An Open Letter, to Server Admins & Owners

htmlarson's Avatar htmlarson3/26/16 12:32 pm
1 emeralds 1.5k 51
3/29/2016 3:00 pm
Sparthia's Avatar Sparthia
Dear server admins and owners,

As a player and a former server owner, I've become increasingly frustrated with your plugins. When I find your server on Planet Minecraft, I'm looking for a simple server, with friendly staff, to play survival on. You have your specialty (skyblocks, minigames, etc.)? Great! Here's where my problem is:

Why do you feel the urge to put in several, several plugins that new players have to learn, when a lot of them are redundant!?

Here's an example: I join your server, and get put in your spawn. I'm prompted to read the rules, so I do. Where is your random tp? Why should I have to ask a player?

I eventually find a spot in the middle of some forest somewhere. I start cutting down trees, making stuff, you know, the usual survival stuff. Then, I try to claim my stuff using a golden shovel and I do. But then I learn from another player that if I want to share my stuff, an entirely different plugin manages chests and access, etc. GreifPrevention handles that for you ("/containertrust %player%" or "/accesstrust %player% or even just "/trust %player%).

So my question to you, server admins and owners, what's up with this? Are you doing your research or just throwing essentials, and whatever looks good on your server? Because as far as anti-greifing is concerned, you really only need GreifPrevention and CoreProtect?!

Yours truly,

A frustrated player.
htmlarson
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/29/2016 1:19 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder
OhLookItsHeybrid
Bringing this back to the topic...

I think a lot of the time server owners feel that if they are going to be unique they need to have loads and loads of plugins so players always have something to do (when I first started I thought this too). I don't actually have a problem with that it's just the way that said plugins are implemented. On a lot of servers the owner has just added hundreds of plugins and not bothered to explain them or even set them up properly, the entire server is just a mess of conflicting plugins and ideas ultimately making a server confusing and boring.

However on the occasions when a server manages to pull of having many plugins (albeit the rare occasions), it can really enhance gameplay for everyone. To take an example, I played on a survival server and many of the players were starting to get bored of just mining and building so we requested for a Mob Arena and later a PvP arena. The owner set them up well and it was easy to transition between these games making it fun and actually helping the server. He continued to add new things and because it was all implemented well the server continued to grow.

On the point of servers having many servers doing exactly the same thing, I believe the server owners simply don't do any research and just piled in whatever plugins they heard about, not bothering to read documentation or configure the mechanics which they needed.

Sorry, I kinda got carried away there... Please continue...
03/29/2016 3:00 pm
Level 20 : Expert Network
Sparthia
And this is exactly why many servers fail..
03/29/2016 12:21 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
You've totally lost me. Is your server in the nether or something?

Grass doesn't even grow off trees. Trees grow on them, to flip that analogy... so how exactly is standing on literally the most common block in minecraft atop the ground hacking? You've got something going that I can't see and I think a few other people are missing too.

My server is not in the neather and yes it is the most common block in the server's world. However there are no grass blocks in the areas you are allowed to go to, it is only in the lands around everything.

I think what they mean is not the grass block but the actual grass that sits on a grass block. If I'm reading this correctly if the user is standing on grass aka "floating" 1 block above the actual ground the server would auto ban them for hacking since if they weren't they should have been standing on the grass block, inside the grass, not on top of it.

Nope, actual grass blocks.
03/28/2016 6:51 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
macgarthur
I think what they mean is not the grass block but the actual grass that sits on a grass block. If I'm reading this correctly if the user is standing on grass aka "floating" 1 block above the actual ground the server would auto ban them for hacking since if they weren't they should have been standing on the grass block, inside the grass, not on top of it.
03/28/2016 6:50 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Toast
Hedgehogs2931
Honestly send it to the admins themself.

Also I'm not mad at you for posting. Just saying. But yeah, I agree with you.
03/28/2016 6:48 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
avrona
Then uh... why do you ban people for standing on grass? I'm missing something here.

Because if they are on grass it means they are hackers..

You've totally lost me. Is your server in the nether or something?

Grass doesn't even grow off trees. Trees grow on them, to flip that analogy... so how exactly is standing on literally the most common block in minecraft atop the ground hacking? You've got something going that I can't see and I think a few other people are missing too.

10/10 troll if that's your angle.
03/28/2016 6:32 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
avrona
Then uh... why do you ban people for standing on grass? I'm missing something here.

Yes cause grass blocks are so rare that only a hacker would find them...............
03/28/2016 6:00 pm
htmlarson
MrMidnight
avrona
So question: how do you deal with theft?

What theft?

How do you use a command block for logs?

And what logs?

Any explanation please?

Theft like hackers.
And just the regular serverlogs.
But every server has them, even vanilla servers.

Per block logs? No...
03/28/2016 4:05 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
eraofiron
I'm guilty of this, our server is a bit confusing because of the plugins we use.
03/28/2016 4:36 pm
Dex210
Confusing or not, having new plugins means getting to do more stuff, but it takes a while to learn. It's kinda like a good thing with a bad thing.
03/28/2016 3:45 pm
macgarthur
You have no idea how often people join and server, don't read anything, expect it to be identical the server they were just on and when it isn't they leave. My server for example does not use Factions, we do not use mcMMO, we openly tell people that in multiple ways (on our server ads, on our website, our banner, in game with auto broadcasts, in game via NPC's, etc). I cant' count how many times people have joined the server, started typing Factions commands (which won't work), then started typing mcMMO commands (which won't work), start looking for kits (we don't have any) and then leave. The entire process takes them about 30 seconds or less, they're literally on the server for less than 30 seconds.

Why on earth did I take all the time to script custom NPC's, auto broadcasts, tutorials, signs, write it plain as day on our server ad, banner, website, etc and yet you still join and type commands for plugins we don't even use.

Don't get me started on all the people who scream until they're blue in the face how they want something different, unique, they're tired of the same plugins. Yet when they join a server that is different, unique and doesn't use the same old plugins they won't give it a shot.
03/28/2016 6:52 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
Same boat as me it seems. The other thing I get...

My server is actually based around an ultra hardmode modpack. The description on the launcher we use is literally "Prepare yourself for the ultimate hardmode experience!"

Players log in and ask "is keepinv on? Are there mobs?"
rage.

They literally spent 10-15 mins installing, loading and logging in without even reading the first line of the description, like how did they even choose my pack out of the 25 in the launcher o.o
03/28/2016 2:42 pm
avrona
Not grass blocks, the actual grass.

Not actual grass, on grass blocks.
03/28/2016 2:35 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
If I may counter, an open letter to 99% of players who join servers;

Read the signs at spawn and they will tell you what to do. If they don't, it's a VERY bad server - most servers will have signs that say "Go here to build, these are the commands you need". Multiple plugins exist, not every server is gonna use the same one.

Seriously, my server spawn has four signs that tell the player the basics - stand on a pressure plate to begin or explore spawn (a large island). If they try and walk out the doors they're hit in the face with signs repeating that they cannot live on the island. The pressure plates are highlighted too, I couldn't make them more obvious... still 9 in 10 players say "how do i get 2 bild stuf" after walking around the island for a few minutes.

Drives me mad.
03/28/2016 3:39 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Yeah, what we need is an easy way for these people to be able to tell what plugins are being used and how to use them.

Wait, /help you say? Heresy.
03/28/2016 2:33 pm
Dex210
avrona

Not grass blocks, the actual grass.
03/28/2016 2:24 pm
avrona

03/28/2016 2:20 pm
raidarr
avrona
Am I reading this wrong?

No?

03/28/2016 1:42 pm
Level 20 : Expert Network
Sparthia
This post is a good suggestion that everyone should know, but really if you don't like it then feel free to find another server. Not everyone knows how the commands/plugins work.
03/28/2016 1:16 pm
avrona
Am I reading this wrong?

No?
03/28/2016 10:18 am
raidarr
avronabans any people standing on grass

Am I reading this wrong?
03/28/2016 4:44 am
Level 28 : Expert Button Pusher
yoda473
I don't play on servers as often as you seem to, mostly on well-known servers like Hypixel. That's because whenever I go on a smaller server, I have no idea how things work due to the massive overload of obscure and vague plugins. SaiCraft is probably one of the only servers I played that wasn't like that, but unfortunately, that's been closed down.
03/28/2016 3:09 am
avrona
Theft like hackers.

Oh, for hackers I have a command block anti-hack system called "Spyfort" which I made myself. It can already detect derp hacks and it also bans any people standing on grass. I will soon also add fly hacks and speed hacks and those 4 should cover all hacks.

We've got a radical here

I am not a radical, it just that there is nothing on my server that needs plugins.
03/28/2016 3:06 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
Flappo
avrona

What theft?

And what logs?

Any explanation please?

Theft like hackers.
03/28/2016 3:00 am
avrona

What theft?

And what logs?

Any explanation please?
03/28/2016 1:52 am
Flappo
He uses commandblocks...
03/28/2016 1:55 am
htmlarson
03/28/2016 12:47 am
htmlarson
Lachie1770
htmlarson

Why do you feel the urge to put in several, several plugins that new players have to learn, when a lot of them are redundant!?

Lol If your complaining about Plugins then I dont wanna know ur reaction to modded servers...

Yeah, trust me... You don't.
03/27/2016 6:02 pm
Lachie1770
htmlarson

Lol If your complaining about Plugins then I dont wanna know ur reaction to modded servers...
03/27/2016 5:52 pm
PrototypeTheta
Hah, I deal with modded servers. The plugins are the least of your worries. Why would you want stability when you can have 70 different types of tank and 30 block tall death mechas?
03/27/2016 6:03 pm
Lachie1770
Oh Finally Finally XD Someone else who deals with modded servers.. Tho i Deal with more tech mods like Buildcraft rather than tanks and death things xD
03/27/2016 6:08 pm
PrototypeTheta
Dear god those can be awful to handle if you have a couple of them. I remember we used to have a bug where if a MCheli plane entered a chunk with a certain Mekanism block in it the entire server would crash. Good times.
03/27/2016 6:14 pm
Lachie1770
Scary thing is i have both them mods on my server, Probably fixed by now.. I hope.. xD
03/27/2016 5:00 pm
avrona
As an owner, I have to say I agree, and that I don't use any plugins on my server, as nothing needs them. Makes things a lot easier. Also with no plugins, I have updated to 1.9 the day it came out.
03/28/2016 12:52 am
htmlarson
Woah, watch out... We've got a radical here...

03/27/2016 12:33 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Turtle
Tdonny
I truly agree!
03/27/2016 12:02 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Dragon
NakuMog
As a person who actually OWNS a server with Cp and GP
I use Essentials. GP for protection, and CP for rollback.
But i have the plugins that keep the server interesting.
mob arena for just something fun to mess around with.
Even crates for just that extra kick of fun. and it gives a good reason to vote since its on a random chance system.
But personally joining a server with just "Essentials, Cp, GP" would be kinda boring in my opinion.
03/26/2016 11:43 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Ally_PlaysMC
Yes, I agree, and if the server owners completely check the plugins and it's features, and the plugin they're about to download, that should be able to prevent duplication and/or conflict.

Another is the server owner's consideration on what plugin he/she should add. Not that, your server is Factions and then there is Skyblock plugin, which makes no sense at all.

I am working on my own server too, but I am still progressing on my server, setting it up, etc.
03/26/2016 2:43 pm
macgarthur
I notice we think a lot alike MrMidnight, we seem to cross paths and say the exact same thing far too often
03/26/2016 3:00 pm
Flappo
True.
03/26/2016 2:39 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
nlgamer1000
Yesterday, I told an owner why he installed: Essentials, commandspy, colorsigns and chatwithcolor.

Essentials can do all those three things, so I told him, saying that having one plugin to handle all those options is faster and simpler. You also dont have to worry about checking four different websites for plugin permissions.

In the end, the Owner just said he didn't care...
03/27/2016 1:21 pm
raidarr
While colorsigns/chatwithcolor is a bit silly added on essentials, essentials does not do what commandspy does.

Essentials has socialspy which shows chat messages.

commandspy shows every command as it is being used on the spot without having to check console. It is a massive improvement... unless you can show me an essentials command that shows every command as it is sent on the spot.
03/27/2016 1:40 pm
macgarthur
You make a solid point, which is what the owner should have responded with. That would have been a professional and adequate answer.

The fact the owner just didn't care at all speaks volumes though and that attitude will echo through the entire server.
03/28/2016 12:49 am
htmlarson
... And unfortunately, that's the attitude I feel from most of these owners. A few of them even put in their description "do not give us your plugin suggestions." That's just overall ignorant and really turns me off to the server and the community.

A good admin and owner is always learning.
03/27/2016 4:51 pm
raidarr
Very true. Says something in and of itself when it takes a random guy on PMC to clarify what the owner should have yesterday
03/26/2016 2:26 pm
macgarthur
As others have pointed out not all servers use the same plugins, and it's refreshing to find a server that uses something unique as opposed to the same old plugins that have been used for years such as Factions, mcMMO, etc. Let's not forget that the majority of servers are put together over night and are for profit, so they only focus on getting the server online and donations coming in, everything else is moot.

Many owners don't understand this one simple concept. You know how the server works, where everything is located, etc, but the players don't. There's many options for giving the players that information is a fun way. For example we have our website, Reddit, Discord, forum and even Live Support to help our current and new members. In game we have NPC's that easily explain how everything works and give clear directions for where you need to go. We even set up an Information Kiosk with different NPC's who can give you info on pretty much any item you may not understand in our game. Another trick is to have the right sized spawn. Something that's just massive in scale means players have to spend more time running around, more time trying to figure out how everything works, more time trying to just learn where everything is and less time playing the game and having fun. This is where having the right sized spawn as well as having your buildings and objects clearly laid out comes in handy. We use signs as well as paths to help show the way like a trail in the woods.

It's difficult when you know something and another person doesn't, like when you're training someone for a new job. You already know all this stuff, you don't want to take the time to have to explain it, but you do. Especially for new players who join a server and are just bombarded, it's mind blowing. Add in the hubs who offer literally everything and dozens upon dozens of game modes and it gets really confusing. This is personally why I hate hubs and will never have one.

As for redundant plugins, well you gotta just flat out blame the owner/admin for not doing their job and weeding out the duplicate plugins or ones that conflict with each other. At the end of the day if the owner/admin has their head on straight and is in this for the right reasons, all that goodness trickles down through the server and community. On the flip side I've seen servers use as many plugins as possible and even brag about the number of plugins they use, as if the number of plugins translates to quality game play.

Communication between the owner, staff and community is huge. If you're not conversing with your community on a regular basis then you're out of the loop. The absolute best advice you can get is from a player on your server because they're happy to tell you what they enjoy and what they don't, what works well and what needs to be fixed. You need an open dialogue between everyone on the server, even if they only play an hour a month that doesn't matter because they're playing on your server, so their input is just as valuable. Some of the best suggestions and input I've ever received were from players of my community.

Great post I really do hope other owners and admins take note of this and translate some of that info onto their own servers.

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text, as you can see this is something I'm a little passionate about.
03/26/2016 2:41 pm
Flappo
Sooo, basically what I said but more detailed?
Good job!
#NoSarcasm
03/26/2016 1:26 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Pspman345
Honestly, I haven't seen many servers do this, I'll be honest with you here. I used to play a lot of PvE, and your situation seems rather unique. Most of the servers I used join are quite generic and have the same protection plugins and whatnot, just different plugins for the fun experience, y'know?
03/26/2016 1:25 pm
Flappo
Not all servers use the same plugins.
Simply because they maybe don't know that plugin existed or they don't know how it works and set it up.
This is where infoboards shows up, those are really helpful for new players.
A server without them is like a car without a key.
You have it, but you don't know how to use it..
As a player (or former server owner in your case) you can help the server by giving them good advise.
That's why some servers say: ''We appreciate your input and/or opinion about things!''
03/26/2016 1:19 pm
anonpmc1781568
[deleted]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome