World Painter

InvisibleFlame's Avatar InvisibleFlame2/16/14 2:05 pm
1 emeralds 407 6
2/16/2014 3:13 pm
InvisibleFlame's Avatar InvisibleFlame
Hey guys,

I just want to start a discussion about WorldPainter as some exciting new things have come to my attention that really matter to me.

First off, I have noticed the quality of custom map submissions here have improved over the course of the two or so months since I started here on PM. People are making better maps I think. More and more people. It's cool! I give more props to those of you who are doing it to create awesome epic maps and taking time as opposed to just slapping something together in an hour only to level up on PM.

Anyway, there was just an update with WorldPainter....and now the "import heightmap" function is working again. I am so excited about this. It wasn't working in the last version and the only version I've used.

Next, I have just discovered in this new update that I can adjust the max brush size to whatever I want. This means I can scale my brushes larger and more how is best for what I want. I am floored with excitement because of this. I can make the brush up to 1000 blocks instead of only 600. Sure it lags a bit but that doesn't matter because it saves time and effort in the long run and allows me to achieve what I want much easier. Was this always an option that I may have missed? Or was it just added. OMG!
InvisibleFlame
Level 35 : Artisan Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/16/2014 3:13 pm
InvisibleFlame
Theairyn
InvisibleFlameI can make the brush up to 1000 blocks instead of only 600. Sure it lags a bit but that doesn't matter because it saves time and effort in the long run

Two problems with this, one, most of the massive terrain builds you see take weeks, and even months. Why? Because they use small brushes, and make it look more detailed. Second, Q - T/E. (Time over Effort)Doing things faster, and things that require less effort don't get noticed as much.

You are preaching to the choir about the time/effort thing. Spending loads of time and effort on maps is what I'm all about. Maybe I didn't explain correctly...

Let me use the following example: Let's say I have heightmap data of a region of hilly countryside in Switzerland. I'm using hills as an example because I don't need to max out the height for them but I can increase my available width. So the hills of Switzerland have unique features that I may want to use actual topographical data to make custom brushes to make those kind of hills. Those kinds of terrain would be hard to try and recreate without a custom brush. So how much topographical information am I going to include in an one particular custom brush if I can only go 600 blocks max? If I try to include a portion of data that is very detailed and is say a 5 mile area of land, representing that portion with 600 blocks is going to be 'under scale' in Minecraft. The hills will be small in game. The details all will be small, too blocky. It won't feel like I'm walking along a realistic terrain but rather walking through a scale model relatively speaking. Some don't see this issue of 'scale' a problem in MC. Personally, I would like a hill to take some time to walk over...and for it to feel expansive and more scaled to real life.

Now, If I can have my brush size be 1000 or even more rather than only 600. Before I may have chose to only have my brush include part of the hill. I can now include a bigger part of land with more details in that brush. It will still be large and to the scale I want. But I am gaining the details that I otherwise could not have duplicated. The best I could have done before was to just shape a region of land from scratch and hope to closely suggest the 'feeling' of the landscape I am trying to replicate. I have spent hours and hour creating custom brushes from scratch that come close to the terrain I was trying to recreate. Now I can download the topography exactly.....include large areas of that data in one brush. And still have good 'scale'.

I hope this makes sense as there are just some situations where this is a huge benefit.
02/16/2014 2:22 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Batman
Tabbin
I use worldpainter, wat do i win ?
02/16/2014 2:13 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Theairyn
InvisibleFlameI can make the brush up to 1000 blocks instead of only 600. Sure it lags a bit but that doesn't matter because it saves time and effort in the long run

Two problems with this, one, most of the massive terrain builds you see take weeks, and even months. Why? Because they use small brushes, and make it look more detailed. Second, Q - T/E. (Time over Effort)Doing things faster, and things that require less effort don't get noticed as much.
02/16/2014 2:10 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
craftykids
People usually use "PMC," not "PM."
02/16/2014 2:10 pm
InvisibleFlame
Just to clarify why having the ability to increase brush size is such a big deal is because it means being able to have a custom brush contain more topographical features and details without losing the proper scale of that terrain 'in-game'. So before I could only have a custom brush be one portion of a mountain to have good scale. Now I can include more........more of the mountain within the same brush. Improves workflow....and allows me to copy real terrain better than I ever could have done from scratch.
02/16/2014 2:07 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
I'm not sure, lol
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome