What Features should a Simple server Have?

Altitude Community's Avatar Altitude Community4/3/15 2:19 am
1 emeralds 219 5
4/3/2015 2:45 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
Hello. My name is on the left if you want to see it. I run <insert server here>. Now that thats out of the way lets get into what really matters. I DO, in fact, run a server, as you might have guessed by the oh-so-original signature. The goal of this server was to be a simple survival and creative server. "Semi"-vanilla survival, plotland, flatland. If you want more info on it read the last paragraph in this post, but i want to get to the point.
I was considering adding some new things since I can never seem to leave things at good-enough and have a never ending desire to tinker. These things included the MyPet plugin, Kit PvP, and the MobArena plugn (info below). Do you think this would violate the server's goal of being a simple server? Would these additions make it too complicated or make it just another typical bukkit server? If you were playing on a simple survival and creative server would you welcome these additions? I want to know if it is a good or bad idea. Other ideas are welcomed to. If you have any requests or suggestions.

MyPet: Claim a mob as a pet by killing it with a lead. You can only have one pet, to have a different mob as a pet you must delete your previous pet. Pet will level up. Pet will get stronger. Pet can fight against mobs for you.
KitPvP: join a game with as many people as you like. Designated start and end time. Has lobby and multiple games running. Ends when a player gets x kills.
MobArena: Waves of mobs to fight off.

The server: The server has a survival world and two creative worlds. The first creative world is a plotland with 72 by 72 plots. All players can access this world since it is protected. We have an autorank plugin that promotes you based on time online. Players will gain access to the flatland world (30 blocks deep) once they are on for X many hours. Survival has chest protection and mcmmo. NO factions, NO towny, NO economy. 7 /homes and no teleportation delay. use em' how you want to, its your game. explosions and fire are enabled and blocks damaged by them will regenerate after a set amount of time. Optional pvp toggle.
PMC: http://www.planetminecraft.com/server/theug/
Altitude Community
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Puncher

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/03/2015 2:45 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
elfin8erYou don't really need a huge complicated economy plugin. Just something that players can use to buy/sell/trade with each other. You don't even need server shops. Just add a real basic economy plugin, and an auction plugin, and you're good to go. Maybe setup the economy plugin so that people can send money to each other?

You don't even need an auction plugin (in this server's case, since even a mere economy plugin can cause a bit of probs, having an auction system would kinda break a lot of the simplicity rules, since it powers a very strong market). Most, if not all, of my past servers all ran on iConomy and ChestShop alone. And if we don't need shops, then just keep iConomy. It gives players wallets, and allows sending of money. It's crucial for basic trading, and it'll hardly add much features or complexity to the server.

I suggest to OP to just add ONE more thing; a simple economy plugin like iConomy or others. Something that provides storage for money and money-sending features. No more. Don't get a shop plugin, don't get an auction plugin, don't get an overpowered economy plugin that has it all. Just get this one basic thing. It'll make the players far less furious.

*EDIT* Other than that, I think the server should be left alone as is...
04/03/2015 2:17 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
Braytography
No it does not have an economy. Some people have requested it but I am avoiding it for a couple reasons. First and foremost, shops cause a LOT of lag. I have tried a couple different plugins, but both had a huge drop in fps and spike in response time for players when they entered the server shops. Second, economies need to be managed closely and set up very carefully to prevent manipulating. Sure, I COULD just set it up, choose some prices, leave it be. But to really be a strong functioning economy it has to be set up to prevent people from getting rich too fast and prevent inflation. I dont have the experience or knowledge to do this. Finally, if an economy were added it would open up all new possibilities for the server and potentially change it a lot.

You don't really need a huge complicated economy plugin. Just something that players can use to buy/sell/trade with each other. You don't even need server shops. Just add a real basic economy plugin, and an auction plugin, and you're good to go. Maybe setup the economy plugin so that people can send money to each other?
04/03/2015 12:03 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Altitude Community
Snowyfox I believe there will soon be a ton of dudes coming who are saying that having less than 10 unnecessary plugins is completely okay or even less than enough, but for someone like me who has ran a simple server before, you don't need those things.

I completely agree. Not only do you not NEED those things, but 9 plugins can go a LONG way. 9 plugins can get you an entirely new server. To add all of those features, I only needed 4 new plugins. I think that anyone saying "as long as you have less than 10 unnecessary plugins your still simple/vanilla" is just trying to hide the truth that their server isn't vanilla at all. Really, once a server gets above 50 plugins its just too much. No matter what the server is.

SnowyfoxDoes your server have an economy?

No it does not have an economy. Some people have requested it but I am avoiding it for a couple reasons. First and foremost, shops cause a LOT of lag. I have tried a couple different plugins, but both had a huge drop in fps and spike in response time for players when they entered the server shops. Second, economies need to be managed closely and set up very carefully to prevent manipulating. Sure, I COULD just set it up, choose some prices, leave it be. But to really be a strong functioning economy it has to be set up to prevent people from getting rich too fast and prevent inflation. I dont have the experience or knowledge to do this. Finally, if an economy were added it would open up all new possibilities for the server and potentially change it a lot.
04/03/2015 2:46 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
It's all up to you and your community. It's not really something that anybody else can decide for you. I run a private vanilla server (not even bukkit) that we'll be adding plugins to once Sponge is released. However, we're aiming to still keep the vanilla feel. We'll be adding an economy plugin, auction plugin, auto-rank, and maybe mcmmo (if it gets re-released).

We've also decided that some of the more basic plugins will be manually coded by our community. We decided this because if we can code it in a few days, then it's probably simple enough not to hinder our experiance too much

Well written intro btw xD
04/03/2015 2:34 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
As a person who runs "simple" servers...

Yes, you are violating the concept. I believe there will soon be a ton of dudes coming who are saying that having less than 10 unnecessary plugins is completely okay or even less than enough, but for someone like me who has ran a simple server before, you don't need those things.

Do what you need to keep the population happy, though.
Based on your plugins, they aren't really content-heavy; they're semi-essential for a happy community. And the rest of the server seems pretty okay from how you describe it.

I personally approve of how you currently have it. As for features that a simple server should have...

Does your server have an economy?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome