Ship Battles: The Game

Gog_the_Viking's Avatar Gog_the_Viking2/20/12 4:06 pm
1 emeralds 4.6k 38
9/5/2012 10:59 am
marko1's Avatar marko1
**LINKS TO THE DOWNLOADS ARE IN THE "OUR SHIPS" SECTION OF THIS ARTICLE**

To quickly download all of the available ships, go here:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... directory/

PLEASE-We ask that if you use our creation for the purposes of YouTube or otherwise, that you put a link in the description, mention us, or find some way to give us adequate credit. We've spent a lot of time on this and have a lot of pride for what we've created, some recognition is all that is asked for.

We're unable to let people on the server because it's shut down while all the players are at school! It'll reopen come summer, but for now you can still play on any server simply by downloading the ship schematics!

A few months back we started playing this game on the server I play on, almost by accident!

The gist of it is this: Two teams try to kill each other from ships, using swords, arrows, and, last but not least, tnt cannons. There is much destruction and chaos, and joy.

Most Recent Video:

It's a great game, with some great ships. However, the ships are tools, not meant to be fancy works of art. They're not all perfect, but that's part of what gives the game it's character. Literally anyone who wants to build their own ship can, in fact it's encouraged because it's more fun to play with something you built yourself.

Interested? Read on.

*Note that extensive use of worldedit is needed to operate this game.

My goal with this post is to create a comprehensive guide to the game of ship battles as it is played by those I know. It's exciting, but to have the most fun with it you need to know how it works and how to run it.

Want to learn how to run them on your own? Just below you'll find rules and guides to how it works.

Need ideas? Below that I've taken some space to show off the beautiful vessels of war created by those I know, and some created by anyone who decides to try the game themselves.

Not sure what to do when it comes to cannons? I've done my best to explain how they function and how to use them at the end of this article. And if you're a veteran, while we haven't created anything revolutionary you can view a gallery of the gun designs used in the game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RULES
Click to reveal
Play begins by selecting teams. This can be done in a variety of ways, where I play we call out a "captain word", something players must be the first to type to be the "captain". Two captains are chosen. At this point, the captains message the game administrator their choice of ship. Captains choose from the remaining players draft style to determine teams.

Teams move to their respective ship and "kit up". Players start with a base "pirate" kit, given with the command /kit pirate. It consists of: Infinite tnt, a wooden sword, a bow, 15 arrows, leather pants (Because pirates love leather pants), a golden apple, a potion of healing instant health II, and 10 signs. In addition, each ship has chests aboard that contain ship specific supplies for the coming battle. *These are the only supplies you get.*

The starting position for a team is loosely defined as "within 5 spaces of a chest". Some ships have more specific starting zones to balance them out.

Once the game is started (we usually start it with a universal heal) it's started. You get one (1 and that's it) life. If you die, too bad. Dead players are allowed to spectate, but they may not interfere in any way. How do you die? Simple.
1. Get blown up
2. Get shot
3. Get stabbed
4. Stupidly fall through a hole
5. Drown.

(Not an all-inclusive list)

The one that needs the most clarification is drowning. If a player falls into the ocean without a boat, that player is dead. This comes down to the honor system quite often, but if someone is seen swimming they are cheating. If a player falls in the water they have a second or two to slap down a boat to survive. I recommend having several in your hotbar if you're going near the water. The small exception is if you are within 5 blocks of a way onto a ship, in which case you may swim and climb aboard.

How does one get stabbed? Simple. Boarding is a great way to end a stalemate. Each ship is provided with a certain number of boats. Players may use these boats to cross the channel. There's numerous things you can do from there. Some of the best are disabling cannons, blowing up a ship from the inside, and getting down to hand-to-hand combat. It's risky though...take a partner or have someone on your team draw fire because crossing in a boat makes you an easy target.

Extra rules:
1. No crafting
2. No removing the tnt found in powder rooms
3. No swimming while more than five blocks from a ship
4. No item spawning (duh)

Oh yes, how do you play? Kill the other team.

HOW DO I RUN SHIP BATTLES?
Click to reveal
While I'll add a text description at some point, for now just sit tight with this video tutorial!

SHIPS
Obviously, the key component of ship battles is the ship you play on! Therefore, when trying to run games one of the best ways to keep things interesting is by having multiple ships to choose from. Ship building is a challenging, but rewarding task (at least for me). It's great fun to put time and effort into building your masterpiece and then to have the opportunity to blow it up with some friends. Below is how our server handles the ship building task, and my personal thoughts on how to build your vessel with maximum success!

OUR SHIPS
Of course, these are only the ships we've made...I hope others will build many more!
Click to reveal
1. Pirate Ship
This is the original ship, the one that started it all! While it's not perfectly built (first try, cut me some slack haha!) it's still fun to play in battle. It's fairly well balanced between attack and defense, has two decks, and plenty of guns.

Builder - "Me"
>Attack: 5/10
>Defense: 5/10
>Strengths: Plenty (15) of guns, decent hull strength, archer masts
>Weaknesses: Powder room, easy to board

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-pirate-ship/

2. Longship
My personal favorite, the longship is inspired by...obviously...VIKINGS! It broke ground as the first ship to feature double cannons, and is all around fun to play with. It's incredibly weak, but it packs a punch and features iron swords for better boarding adventures. The decks under the guns make pretty decent cover as well.

Builder - "Me"
>Attack: 8/10
>Defense: 3/10
>Strengths: Iron swords, double guns, archer mast, hard to board
>Weaknesses: Weak hull, few (3) guns, very little cover

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... -longship/

3. Fire Ships
Not really inspired by a historical source, the fire ships were the random idea of our glorious server host, and have turned out to be one of the most fun to play. These tiny ships pack a punch, but only for someone willing to play with fire...

Builder - "Phil"
>Attack: 9/10
>Defense: 2/10
>Strengths: Flint and steel, obsidian guns, small target
>Weaknesses: Weak guns, few (4) guns, tnt under decking, very little cover

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... -fireship/

4. Ironclad
The goal on this one was to create a ship that was loaded with power but still not bad defensively. It's not intended to be historically accurate at all. It was our first group build of a ship, and the first ship to use levers as a balancing tool. If there's one aspect of this ship that I like the most, it's the ability the player has to climb onto the top and take shots with arrows.

Builder - "Me"
>Attack: 6/10
>Strengths: Tough hull, substantial (10) amount of guns, thick deck
>Weaknesses: Powder room, lever cannons

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-ironclad/

5. Turtle Ship
This design was inspired by the Korean "Turtle Ship" that it takes it's name from. It's a rather eccentric little ship, containing three cannons, two triples and a single. It's 100% boarder proof before it takes damage, and has a few extra defenses in place for when a gap does appear. As far as defense goes, this is as good as you'll get. On a side note, Eastern architecture is quite hard to pull off in Minecraft because of the lack of curves.

Builder - "Me"
>Attack: 4/10
>Defense: 10/10
>Strengths: Very good against boarders, strong guns, excessive amount of cover
>Weaknesses: Few (3) guns, guns easy to destroy, tnt embedded in the floorboards

Download Project File
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-turtleship/

6. Dumboat
This is the first of the "Secret Op Ships", built as a joke on our server. Naturally it became an official ship. It turns out to be quite difficult to use...the floor is soul sand and the guns are operated by pressure plate. With it's thin hull it is also quite easy to fall to your death, that is if your opponent can get a good enough shot to make a hole.

Builder - "Phil"
>Attack: 7/10
>Strengths: Good for archers, hard to hit
>Weaknesses: Very weak hull, soul sand floor, pressure plate cannons

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-dumboat/

7. Junk
Despite it's name, the junk is an extremely powerful ship...if used correctly. It features only two guns, triples. It sits very low in the water, making it a hard target, however a hit floods it severely limiting mobility. In addition, the masts make idea sniper posts because the sails provide so much cover.

Builder - "Jim"
>Defense: 7/10
>Strengths: Powerful cannons, hard to hit, hard to board
>Weaknesses: Few cannons (2), very little cover

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-junk/

8. Galleon
The galleon was designed as a smaller, more compact version of the pirate ship, centered more around archery. The tall masts with fence protection make it ideal for that purpose. While this ship is not particularly notable for it's guns, the center cannon on the top deck has the potential to inflict severe damage on an enemy if not disabled almost immediately. The ship almost requires the crew to specialize in archery or cannons, it is difficult to work both at once. If the players decide to snipe, the lower deck will most likely be wide open to boarders.

Builder - "Ryan"
>Strengths: Good for archers, strong top deck gun, plenty of cover
>Weaknesses: Few well positioned guns, easy to board

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-galleon/

9. Bulb Ship
The bulb ship was intended to be strange. It's incredibly cramped, which is both a positive and negative. A crew member can move from top to bottom with incredible speed, and it is capable of decimating an entire section of the enemy vessel with its tightly packed cannon grouping. That said, a single hit from the enemy is also capable of disabling every gun on the bulb ship. While they may not be destroyed, precious time is lost making redstone repairs.

Builder - "Devin"
>Defense: 4/10
>Strengths: Able to decimate one section of the enemy, easy to move around in
>Weaknesses: Cramped for larger crews, cannons are easily disabled

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-bulbship/

10. Tree Ship
The tree ship was a challenge to build, but of our ships it is one of my favorites. It's an interesting ship to play, because it does well in certain matchups, and much, much worse in others (fireships). The top deck is quite difficult to navigate, but makes adequate cover for any sniper. If that's not enough, the tree house at the rear makes for an excellent sniper post. This ship is also deceivingly durable: although it's not made of strong materials, the thickness of the trees provides the cannon deck with a decent cushion from the enemy's shots.

Builder - "Me"
>Strengths: Lots of cover, good for snipers
>Weaknesses: Made of weak materials, very vulnerable to fire

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-treeship/

11. Cake Ship
Is that? Yes. In Ship battles, it is even possible to make a ship out of cake. This ship is a tiny little thing, and the rear is incredibly vulnerable. With only three cannons every shot counts, but you have a little time to spare because the iron roof will absorb at least one or two hits.

Builder - "Phil"
>Attack: 3/10
>Strengths: Made of food, decent protective canopy, hard to board
>Weaknesses: Very vulnerable to cannon-fire

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-cake-ship/

12. Igloo Ships
Those pesky Eskimos are back, and they brought their igloos with them! These ships appear to be rather poorly constructed, and it is true that a well placed shot can mean disaster for them. The can, however, deal quite a bit of damage in two concentrated areas. In addition, there is plenty of good cover and places to snipe from, and an ice fishing pit for catching to-go meals during the battle.

Builder - "Joe"
>Strengths: Good sniper posts, concentrated fire, unlimited food source
>Weaknesses: Very weak materials, easily disabled cannons

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-igloo-ship/

13. Man-O-War
The Man-o-war is the true ruler of the seas when it comes to ship battles...as long as it's extensive reserves of tnt aren't hit. Featuring the largest amount of guns on any ship so far, it's rare there won't be one ready for use. And while it's not too difficult to board, it's massive size and anti-boarder cannons on the top deck make seizing the vessel a challenge.

Builder - "Me"
>Attack: 7/10
>Strengths: Incredibly high (27) gun count, large, anti-boarder cannons
>Weaknesses: Many powder rooms, lever cannons, large

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-man-o-war/

14. Nether Ship
The pits of the Nether yielded this fearsome ship, a terror to all who behold it! Alright, it's not that horrible to behold, but it certainly packs a punch. This irregularly shaped behemoth is amply supplied with guns, and features an easily defended bridge for archers. The major downside? You might be killed by your own ship, as it is difficult and at times dangerous to navigate the decks.

Builder - "Joe"
>Strengths: Plenty of guns, plenty of cover
>Weaknesses: Hard to maneuver, dangerous decks, hard to reach cannons

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-nether-ship/

15. Castle Ship
This ship has the apearance of a fortress placed in the sea, and loaded up with cannons. It is not extremely easy to line up shots from behind the wall due to limited visibility, but this is a minor drawback. The tough walls can absorb cannon fire for most of the match, so placing a shot over the wall into the courtyard is the enemy's only way to inflict meaningful damage.

Builder - "Me"
>Defense: 8/10
>Strengths: Strong wall, plenty of cover, archer tower, hard to board
>Weaknesses: Lacking in offensive power, mostly low guns, difficult to aim guns

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles-castle-ship/

16. Reading Rainboat
The second of the "Secret OP Ships", the reading rainboat was constructed for the book worms on our server. Having only one gun, this ship appears vulnerable. It helps that that gun is a quadruple barrel. The ship also features a sail designed as an archer camping position. All of these features put together make this one of the best ships to use if you're playing against a larger team.

Builder - "Phil"
>Strengths: Small size makes it hard to hit, quadruple cannon
>Weaknesses: Easily disabled cannon, weak hull

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ship-battles/

17. Icebreaker
From the frigid norther regions of the world sails the Icebreaker. Originally working to create a safe passage through the icelocked regions, it has been pressed into combat and converted into a warship. With its many cannons and massive size, the Icebreaker can sustain a great deal of damage before becoming unusable; however years of service in brutal conditions have weakened its hull so that it now shatters rather easily.

Builder - "Jimmy"
>Attack: 9/10
>Strengths: Large size, Lots of guns
>Weaknesses: Built of weak materials, damaged easily, not difficult to board

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... cebreaker/

18. Interceptor
The interceptor is a much more aggressive take on the Ironclad. With less armor but no powder room, this ship plays like it should, with a strong initial volley sent out from the guns, followed by an attempt at boarding the enemy vessel. While it can hold out for a reasonable amount of time on its own, don't expect it to go toe to toe in a shootout against some of the more powerful ships. Its strength lies in is versatility.

Builder - Natalo77
>Strengths: Plenty of cannons, wide reach, balanced chests
>Weaknesses: Weak hull, limited supplies

Download Project File:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... terceptor/

***Disclaimer--Any and all ships built are subject to our balancing/build standards if you want us to consider them as "official". While we try to keep things as close to original builds as possible, please remember that all of our ships have been through extensive testing and editing. We reserve the right to make design changes if we feel they are necessary to protect the integrity of the game. ***

BUILDING SHIPS
The general rules and guidelines we follow when building ships.
Click to reveal
Ships for this game are built not individually with a "who can build the best ship" attitude but a "let's build a ship that's fun to play with" attitude. It makes for a much more balanced game. After a ship is built as a prototype in our "shipyard" we begin testing it. On our server, we set up a review committee to make sure no broken ships make it into competition.

Some guidelines for ship building:

My original "pirate ship" was built at 75 long and 15 wide, at the base. While this is not a rock hard requirement, we try to keep ships around that footprint size. Much bigger and you have ridiculousness. (See my Man-O-War...)

Ships must be balanced. This means that a ship made of obsidian will most likely not be approved because it's indestructible. Ships that have very good attack ability should be built to be weak defensively. Remember a committee should review ships, so making an overpowered ship will result in a waste of time.

Insanely tall ships are not encouraged, you don't want to get stuck up on a mast that's detached from the body by a deadly fall.

Ships should include a glass block placed at opposite corners to allow game administrators to cuboid the entire ship for easy setup and teardown. Worldedit rocks!

Two glass blocks (one submerged) make cleaning up these fireships easy.

That about covers rules for shipbuilding. Below you will find some tips and tricks from my experience doing it (I've built about 8 or 9 I think, we have something like 15 total.)

This video shows the process:

TIPS AND TRICKS FOR SHIPBUILDERS
Click to reveal
Getting started on a ship is one of the hardest things to do. You have an idea what you want sometimes, other times you don't. My first suggestion is just to crank out a basic frame and go from there.

I always suggest building the middle first. Start on the lower deck (Make sure a layer or two is in the water) and start building your frame. The ship should curve out a bit as you build upwards. Don't start the bow or stern until you have the middle section of the bottom layer finished, because those parts are the hardest to build.

Make sure you decide early if you want your ship to have an even or odd number of blocks on the width. I tend to go with odd. This is important for building the bow of your ship.

The key to making a good ship is doing something unique. Don't just make rows of single cannons on each ship, it gets boring. Be daring! Be creative! Make a ship with only 3 cannons. Make a ship with quadruple barrel cannons. Make a ship out of trees. The possibilities are almost endless.

Be creative with making ships balanced. I've developed numerous ways to do it and would love to see more.

Lighting is tricky...you might want to do this in a world with mobs disabled. However, you might want to make a ship that spawns monsters or animals for food (We tried it and it's still something I want to work on), in this case make sure your ships are well lit.

After a ship is constructed, I like to do some prelim testing. Make sure you save your vessel, then place another completed ship across from it. Do some shooting from either ship to make sure they can hit each other. Check to see if anything seems way to strong or weak. This is a good way to cut back on "official" testing time.

Overall, the sky's the limit. Everything I post here is just my idea of how the game should be played, if your server wants to modify things, more power to you!

BALANCING SHIPS
Ways to keep ships from becoming overpowered.
Click to reveal
There's several ways to make ships fairer for competition. A few are shown below.

1. Powder Rooms

Everything feels nice and safe until the enemy hits the powder room...suddenly you're either dead or don't have much of your ship left.

2. Levers

What's wrong with levers you ask? Most people load cannons from the front. When you do that in the heat of battle and didn't turn the lever back off after the previous shot, you end up with a dead cannon, and possibly a dead you!

3. TNT Decking

Similar to powder rooms, when the ground under your feet isn't as safe as you'd like, you have a decent incentive to go board...

4. Low Delay

Delay is tough to master. When you start a battle without preset delays, you must waste precious time getting it right to get a shot in.

CANNONS
I have learned that there are a number of mods for tnt cannons that exist, however I prefer those that can be built in game for a number of reasons. People who prefer not to use mods can build and use them. They also take a great degree of skill to master, something that makes ship battles much more interesting. Learning to set repeater delays just right in order to score the perfect hit is a worthy accomplishment. It also contributes to the unpredictability of the game, keeping you on your toes because a glancing blow from the opponent could have damaged your guns, leaving them ready to blow up in your face if you fire! Finally, one of the fun elements of the game is cannon repair, and trying to rewire guns after the circuitry gets scraped off. Below I'll go into detail about how to build and use cannons.

*disclaimer-I do not claim to have invented tnt cannons by any stretch, I simply seek to explain them fully for anyone attempting to play this game that is new to them. YouTube was a great asset during the design process of some of the guns used on the ships.*

CANNONS AND HOW TO BUILD THEM
Click to reveal
Meet the standard single cannon. It's going to be your best friend if you plan to put the hurt on the other team's ship.

I made a quick YouTube video with actual ships, I take a few shots and build a cannon as a demonstration.

TYPES OF CANNONS
Following is a list of cannons we have used on our ships.
Click to reveal
(Note: The following section was written by our very own server admin "Phil")

Single Cannon
Rating: 2.5 out of 5

This is the basic TNT cannon we use in Ship Battles. The basic model has enough room for 4 charges of TNT and 5 repeaters, which allows for up to 15 ticks of delay. This allows it to fire TNT far enough to hit every opposing ship. There are variations on the basic model that change the length, or the method of firing the cannon.

Long Cannon
Rating: 3 out of 5

This is a variation on the single cannon, allowing for more delay and more charges of TNT. On the Ironclad, they're powered by switches, so make sure to turn them off before reloading or you'll get a nice surprise in the form of a busted cannon!

Mini Cannon
Rating: 2 our of 5

This cannon is smaller than the single cannon, which may stop the tnt projectile from reaching the other ship unless you have a bit of luck. In the picture, they've been used on the Fire Ships, and are made of indestructible obsidian, so if the wiring gets destroyed, the cannon will remains intact.

Pressure Plate Cannon
Rating: 2.25 out of 5

This is similar to the single cannon, but it is fired with a pressure plate. On the dumboat, while you're trying to move through the soul sand, you might accidentally jump on the pressure plate and activate the cannon yuor buddy is loading, which may be problematic for him. Especially if the TNT blows up in his face.

Double Cannon
Rating: 4 out of 5

The double cannon will alow you to fire twice as many shots at once! On many models, the delays are separately configurable, so you can set one tnt to go off before the other which brings in possibilities like having one shot to go off before the other, to can make a hole for the second...Watch out though, as it takes twice as long to load, leaving the half loaded cannon vulnerable to a stray explosion!

Triple Cannon
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Three shots at once? Can I get a hell yeah? This shoots three shots, with the delays of two to be configured together and one separate. Just imagine the destruction that one attack could wreak upon the enemy... Mind you that the cannon takes longer to load, and could blow up early if it gets hit while you're laoding it. That would NOT be fun for your team...

Quad Cannon
Rating: 5 out of 5

Currently only on the Reading Rainboat, this cannon is a monster among other cannons. Powered by a pressure plate, this cannon can efficiently fire shots straight into the center of the enemy ship. However, its size will make it easily hit, and easily disabled.

THE GAME, AND FUN STUFF RELATED TO IT
This is a miscellaneous section that will be filled with all the random stuff related to ship battles that doesn't fit elsewhere. Look here for videos about ships, interesting screenshots, and more!

VIDEOS
Click to reveal
Pirate Ship Promotional Video

Longship Promotional Video

Fireship Promotional Video

Ironclad Promotional Video

Building The Ironclad

Dumboat Promotional Video

Ship Battles Cannon Tutorial

Junk Promotional Video

Turtleship Promotional Video

Ship Battles Trailer

How To Administrate - A Tutorial

Pirate Ship Review

Ship Battle #1 - Pirate Ship vs. Junk

Galleon Promotional Video
Coming soon...

SCREENSHOTS
Click to reveal
Coming soon...

WHAT SHIP BATTLES NEEDS

Calling all modders!
Ship battles is an awesome game, but there's one major thing that would put it over the top. The ships can't move! The problem is, the current mods out there for structure movement do not allow the structure to be edited while in motion. This means no loading cannons and no damage when it gets hit. It might not even be possible to design a mod with these capabilities, but that's the challenge. Here's what would be needed:
+Move structures in water
+Move large structures (Some ships are huge compared to current mod limits)
+Cannons still function while moving
+Blocks can be added (Loading/repairing cannons) while moving
+Blocks can be removed (Taking fire from opponent) while moving

If this could be added...it would be huge.

ON THE CREATION OF SHIP BATTLES
Before I played on a server I did singleplayer (obviously). I built myself a tiny little ship and was proud.

Fast forward a few months and it's 1.7.3. During the prolonged wait for the "Adventure Update" the server I joined had enabled item spawning. A few things came to gether perfectly at that time.
1. Someone had a massive ocean built for an underwater city.
2. I decided to build a nicer, bigger boat.
3. Someone was messing around with TNT cannons.

I built my ship. Later that day I was asked if I wanted REAL cannons on it for fun. I agreed, they were added. Soon after an idea was formed. What if we flipped this ship with worldedit and placed it opposite? Then we could shoot each other!

After some explosions and fiddling with worldedit, we had copies of each saved. Soon after that we had /kit pirate figured out. And after that...we had 10 people playing ship battles at once.

Clearly this was an idea worth pursuing...and so a shipyard was built, cannons were tested, ships constructed, battles played. And we wound up with 15 ships.

A screenshot from July 20th, 2011, the first ever evidence of ship battles on our server.
Gog_the_Viking
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer