Is Minecraft Really Minecraft Anymore?

SourC00kie's Avatar SourC00kie10/6/11 5:31 pm
10/6/2011 8:31 pm
sed11's Avatar sed11
With all these new additions to Minecraft in the 1.9 pre-releases a thought has come to my head. Is Minecraft even Minecraft anymore?

If you don't get what I'm asking listen to this.

Back around Alpha Stage-1.7 Minecraft was a game that resembled real life. It had the main resources real life has and things that you would see in the real world. Except the Portal obviously, but that isn't the case.

Now that Notch has added all these new spells and potions and new blocks and such, I honestly don't think of Minecraft as Minecraft anymore. It seems like a whole new game than it was back around Alpha Stage-1.7. I would be interested to see what you think of Minecraft now with all these new updates and features. Is it good or bad?
SourC00kie
Retired Moderator
Level 45 : Master Blob

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/06/2011 8:31 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
minecraft wasnt ment to be like real life.

Everything is made of BLOCKS.

And a lot of people like brewing cauldrons and potions.
10/06/2011 7:57 pm
Level 21 : Expert Architect
Defender2010
If you don't like the new features then just stay at 1.8 or whatever version you like the most.If you want i'll upload my downgrader...
10/06/2011 6:43 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
Augustus37
cool
10/06/2011 6:10 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
biohazard99
Just cuz all this stuff is added doesnt mean U have to use it just play the game the way u want to play it
10/06/2011 6:08 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Dragon
Anonymus3
1.8 is the most real Minecraft has gotten. Glare, hunger, and some more sensible blocks. Now it's being pulled back under. Keep your copy of 1.8 if you don't want fantasy.
10/06/2011 6:04 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pokemon
Predator_Wolf
I agree. The new stuff is all...well...un-Minecraft ish. I love the NPC villages, and I reckon the new biomes are a lot more fun to explore, but alchemy? Seriously? Why not add in more recipes for food?
10/06/2011 6:19 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Dwarf
IBloodstormI
you really want more food? food is food is food is food. You have steak, pork, and chicken, all in raw and cooked forms. You have cake, watermelon, bread, mushroom soup, cookies, apple, and golden apple. You also have spiders eye and rotten flesh. that's 15 different edible items. New food is just going to be a different graphic for the same effects.

I don't see how potions are un-Minecraft. They are essentially the next level of food, when food is no longer good enough.
10/06/2011 5:59 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Marshmallow06
Well, I don't see why a game that resembles real life is good. I mean, you already have real life. Why play it on a video game when the best thing that resembles it is... well, real life?
10/06/2011 5:51 pm
Level 43 : Master Miner
brendan1260
I think the new minecraft is awesome, but it is just simply your own opinion. I don't see why you guys think minecraft is not the same anymore. Potions are really cool in my opinion, and all of the new nether mobs are great! Mojang finally added things to the nether to keep the players happy and satisfied, and now your going to say you hate what he added ? And when Notch created minecraft, he wasn't going for a game of "realisticness" you can easily tell because every thing is a block, and the physics are majorly distorted ( Such as you knock down a tree and all of it doesn't fall down ) and that being said, if you really hate it so much, just go download Alpha, and stop complaining.
10/06/2011 5:51 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Miner
heartshapedBox
I think that from 1.8 and 1.9 Minecraft is turning into some kind of WoW thing or a mod. It's not really bad, but I think Notch should slow down a bit....Especially with the potions and I think someone said he was adding another portal. Minecraft should be a game of survival. NOT alchemy or something unless it's a mod. ):
10/06/2011 5:50 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Dwarf
IBloodstormI
Yes, Minecraft is still Minecraft.

You can still play Minecraft the exact same way. You are complaining about features you never even have to use or see if you choose so.

Don't like the Nether, don't make a portal. Don't like Enchanting, don't build an enchantment table. Don't like potions, don't brew them. It is that simple. At the very base, you are still thrown into a world and forced to survive. You can still dig into the earth, and build castles and cities or whatever else you choose to build.

Complain the day Notch makes all block indestructible, or when you can no longer explore freely (neither of which will ever happen).
10/06/2011 5:46 pm
Level 25 : Expert Blacksmith
Griff Morivan
I like how people keep saying that they don't like stuff that they don't have to use.
10/06/2011 5:48 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
minecraft_247
the same people who whined before that the game never got updated
10/06/2011 5:43 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
StChristmass
Minecraft wasn't the game it used too be,I got minecraft the day it actually came out and it was way funner back then. Exploring,adventuring...Now its just... Idk not the same
10/06/2011 5:43 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
piemanjake97
I hate the new stuff. I would love to have the core elements only or if some folks didnt like that, at least a choice.... Great thread by the way.
10/06/2011 5:45 pm
minecraft_247
you have a choice, don't upgrade to 1.9
10/06/2011 5:42 pm
minecraft_247
if you don't like it, stay on 1.8 or 1.7. simple
10/06/2011 5:41 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
Everything that's added I can only see is good.
We can play the game without using everything that's being thrown in with the exception of the Hunger bar, as this changes game play a lot.

Otherwise, this game can be played as if (almost) nothing else was added.
10/06/2011 5:45 pm
SourC00kie
Yeah, I get that. I mean what I'm trying to say is that Minecraft is changing, yes I realize Notch has said it multiple times, but you're right that it shouldn't affect the main gameplay of the simple building too much because that is the main thing, if not the only thing, I look forward to in Minecraft.
10/06/2011 5:41 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
EuropeRick
I agree, with 1.9 adding mooshrooms and squidwards, i think. what the hell? i mean it would be cool if they add furniture and shit, but adding random crap that doesnt do anything pissess me off.
10/06/2011 5:39 pm
Level 25 : Expert Blacksmith
Griff Morivan
He said from the start that he wanted to do this kind of stuff. And honestly, it doesn't change the core gameplay. It just adds to it for those whom building is insubstantial.
10/06/2011 5:39 pm
SourC00kie
Well I guess the word 'simple' has left Minecraft now.
10/06/2011 5:38 pm
Level 22 : Expert Engineer
buderfingers
I kinda wish they would make a separate game mode within the game with only the items available at, say 1.7 or so. Too much has been added to a game that thrived on its simplicity.
10/06/2011 5:36 pm
SourC00kie
Exactly MrDad. That is my thought on it too. They are just adding random features to Minecraft that should really be mods, not actually implemented in the game...

They should focus on making it even MORE realistic because that is what I'm looking for in a game nowadays...
10/06/2011 5:40 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Guard
esoomytefasgone
They are not Random, All of these features were intended to be put in even when Notch released the game in Alpha, This was always the intention for the game and Notch has even said this on his blogs many times. So dont complain that "all of a sudden the game is becoming crappy" When we all knew this is what the full game was going to be.
10/06/2011 5:34 pm
Level 24 : Expert Unicorn
MrDad
I hate the new stuff, I loved the realistic minecraft stuff, like Man vs. Wild, you spawn in the middle of no where and survive with realistic stuff, some things are not but whatever.

Now you have potions rainbows and all that FANTASY BS -.-

Really sad tho
10/06/2011 5:34 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
Mynameisbob
Sometimes I wish that minecraft was like it was but sometimes I don't because of all the new exciting stuff
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome