Stolen Work

joshspaceboy's Avatar joshspaceboy12/8/20 7:30 pm
12/20/2020 3:56 pm
joshspaceboy's Avatar joshspaceboy
I found out someone stole one of my projects and posted it on MCPE Addons without my permission. I probably would have let them if they had asked my permission but they did not. It may be slightly flattering but I will typically convert my worlds to PE and post them to same app so I had a little problem considering they did it before I had a chance to post it myself. I had it taken down and replaced with my own upload but I found the same person immediately post another person's map they did not make, and although I don't know for sure I doubt they had permission. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues like that or maybe some ideas to stop it? Really I just want people to ask permission first. From what I have seen I wouldn't be surprised if this is happening on a massive scale.
joshspaceboy
Level 54 : Grandmaster Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/20/2020 3:56 pm
joshspaceboy
A Little update. I talked more with the people who run the app where my map was taken without my permission and after catching the person for a second time taking work without permission. They this time didn't allow this person to post again without showing that they creator gave permission. I am sure there are more out there like this guy though but at least a small victory was won. The creator of the app said they are looking for more ways to stop this from happening so hopefully they will actually get on to that and let people know they can't do that.
12/17/2020 7:31 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Papa Enny
Report or write to the customer service
12/17/2020 7:05 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
12/17/2020 7:18 am
Level 35 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
this may be true, must most sites lift semi popular submissions from sites like ours, minecraft forums etc and repost them behind ad-links for that sweet sweet ad revenue (which they then do not share with the original submissions creator)

aint nothing we can do about it
content creators need to be on thier toes and have to be smashing out DMCAs against third partywebsites that use thier work for commercial gain
12/11/2020 9:02 pm
Level 41 : Master Spider Rider
GiantPlaytime
block'em
12/11/2020 9:14 pm
joshspaceboy
They can't be blocked. They only use this site to steal work and I don't know what they are called on this site. Only on the app which the post on and you can't block people on that app. It doesn't work like Planet Minecraft. Besides it wouldn't stop them from stealing other people's work. I already had what they stole from me taken down. I'm trying to get their account on the app taken down by contacting other people who have had their maps stolen and reporting the thefts to the site admins so they will stop accepting admissions by that person.
12/11/2020 1:52 pmhistory
Level 1 : New Explorer
bastwren
Not sure why you aren't wanting to post the page/user here, but if you did then others could also report them. One person raising an issue often times isn't listened to; if many people raise an issue there is a better chance that something will be done.

Also, if people knew which page to visit they could call out the thief for stealing someone else's work. Sometimes when that happens a thief is shamed into admitting the theft. Not always, but sometimes. Even if that doesn't happen, it will alert others to the theft, possibly dissuading them from downloading the stolen project.

Not criticizing you, joshspaceboy, just making a suggestion. It's your issue, do as you see fit. Sorry your work got stolen...greedy people suck.
12/11/2020 8:53 pm
joshspaceboy
Oh I don't mind mentioning the name they post the maps under. Remember they steal the maps from here and post them on a different site. They don't have an account on this site or they at least go by a different name. The person who stole my map was Gab The Crafter. Ironic since all they crafted was a conspiracy to steal maps.
12/09/2020 9:49 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect
SignorNic
Why are people like this
12/09/2020 11:23 pm
joshspaceboy
Although I don't monetize my maps, I do believe on the app where people are stealing my work they have a way to make money off of it so they post others works constantly to make a steady flow of money without having to do the backbreaking work. The worlds there on average get around 30,000 downloads, which is way more than I get on here for my maps. I have a map there with 58,000 downloads but here the same map may at the most get 5,000. You can make a lot of ad revenue posting maps like that daily.
12/09/2020 11:40 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect
SignorNic
Darn, so sorry that happened to you.
12/09/2020 12:20 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
If you're absolutely sure about your case and there is no chance that the user can defend their actions under a fair use claim then you could always consider filing a DMCA takedown request. You shouldn't take this too lightly of course because you're basically taking legal action against them which - theoretically - could end up in a courtroom.

Even so, there are repercussions which might be just what you need to wake the person up.
12/09/2020 9:10 pm
joshspaceboy
Probably not looking into anything that far. I don't have the money or time for something like that. I
12/09/2020 10:03 am
Level 43 : Master Lemon
char-png
You should report the user

this doesnt happen on a MASSIVE scale but it still happens sometimes, usually they download something (I think the most common thing are skins) and upload it on a different site
12/09/2020 9:11 pm
joshspaceboy
I did. But then I saw another map that I believe was also stolen posted just a few seconds after. I contacted the person who on here who made the map asking if they gave the user permission. If not I'll report it to the site so hopefully they wont give that user any more second chances since they didn't learn their lesson.
12/09/2020 10:01 am
Level 33 : Artisan Nerd
enderstandable
When i started making skin i worried that would happen, so i added a signature on all of the skins i made so no one could claim them as there own.
12/09/2020 9:37 am
Level 37 : Artisan Birb
Villager riding a chicken
just report them? what is their username?
12/09/2020 9:12 pm
joshspaceboy
I don't know what they go by on here. Already reported them on the app but they weren't banned. Saw them immediately post another map that I believe was also stolen.
12/09/2020 4:13 am
Papa Enny
What page is that and you should report this user
12/09/2020 9:13 pm
joshspaceboy
I already reported them, with virtually no action as of yet.
12/10/2020 3:04 am
Papa Enny
Good

Hoping that it will help

And try to use DMCA too(copyright report that mostly works)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome