PSA: 1.14+ is terrible and very laggy. This is not the fault of the server host/owner of the server.

DraconicPiggy's Avatar DraconicPiggy6/28/19 6:43 pm
8 emeralds 16.2k 15
8/17/2019 1:33 am
DraconicPiggy's Avatar DraconicPiggy
We all know that nobody likes laggy servers, but as for 1.14+, we can't do anything about it. No amount of RAM/CPU/Network speed etc... can solve horribly optimized server software. So if you are on a 1.14+ server, don't complain of the lag, its not the host's fault that 1.14 is terrible, and it sucks for both us and you when you complain about the server because mojang screwed up their server code.

I once hosted a 1.12.2 server with nothing but 2GB of RAM and had around 12-16 players, the server tps never dropped below 16 with max players online. Fast forward to 1.14.3 and you get a server tps of around 3-7 with 6 players online not doing much. I was able to fix this somewhat by sinking 24GB of RAM into my server and the tps went up to 7-12 with around 7-10 players online.

tl;dr: 1.14+ is a laggy piece of trash and its not the server hosts fault.

The actual reason for the lag: Chunk updates and entity updates, entity A.I on 1.14+ takes up a bunch of CPU/RAM (Villager A.I is the worst offender), along with the light updates when chunks load, for some strange reason, no matter how much RAM/CPU the server has, the server decides to use all of the RAM/CPU on entity A.I and lighting updates.

If you are on a 1.14+ server, here are some things you can do as both a server owner and player to reduce the lag:

For owners who self host:

- Get paper-spigot, it is much better than the default mojang server code and runs 10x better, it also has lots of options to change how things work on the server.

- Reduce the view distance to 4-6

- Disable auto-save, this causes a bunch of lag for some reason, if you use paper-spigot this is not needed as they fix it.

- Allocate more RAM, i found that having 24G dedicated to it helps smooth out the server for awhile.

- Restart the server often to free up RAM.

- If you host from your computer, close everything except for the server, and use another computer for browsing the web etc.

For owners who host with a third party company:

- Contact your host, and upgrade to a better plan, also if you can access the server files/config, use the above tips if you can.

For players:

There isn't much you can do, but try not to load in too many chunks too rapidly or fill up the mob cap. This gets noticeable when several players are exploring on the same server or mob grinding, there is nothing the owner can do about the lag because 1.14+ is just terrible.
DraconicPiggy
Level 12 : Journeyman Pig

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/17/2019 1:33 amhistory
DraconicPiggy
I miss the good old days, today if you tried to home host a 1.14.4 server with only 2GBs of ram it would crash from player movement. I moved my server to a dedicated host with only 1G of ram, i would do more but currently dont have funds. Strangely it runs better then expected, probably because their machines are made to run servers, but after a few hours it starts having micro-pauses every few seconds due to jvm gc constantly having to run over and over again because of high memory demands.
08/16/2019 7:56 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blockhead
Weasel_Beans
I remember supporting up to 15 players at once in 1.13 on 2GBs of RAM lol. I have a lot more plugins now but either way that sounds crazy now that I'm used to 1.14
08/04/2019 9:35 am
Level 25 : Expert Architect
Sireastbound
this is a big problem for me. I want to host my own server. But I don't have the money to throw in a ton of ram into it
08/04/2019 11:13 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
weareham
well i'm currently having a VPS with 32GB of ram if you are interested, our server would be launched around .... october or november, depends on how many players we can gather
08/05/2019 1:21 pm
Level 25 : Expert Architect
Sireastbound
I don't know. I want to create a towny server. If it would have been 1.12 I would be fine with only 6 gigs of ram. My budget is below $20. a vps of 32 GB sounds expensive. Considering going with 1.13 now.
07/08/2019 1:28 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Ranger
portsawyer
Eventhough 1.14+ is a pretty cool update for some people, I do agree on it being laggy and unstable especially on their servers.
07/07/2019 11:28 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Birb
AukaveOwO
Server stability is a big 1.14 problem.
07/02/2019 4:16 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
Born_0f_Fire
IMO they need to stop adding new content until current content is fixed. This is coming from a modded player who thinks vanilla is a joke.
08/04/2019 11:13 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
weareham
hmmany good suggestion on mods?
06/30/2019 2:22 am
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
While performance has been going downhill for serveral versions [the root cause (as detemrmined by consnsus of the technical community) being a failure to optimize code], the rate of plummet decline has increased particularly in the last two 'major' releases 1.13.x & 1.14.x.

[As 1.14 is still effectively in snapshots (ie. basic mechanics are still in flux), some leeway may be vouchsafed… although (for the same reason), the pretense that a stable and playable version of 1.14 (ie a release quality version) exists at present ought be dropped.]

The characterisation of 1.13 & 1.14 as "1st party modpacks" is interesting [both would have been better if at least parts had been issued as 'official mods' rather than forced into 'vanilla'], and – particularly in the case of 1.14 – rather closer to the truth than one would wish.

Neither does the recently floated combat 'test' bode well: it would appear that the proclivity for messing with basic and longstanding mechanics continues and there are warnings in the announcement that MS/Mj design philosophy has changed to crippling the mouse + keyboard interface until all versions offer equal gameplay at the touchscreen level.

As regards running servers, I would be extremely hesitant to commit resources to hosting any version of 1.14 until a stable version (ie mechanics are set and 'showstopper level bugs [of which there are many] fixed) as doing so might entail committing to support a product that either fails to materialize or has substantially different requirements to run effectively than the current latest snapshot [1.14.3 with 1.14.4 acknowledged as needed qv. https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-java-edition-1-14-3 ]
Even in the best case scenario [1.14.'final' shows better performance than 1.13.2], one would likely over-buy if basing decisions on the present state of the snapshots.
06/29/2019 5:56 am
Level 24 : Expert uwu
Girouette
Its sadly turned into a cash cow
06/28/2019 9:12 pm
DraconicPiggy
I know, it feels like mojang doesn't care about multiplayer anymore. If they did their server software wouldn't be so bad.
07/07/2019 11:30 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Birb
AukaveOwO
It's microsofts fault. They took over since 2014 and the aquatic update is where problems started happening. But the bedrock version is microsofts main focus due to it being on the xbox.
06/28/2019 6:51 pm
Level 20 : Expert Network
LegendOfYukari
You got to understand: Minecraft 1.13 and 1.14 are basically 1st party modpacks. 

Sadly Microsoft post 1.12.2 switched between small useful updates that added blocks and didn't change (break) gameplay features to huge updates which broke things such as plugins, clients, shaderpacks, resourcepacks (1.14), and even servers in general. They are currently rushing 1.15 (combat test). 1.14.3 has done nothing to fix the issues, and only changed gameplay.

Im sorry but if you want to have an optimized and supported multiplayer mc experience I recommend switching to 1.12.2

While you have made suggestions in your post, I don't think players should push more money into hosting. As for PC hosting... Well... (Lets just say that's irrelevant as those hamachi/pc servers get destroyed/shutdown by player movement itself or cracked account raids)
06/29/2019 1:43 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Minor quip, but something that has been bothering me whenever someone says it, the combat test ISN'T 1.15, it is a 1.14 snapshot (It is quite literally called 1_14_combat-212796). Why does everyone call it 1.15? They stated that 1.15 wouldn't be known till Minecon, that's still 3 months away.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome