you to either spend $60 on a new charger, or risk getting shocked by cutting it open, and re-connecting the wires. (Which I've done 3-5 times.) And yes. It does shock you... Painfully.

It says it's quiet, which is very true. However, it's prone to overheating. And I'm not sure if it's like this with all laptops, but when you close it, it shuts off. It doesn't go into sleep mode. It doesn't go into hibernation mode. It doesn't just shut the screen off. It Shuts down the entire computer. And the thing takes 30 minutes to turn on.

I'm not going to kill it on the graphics. It's got pretty good graphics. And YouTube almost never buffers. But again, I'm pretty sure it's my internet. If you look at the page, it says the touch pad has palm detection. It's a lie. The touch pad never works how you want it. You'll end up buying a mouse for it. It's always either too sensitive, or not sensitive at all. When typing something important, if your palm touches the touch pad, you'll continue typing, but it'll go back to the beginning.
For example, the sentence you want to type is, "The cat ran across the street to the other house." If your palm touches the t-pad between "The" and "Street," the sentence would be, Street to the other house. The cat ran across the"

I'm not sure if it's cheap or not, because I've never actually looked up laptops before. It's about $700. I just went to the store one day, and it was the best looking thing there. I speak for myself when I say it looks really cool. I know that there are some super-cool looking Alienware laptops, but I say it looks pretty cool. It's pretty thin and light weight.

So now that you've seen that, you know what computer not to get.

ASUS is a great brand. My friend has one, and it's one of the best computers I've used. It's just the K52F that you shouldn't get. Remember that. K-5-2-F.
06/18/2013 10:21 pm
Level 21 : Expert Hunter
BobaTheFett
My computer is an ASUS, and it's great.
06/18/2013 7:36 pm
GraveRunner
Tough decisions eh?
06/18/2013 10:18 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
I've been looking at some ASUS computers, and they seem to be the way to go. Get one with an i5 or an i7 (or a decent AMD), and you'll be good to go. They released a new UltraBook (I forget its name), and with a few upgrades it runs modern games fairly well. Although, that one is a little over a thousand dollars.
06/16/2013 12:35 pm
GraveRunner
120+ views and 5 replies eh? Anyways, bump
06/15/2013 11:32 pm
GraveRunner
Is Lenovo better though?
06/16/2013 2:35 pm
Leeberator
I'm not too sure about Lenovo; I've never used one of their computers.
06/15/2013 11:11 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
Llamasquishy
GraveRunnerIs Acer different than ASUS quality wise?

My family has bought both Acer and ASUS laptops, and I can tell you 100% that ASUS provides higher quality products than Acer. Take a look on any site that sells both Acer and ASUS laptops, and compare the prices between the two. ASUS will be more expensive, but well worth it because your laptop won't break after 6 months.

As for software-bloatedness, ASUS isn't too bad for that. Most of the software is actually kind of useful, such as ASUS AI Suite which allows you to see internal temperatures and CPU Frequencies without the need to download third-party software.
06/15/2013 11:00 pm
GraveRunner
I don't mind underpowered as much as I do with speed as I can always hook the laptop up with the charger as I do not bring it wherever I go.

Is Acer different than ASUS quality wise?
06/15/2013 11:02 pm
Leeberator
Personally I've never bought an ASUS, but I've been told they make good computers. Acer's computers come with next to no bloatware in my experiences, and their power is good for their prices.
06/15/2013 10:55 pm
Leeberator
Dell makes pretty good computers for their price. Acer and ASUS make good computers as well.

However, most computers the companies are making nowadays are way underpowered compared to the ones in the previous years. I'd wait it out a little more until the companies stop fooling around with underpowered computers.

The other day I saw a quad-core 1.7 GHz i5 desktop computer...

My 2010 laptop has a 2.67-2.93 GHz quad-core i5 in it...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome