Why don't dev just add mods to the game ?

Enaross's Avatar Enaross6/19/19 9:22 pm
6/27/2019 4:50 pm
Sir_Craftypants's Avatar Sir_Craftypants
Hello boys, after a long break and seeing some videos about mods of this game, i just thought: why don't the dev just take the best mods existing and add them into the game ? Not that i don't like what the dev are doing,so far I've enjoyed the game since alpha, but i think (correct me if I'm wrong), that the content created by modders and fans his 1000x time superior (in number) to the content that the dev team create. So i was just wondering that, why don't they take the best mods and put them into the game (with creators consent). I'm mean, people are literally creating content for free, maybe mojang could just ''buy'' the mods, or hire the creators and it be cheaper than the whole process of creating an update like 1.13 or 1.14.

If you have any answer or idea, please tell me.

PS: this can apply to every updated game with a modding community (paradox, civs, ...)
Enaross
Level 30 : Artisan Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/27/2019 4:40 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
fadedstar25
I don't think they should implement the features from the mod, but maybs they could make it easier to get mods in? Like maybe you could have another menu like you do with the resource packs, like they did in the past
06/23/2019 5:23 am
Level 27 : Expert Skinner
ImYourEnder
The horse models and maybe AI were taken out of the Mo'Creatures mod by DrZhark because he was hired by Mojang and the pistons were also taken from a mod.
06/22/2019 5:05 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Magical Girl
SomeBasilKinGirl
They have stated that they won't be incorporating common/well known aspects of mods into the game. However, if anything, they could at least make Optifine functions (shaders, zoom, FPS enhancement, etc.) into the game. This is one specific mod that has been requested as a part of the base game frequently.
06/22/2019 12:15 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Wolf Whisperer
Myyoyo
Because not everyone like those mods.
06/22/2019 4:45 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
Enaross
Yeah, but like not everyone could like 1.13 or 1.14, nothing 100% loved.
06/23/2019 4:45 amhistory
Myyoyo
Exactly. That's why the mods exist.
06/22/2019 12:05 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
geocool8
Devs added  sticky pistons which were mods before.
06/22/2019 11:46 am
Level 82 : Elite Explorer
ApexMCGaming
Mods are popular because they allow people to play the way they want. If microsoft started adding mods into the game then they are basically forcing you to play a certain way.
06/22/2019 8:07 amhistory
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I don't know about 'best', but the latest updates do in large part consist of random gimmicks I'd consider better suited to mods.

Mods are an extension and the idea other than the above is to keep the premise basic. If people would like more, they can mod it in. You might as well ask why skyrim doesn't include official compilations.

Part of the reason is that modder's works are their own and the work cannot simply be lifted, but it has to be more than that - if the devs cared, they would make an arrangement that could handle this. It is completely possible. Thus, I stick to the above with the additional incentive of not wanting to do it for financial and rights reasons.
06/22/2019 8:20 am
Level 41 : Master System
Devi The Panda
@Nitwick It's not that the Devs don't care. It's the fact that the only one who actually does anything there still is Dinnerbone. He's the reason Java is still alive. If y'all wanna put blame and hate on minecraft devs do it to Microsoft's "Marketing Team" since they are all the ones pushing ideas and forcing the devs to make stupid crap.

As for the idea above, Yes I'd love to see something that makes it easier for new modders to mod minecraft however at the same time, the implication is already there. Open up your %appdata% and find .minecraft and go to mods.. Simple as that.

and kebe3 They are introducing new stuff for the future generations. A lot of us are gettin' older and a lot of us have moved on which saddens everyone who does leave. Blizzard Entertainment did the exact thing. They over stepped in the eyes of the nostalgic players and to the new ones it made it more unique and more enticing for them to play. To put it simply: No one likes change, but it's gotta happen because we aren't the only generation that's gon' be experiencing it.
06/22/2019 8:38 amhistory
raidarr
If you want to attribute hate and blame to people, do it on a post that actually attributes hate and blame. I described legitimate philosophies, and it is you who attributed it to not caring or outright being lazy. The rest of what you posted isn't even on topic to what I commented. Your @mention is unnecessary as this section works in subthreads, and the later part of your comment could be replied directly onto kebe's post. His, like most of what you wrote, is not relevant to mine.
06/22/2019 9:11 pm
Devi The Panda
So much hate towards me for my opinion, sheesh.
06/22/2019 9:48 pmhistory
raidarr
Users who conflate addressing terrible arguments with personal attacks and fail to see the point in what is written repeatedly and seemingly deliberately do receive strongly worded responses when people are being honest, yes.

I don't need the approval of someone who carries these sorts of replies around as you do. In my book, your enmity is evidence of all being as it should be. It is good that we are clear on that. Someone incapable of seeing a discussion as anything but personal references is not the sort of person I need to be considered 'nice' by.
06/22/2019 10:09 pmhistory
Devi The Panda
Who said it was approval? If anything you using "big words" makes you look like a egotistical snob now.
06/22/2019 10:02 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Scribe
Spirit Boston
Just use "combine" to save your finger from that one extra keystroke.
06/22/2019 9:51 pm
Devi The Panda
Awe and here I thought you were a nice person. Thanks for the knowledge of what type of person you are :D
06/20/2019 7:18 pmhistory
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
kebe3
I don't think it'd be fair to force a bunch of mods onto the players that prefer simple vanilla minecraft.
Plus downloading and installing mods isn't really that hard, so there really is no point.
06/20/2019 7:17 pm
Level 20 : Expert Birb
sepamc
Mojang does not want to steal the mod creators ideas
06/27/2019 4:50 pmhistory
Level 48 : Master Dinosaur
Sir_Craftypants
Yes and if they did they would be in for some squeaky bum time, if they took one of my mods and added it to Minecraft i'd sue them unless they got my permission first and they paid me royalties. Not that I've got any mods, though I'm working on some.
06/22/2019 12:11 pm
Myyoyo
xD
06/20/2019 6:19 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Simply put, they have stated that they will no longer be ripping ideas from mods.
06/20/2019 10:06 am
Level 37 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Well firstly there is the issue of defining 'best'…
Popular as they are redstone and pistons have their detractors, while supporters of any of MS/Mjs mistakes can also be found.

I doubt the IP issue is the main factor: MS is known for having large numbers of lawyers and a willingness to deploy them.
(That an antecedant version of nearly any addition will likely be found somewhere in previous work is near certain, provided the issued version is not derived from such, this issue may be set aside.)

Looking at the official feedback page, I have been struck by the seeming request that ideas NOT be fully detailed.
Some of this may involve a desire to avoid 'poison pills' in the slush pile, but I suspect more of it is that the devs are wedded to their own vision and are more interested in knowing which parts are most likely to be accepted than actually soliciting outside ideas.
That simply adapting things already added to the game via mods would also likely result in less staffing needs might also be a factor.

Portions of the above considerations could be negated if (as you mention) MS/Mj were simply to buy quit-claims to the mods they wished to adapt.

§ § § § §

From the title, I was expecting a thread suggesting that MS/Mj issue official mods as separate products.

Something like the village raid defense minigame being a recent prime example of something that would fit this concept. As beloved as it may be by some, it is also viewed by others as a greatly disliked departure from mainline MC. [Thankfully, MS/Mj seems to have realized that this idea is not universally loved and placed it under a toggleable gamerule in the latest 1.14 snapshot.]
06/19/2019 10:19 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Ur_a_zombie
I believe they did this to the piston mod, way back
06/19/2019 9:27 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
06/22/2019 8:23 am
Devi The Panda
Well if you flat out just import the mod without permission or partnership it would be...Enaross isn't saying steal it. Simply hiring the creator or buying the mod from them isn't considered Plagiarism since they'd be giving the rights away or partnering the rights with a third party.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome