What do you think

jjguy555's Avatar jjguy5552/11/13 4:38 pm
2/11/2013 7:18 pm
arrodar's Avatar arrodar
I am a Skinner and looking at my skins I noticed how they aren't very realistic. In this sense I'm talking about shading.Shading is a big NEED when it comes to making skins. I have tried and haven't seemed to find my idea anywhere. so here it is, What I think would be nice is a program where you upload a skin you have already made (non-shaded) pick a "shading template" press the shade button and POOF your skin is auto shaded according to your template of choice. This can be done with gimp and other programs but I would like for people to have a greater access to this. I know already there will be someone out there who is gonna post a comment saying, That is so stupid! I worked really hard on shading my skins by hand its not fair! well that is exactly why I want to know what people think about this, you would never have to spend an hour or more just shading, all you would have to do is get the flat colored skin and POOF automatically done for you in seconds! Tell me what you think of this in a comment and if any of you would even know how to start coding this.EDIT: people would also be able to create there very own shading template, also the can use multiple templates ex): hands arms chest ect.**ATTENTION** !!THIS IS FOR QUESTION PURPOSES ONLY PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL WITH YOUR ANSWER!!
jjguy555
Level 20 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

arrodar
02/11/2013 7:18 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Mountaineer
if just anyone could shade, it would no longer be an art. and really, it's more of taking time and paying attention than it is an actual challenge, I used to think skin-making was impossible, but I've uploaded about 7 skins that easily recognizable as characters when I actually tried. it. Shading and skinning are works of patience, hang in there kid.
janidorr
02/11/2013 6:41 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
This just ruins the challenge of shading and skinning. No challenge = no fun.
LucaPaolo
02/11/2013 6:31 pm
Level 1 : New Narwhal
If this is true that sucks.. I just got into skinning and I literally spent AGES shading... And i made like 5 skins Now people can press a button and *POOF*
Azie
02/11/2013 6:38 pm
She/Her • Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump Pokemon
It isn't true. It's just an idea suggested by the original author.
the_soup
02/11/2013 6:44 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
No, there are shading 'templates' that people can just paste over their skins. They're pretty obvious and boring-looking, though.
ThaumasTheIceBeing
02/11/2013 6:09 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Might get a lot of people in trouble for not making their skins entirely by hand...
ventie81
02/11/2013 6:14 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Yeah ppl getting flagged by the dozens....
Typhlosionboy
02/11/2013 6:08 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Bunny
Worst idea ever!
I would never want something like that!
It's super lazy! If you want to shade, learn how to! Don't let somebody else or a program do it for you. It's just really lazy. I would rather have 1 badly shaded skin then 100 shaded skins that i didn't even shade, at least i tried to shade with that one badly shaded skin.
ventie81
02/11/2013 6:07 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Well wouldn't it become too easy to make a skin?
For example, you're not gaining anything by climbing the himalaya's if
you're sitting on a lama wich is leashed to a guide who knows the easy way up...
eeehm yeah what i'm trying to say is: where's the fun in that?
And if you can't do it by yourself maybe you shouldn't be doing it at all. Don't get me wrong i think that everyone has the right to be creative, but if you want the fast and easy way you're not being very creative imo.... besides wouldn't they all look the same
more or less?
the_soup
02/11/2013 6:38 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
I'm totally calling template/gradient shading llama shading from now on.

Also, yeah, shading isn't necessarily *easy* to learn, but it's very possible to learn it with a little practice and experimentation. Not having to hand-shade your skins would take away most of the artistry required in good skinning, and without the artistry what's the point of making skins at all?
-Rusty-
02/11/2013 5:53 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
Vinneax
TheRustyCreeperWorst... Idea.... Ever...

Most... Worst... Idea.... Ever...

Totaly... Agreed...
jjguy555
02/11/2013 5:51 pm
Vinneax
TheRustyCreeperWorst... Idea.... Ever...

Most... Worst... Idea.... Ever...

its just a concept that is why I'm not really caring that you say its a bad idea. this is the reason i asked
-Rusty-
02/11/2013 5:19 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
Worst... Idea.... Ever...
morg555
02/11/2013 4:50 pm
Level 24 : Expert Skinner
Um... what if you only want shading in certain spots or you want some part of the skin shaded differently then the other parts. It would be useful but people who use shading a lot won't use it because they know what they want and how to do it.
Azie
02/11/2013 4:58 pm
She/Her • Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump Pokemon
Exactly.

I could see a lot of people using this idea, but then we would have the problem of a bunch of terrible skinners shading skins by basicly part-picking... and this world does not need any more part-picking. I say, if you want a shaded skin, learn how! I'm not very good at shading myself, but I would rather make something cool and original on my own instead of letting someone else's template do it for me.
jjguy555
02/11/2013 5:17 pm
i totally understand where both of you are coming from. This is just a concept that I thought if added would make skinning so much easier as to the part of the skin shaded differently than other i will add right now that users would be able to make a shading template of there own this way if you want results of shading to be the same as another skin the previously shaded that would be possible. as to the people know what they want sentence this would be more for beginners.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome