Question Regarding Mob Farming in SMP 1.2.5. Has low spawns!

Hagon94's Avatar Hagon947/11/12 10:28 pm
1 emeralds 1.6k 6
7/12/2012 2:38 pm
Hagon94's Avatar Hagon94
Hey there. I recently started to get into hostile mob farming and have tried to build one on the survival server I play on.

The mob farm design I'm using is a simple and small one. It's just like the one showed in these two videos:
1.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_paK2zwFgw&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLVYlO70psqfF9hBT93uPo0Q
2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEwpogQG4I&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLVYlO70psqfF9hBT93uPo0Q

At first, I buildt a prototype on my own multiplayer server, where I was the only player on. It worked perfectly and gave a very high spawn rate.

Then I replicated on a server with usually a lot of people on. ( Arround 30 online at all times). I buildt it with perfect specifications:

*I am 24 + blocks away from the spawning pads
*the spawning pads are NOT above layer 240
*I have measured out an area in the middle of an ocean, way up in the sky of 150 + blocks of height and radius from the collection point to make sure all hostile mobs that spawn elsewhere instantly despawn.
*I have 8 pads total which makes for two layers. There is complete darkness inside.

It rarely ever spawns any mobs at all.

There are no other players that live in the surrounding area for atleast 500 to 1000 blocks in any given direction.

My questions are:

Does mob farming work differently in MP with other people online? Does having one or more players online at the same time, regardless of their position affect spawn rates of the mob in your trap?

Does anyone know of a tutorial for an effective mob farm build for a large multiplayer server with an effective spawn rate? I'm talking about a mob farm, NOT a trap arround a mob spawner block.

Thanks.
Hagon94
Level 32 : Artisan Pokemon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

ZaphodX
07/12/2012 1:21 pm
Level 40 : Master Network
I can't be certain, but I would hazard that the issue is the spawn rate of the server. On your own server this is not an issue, but in MP with other players, there is a limit to the number of mobs that can spawn in the world. If the server is somewhat busy then I think that is the problem.
Hagon94
07/12/2012 2:38 pm
I see.

Is it at all possible to build an efficient mob farm setup on this kind of server?
Do you know of one?
Hagon94
07/12/2012 1:19 pm
I've also asked the server admisn and they say that they have not altered any mob behaviour on the server.
Hagon94
07/12/2012 1:17 pm
To all of you telling me to light caves or stand further away, when I get 100% succes with the exact same setup on my own server, I do not believe I need to do that.
Besides, I am guaranteed 128 blocks + from any other block where mobs might spawn, which means i don't have to light up any caves below me. Any mobs down there will instantly despawn since they are 128+ blocks away. Also I have been told and I have tested it that i need to be only atleast 24 blocks away from the mobs to start spawning.

Thanks for replying, though.

And just to clarify again, I am NOT looking for a trap arround a mob spawner block.
The main item im trying to farm here is gunpowder from creepers.
53MP3RF1
07/11/2012 10:40 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
Well. I don't know how your server works, but if you're looking for an XP farm as well as a mob drop farm, I believe I may have a solution. it's a lot less work than building this gigantic thing out in the middle of the water. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8blg0dH-PE&feature=plcp
However, if you do want to proceed with that design, here's a tip.
You should dig around the area underneath the water and light up caves. Who knows, you may have someone whos mine is underneath your farm. Also, at this point.. Mojang is slowly making it harder for people to make effective mob farms without utilizing a dungeon. Your best bet might just be to find a dungeon and follow the design in the tutorial link I just said.
sdid20000
07/11/2012 10:36 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Nerd
You might want to stand farther back, when I do it, I usually stay around 35 blocks away,
I use an 18x18x3 room with water at the middle with channels leading to a 2x2 hole in the center. After that I build layers on top of it. I get a decent amount of spawning with one layer, getting around 720 items an hour. Not a huge amount, but is useful in SMP.
If this doesn't work for you, the owner of the server may have reduced the spawn rate of the mobs.

Hope this helps!!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome