Minecraft keeps freezing (On a good computer too!)

samabizzle's Avatar samabizzle4/5/12 10:22 am
1 emeralds 23.8k 15
6/6/2012 12:51 pm
samabizzle's Avatar samabizzle
**********[FIXED - SEE SOLUTION BELOW]**********
Hmm...my first ever topic and it's a complaint...well! Gotta start somewhere I guess.

I have no idea why minecraft has to be such a pain in the behind, but basically this is the problem I have been having:

Every 5 minutes or so whilst playing minecraft it will randomly freeze for about 5-20 seconds, sometimes this happens in multiplayer when I warp to a new place, sometimes when flying, sometimes whilst opening chat...sometimes it will do it quite unexpectedly for no apparent reason. (and yes it also does it in singleplayer)

I tried running the "F3" thing but the freezes I get aren't even registered as lag..just...entire game freezes.
I run at like 200 frames per second most of the time, I can even record with FRAPS no problem...so why is this happening?

I am using a new laptop and here are my specifications:
Windows 7 64bit operating system
8 GB of RAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz
An NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M with 2.1 GB dedicated to it,
oh and it's a Toshiba

These are good specifications right? Right?! So why is minecraft playing up? D:
Its nothing to do with memory allocation either because according to "F3" it doesn't even go above 25% usage most of the time!
Also I am running minecraft via 64 bit java (I did used to run it through 32 bit java and I think the freezes were even longer lasting back then).

I have noticed that the freezes do not occur when I run on tiny render, but come on now, seriously?! I just want to play minecraft on normal render with no fancy lighting and fast graphics and just not have any problems.......is that really too much to ask?
-.-

Thanks for reading and if you have any ideas on what's going wrong please help.

**********[FIXED - SEE SOLUTION HERE]**********
So I said before that my minecraft runs at 200 fps or something stupid like that, turns out my Nvidia graphics card wasn't pleased with this.
I learnt recently that most monitors max fps is only 60, so it can't exactly go above that anyways because it apparently results in blurs or freezes in my case, I dunno, I'm no expert.

But yeah what I did was whacked open my Nvidia control panel, went to "Manage 3D settings" then changed "Vertical Sync" from off to on, this basically limits my fps to 60 or below, and tada! Problem fixed.

So it could be that I'm just a massive idiot or my laptop has a fault or minecraft is stupid, but either way if you were having a similar problem I hope this solution helps you.
samabizzle
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

samabizzle
06/06/2012 12:51 pm
Well I dunno where to find that option since I use optifine. Although optifine does in fact have its own VSync option I found that it didn't actually limit my FPS, I had to do it using graphics control panel.
ZaphodX
06/06/2012 12:13 pm
Level 40 : Master Network
Just as a note, minecraft now limits the FPS on menu screens so you shouldn't really have a problem with this anymore.
samabizzle
06/06/2012 12:00 pm
**********[FIXED - SEE SOLUTION IN ORIGINAL POST]**********
Thanks to everyone who tried to help me with this problem but I managed to find my own solution, go back to original post of this topic to see.
Dillian
04/05/2012 1:57 pm
Level 22 : Expert Pokemon
Try the local applaince/ computer store e.g Currys they could dop it for the cost of processer plus a 20-30 $ charge for the work they did
Dillian
04/05/2012 1:30 pm
And it is a toshiba
Dillian
04/05/2012 1:30 pm
Really? I have a 1.6 ghz and i get 20 - 25 fps
TimeToDie9000
04/05/2012 1:27 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
2.30 Ghz is a tad slow for Minecraft.
samabizzle
04/05/2012 1:44 pm
That's been said twice now, uh oh.

So...can I actually like update my processor to an i5? I mean I wouldn't know how to do it myself. :/
GamerDisco
04/05/2012 1:18 pm
Level 24 : Expert Taco
Emm, maybe just "'TOSHIBA"" Computers are bad
Some of them
ZaphodX
04/05/2012 11:08 am
Level 40 : Master Network
Check the system temperatures.

Check you changed the system run path to the 64-bit version, or you are still running a 32-bit application. Guide at the bottom of here.

Update your graphics drivers.

Uninstall all versions of java, then reinstall ONE version of java.
dtlucario
04/05/2012 10:57 am
Level 34 : Artisan Robot
well no because I have virtually the slowest computer ever and minecraft worked fine for me until 1.2.5 were I started to get black screen when I load it up
KiwizMods
04/05/2012 11:01 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Modder
The black screen happend to my friend delete Roaming/%appdata%/.minecraft and then redownload minecraft off minecraft.net and you probably dont have a good graphics card eating away at your cpu
KiwizMods
04/05/2012 10:55 am
The Cpu problem is most likely caused by your graphics card being so good i would recomend buying an i5/i7 cpu with about 3ghz + but this might not be the problem
samabizzle
04/05/2012 1:11 pm
I had a feeling that might be a problem, but I am doubtful that it should slow my minecraft down because everything else seems to be fine.

ZaphodXCheck the system temperatures.

Check you changed the system run path to the 64-bit version, or you are still running a 32-bit application. Guide at the bottom of here.

Update your graphics drivers.

Uninstall all versions of java, then reinstall ONE version of java.

Yep yep yep, I have made sure that it is running through 64 bit, and I know this because I already uninstalled my 32 bit java and set the path to 64 bit.
But okay I might try uninstalling all my java again and my minecraft and then reinstall both.
I will also look for graphic driver updates as you suggested and see if that does anything.

Okay thanks guys for all your help so far, I will try out the stuff suggested by ZaphodX and see how it goes.
KiwizMods
04/05/2012 10:52 am
Cpu is a bit slow (2.30Ghz) so it could be over heating or its just not able to catch up with minecraft
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome